Would you still come to Thailand to Live Today?

NoshowJones

I personally have no problems meeting the visa requirements.

However, I always found it strange that to be allowed to live here, you must prove a monthly income of between 2 and 3 times the average monthly salary an English teacher receives ?

When you know that the native English speaker gets a far higher salary than their Thai counterparts, I cannot see the logic.

Who do they want/need?

OB

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have no problems meeting the visa requirements.

However, I always found it strange that to be allowed to live here, you must prove a monthly income of between 2 and 3 times the average monthly salary an English teacher receives ?

When you know that the native English speaker gets a far higher salary than their Thai counterparts, I cannot see the logic.

Some people might have to prove that, but not everyone.

Thailand is still the most liveable country in the world that I have seen. cheap warm and flooded with girls willing to please you. having said that many people hit a hump, happened to me about year 7 of living here. I got sick of the way Thailand runs and how foreigners are treated. I almost left but after a while I weighed things up and it put things into perspective. it is great here. only thing that will result in me leaving will be taking my kids home to go to school. 15 years back home but I am sure I will be back as long as things don't change too much.

For a start the thais do not want you here but if you leave can you please leave your atm card at the gate,they are so thick you think about they do not want you here but you probaly spend more in a month in thailand

than thai do,yet the immigration are so far up there <deleted> they cannot see that,we are good for every thing here,we buy cars we buy motor bikes all with vat,you would think they would open there arms to us but sadly they really do not want you here.

Having lived here for nearly forty years and dealt with the changing visa landscape over that time, I guess I can sympathize with those who wish to stay here but find it difficult. The thing is, anyone reading TVF would think the only reason for people to come here is for available sex.

Foreigners don’t do themselves any favors with the things they say so loudly about Thailand and Thai people. I am surprised Thais are as tolerant as they are when it comes to allowing people to live here.
As for the original question, I can’t imagine moving here in my sixties but if I could go back in time and arrive again in my early twenties, I doubt I would change anything. My life here has been so amazing that if I could do it all again, I would.
Edited by villagefarang

No.

EU senior on many retirement visa extensions already.

I spent the last 17 years of my active life working in Indonesia and Papua NG so BKK was an often visited playground for me.

I retired in BKK and Pattaya at a rather early age.

Quite happy the first years. I was a beerbar girls fan.​

I speak a working Thai.

Three years ago I finally settled down with a young Pattaya Isaan FL.

We'll soon move to Ubon where I'll buy her a car and a house.

But I wish I had retired in Ecuador or Argentina instead.

I speak Spanish.

Way too late to make a move now.

Anyway much better to idle my Golden Years here in LOS than in dreary farangland ...

" If you wanted to come and live in Thailand today, and are over fifty, did not have the money to put in the bank for a retirement visa. would you still come?​"

I have serious doubts . The visa requirements are ok. My perception, right or wrong, is that there is a general deterioration in crime and lawlessness. Yes, I know people will say this is true all over the world. I am replying to the question posed. I am not prepared to argue. This is my truthful answer to the question posed.

Still under 40. Came at 29. Would defo come today all over again. Many more opportunities here now. The dynamics have changed too. It's no longer just a place old men come to hang out with / sleep with hookers. Every major city is thriving with young westerners doing all sorts of wonderful, entrepreneurial things, many with other young Thais too. That's a key difference I've notice in the last 7 years – middle class Thais and young westerners forming friendship groups and mixing on an equal level. There's loads going on in terms of art, music, hollistic health and online ventures.

I am over 50 and quite enjoy my time here. That said I prefer (in the past) getting a triple entry

tourist visa and then a further single entry tourist visa to round out a one year stay here. It is

what I find simple and works for me. Then a year back home to fulfill all compulsory family

functions. Not sure how the METV will work for me. I plan to get my single entry tourist visa

in Vietnam and will spend two weeks there to check out Nha Trang as a possible alternative

to Thailand. Personally I think I am a very average guy. As most people are I am a creature

of habit and convenience. I will keep coming back to what I like but I am a wanderer as well.

I do not see Thailand making things easier for me (or others) and if I like Vietnam that is

where I will hang my hat in the future. As a very average person I also know if I am thinking

this, many others are as well. When the straw breaks the Camels back, that is that. Thailand

should think very carefully about what direction it is taking with long term tourist/ex-pats.

I spend about a million baht a year here (some spend a little less, many a lot more) Long

term tourists/ex-pats smooth the tourist economy out between low and high season.

We rent or buy condos driving the construction industry. All that said the government seems

to just want to chase Chinese tourist numbers. I am left scratching my head. whistling.gif

My resettling to Thailand would have happened a lot differently -- or maybe not at all -- had I embarked on it now rather than four years ago. I came to do freelance travel writing; for the first year I used tourist visas and for the second I did an Ed. visa. After those years I was offered a full-time gig and was able to switch to a Non-Imm M, which I'm about to extend for another year. If I'd started now, I probably would have been forced to spread myself around the region more, covering some of the other countries rather than focusing mostly on Thailand as I've done. Who knows? Maybe I would have decided to settle in one of them instead. But actually, if I were just moving to the region now, I'd also have misgivings about settling in Thailand due to the current political climate. Explaining to my American family how I can now live under military junta rule is not so easy.

