Driving from Bkk to Savanakhet

Afternoon all.

I'm going to Savanakhet tomorrow to apply for a tourist visa. I was going to take the bus, but since I've just brought the car up here I am now thinking I will drive.

My question is- can I (along with my fiancee, the owner of the car) drive across the bridge and in to Laos? Or will we have to leave the car on the Thai side of the border and if so is there ample, (reasonably) safe parking?

Thank you in advance thumbsup.gif

If the car doesn't have a "passport" you can't cross the border with the car.

You can leave the Car at a Parking close to the border (I left my car there and no problem)

A car passport you can get from your Local Transportation office, same place where you get your Thai driving license

Read here about parking at the border: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/831997-mukdahan-parking-at-border-possible/

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I thought the car passports went the way of the dodo?

Kurt

Incorrect. www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763478-dlt-explains-the-point-of-the-automobile-passport-between-thailand-and-laos/ Cost is 50 to 250 baht depending on the LTD. Vehicle must be in your name not the banks.

270442991_TSS6C-M.jpg

This document is only needed for a car not a bike and is for travel between Thailand and Lao.

Edited by khwaibah