Still under 40. Came at 29. Would defo come today all over again. Many more opportunities here now. The dynamics have changed too. It's no longer just a place old men come to hang out with / sleep with hookers. Every major city is thriving with young westerners doing all sorts of wonderful, entrepreneurial things, many with other young Thais too. That's a key difference I've notice in the last 7 years – middle class Thais and young westerners forming friendship groups and mixing on an equal level. There's loads going on in terms of art, music, hollistic health and online ventures.

Spot on. Have a like, son

OB

I wouldn't.

Other than low cost of living and the ability to receive offshore income without any tax involved, I didn't find any advantages over my home base.

I'm not retired, and Thailand can't provide me with the business or job opportunities I'm seeking.

Also the weather is usually too hot to enjoy outdoor activities, has less parks and recreational areas (talking about the bkk area), more polluted and dirty, less cultural activities (that I'm interested in), and of course not much English is spoken and the Thai language is difficult to master.

Although if I was a retiree on a not-so-high income, my POV might have been different.

I worked for some hard headed old greaseballs in my days and one of their quotes was "There is a solution to everything, except death" and while I am at it also "Mountains never meet, but people do", and my favourite "Money does not have legs"

God bless the old school Italians but for their temper!!

Wanna come to Thailand, over 50 no problem, with a positive attitude there is a way, because in that country, everything is "Subject to negotiation" and many deals are made on emotion rather than facts, which can be a good/bad thing depending which side of the stick you are standing.

You have a point, but there should be some sort of visa to allow the under fifties to retire here provided they are

contributing to the economy.

The elite visa is only for the rich who can afford to lose 500.000 Baht every five years, not fair I would say.

What sort of visa is there for the under fifties to retire here, that is nothing to do with tourism, and they don' want to get married.

Thailand needs to have a big rethink about this.

Why do they need to do anything? People who have a legit job can get a work permit and visa. Tourists can get a visa waiver. Longer term tourists can get a METV.probably a reason for that staring one in the face.

If there is no visa type that suits someone's needs there is

OB

Longer term tourists can get a METV. It is totally unreasonable to expect the average person to pay out the equivilant of 100.000 Bt per year with nothing in return.

What is OB?

Don't they get a visa? What are the monetary requirements for somewhere like Australia? Much much more. 100k is actually pretty cheap for residency.

OB

Have't you heard the latest. Australia is granting residency visas to Chinese as long as they fork out $1,100,000:00 AUD and buy shares when they apply. Talk about one rule for the rich and sod all for others. It takes $7,000:00 AUD and two years of red tape to get a spouse visa (and there is still no guarantee). Thailand is by far the cheap option here.

Yes, I would. I'm under 50.

Glad to hear it, did the METV not affect you at all? Maybe you go back to the UK every so often

and the METV suits you.

I'm not on a tourist visa - I live here.

I know there are ways for expats, especially under fifties, to live here all the time ie, working here, the elite visa etc.

It is nice to see you are happy here, so am I. The new visa rules don't affect me, but I think the Thai government is being very unfair on some expats.

Visa in Thailand is much easier to obtain and much cheaper than any other country in Asia.

One year Visa in Philippine is 10 time more expensive,in Cambodia few times.

In Vietnam almost imposibble get long term Visa.Same in Lao if you are not married.

In India is incredible expensive,same in China and you need a lot paperwork as well!

Retirement Visa is very easy to get here,same as marriage Visa(little a bit more hassle,but easy)!

All Visas are VERY CHEAP as well!

I first came to Thailand 50 years ago and loved it then and still love it today. The only thing I do not care for is the Immigration situation- no consistency and too haphazard. In addition, if you are married you joint assets, houses and cars, mean nothing regrading Immigration.I have learned to accept it, but I do not like the bureaucracy As far as entertainment, while I don't hang out much anymore, it was a lot more fun years ago. Thailand is starting to adopt too many of the things that puts government too much in one's life.

Edited by Thaidream

I have. I am 65 and have been here since June 6th. Vietnam is intriguing but Thailand is much easier in terms of visa matters. Just did my first 90 day report yesterday. A breeze, as was the retirement visa process. Once you know the requirements, everything takes care of itself.

I am over 50 do not have 800,000B on the bank I am not married I have only small pension but hey I can not live on my country with my pension ..... only here I can and very well.

Paying for a new car every month eat very well very happy so get out of this land if you do not how to live in a beautiful country like this one with friendly people even when they charge you more because UR foreign person ,,,,, so what a couple of dollars is nothing for us but big money for a Thai person I know when I get ripped off ... no worries mate not a big drama ....

So Yeahhhh learn how to live in this country and you will never leave ......

And do not forget all the kind people around that only help you and ask for nothing just your friendship and thanks .....Think about this because you talk....

Maybe u never be happy in countries like This .....

Still under 40. Came at 29. Would defo come today all over again. Many more opportunities here now. The dynamics have changed too. It's no longer just a place old men come to hang out with / sleep with hookers. Every major city is thriving with young westerners doing all sorts of wonderful, entrepreneurial things, many with other young Thais too. That's a key difference I've notice in the last 7 years middle class Thais and young westerners forming friendship groups and mixing on an equal level. There's loads going on in terms of art, music, hollistic health and online ventures.

Good lord! Someone that actually lives in the same Thailand I do, rather than the one that everyone on here seems to talk about.