Would you still come to Thailand to Live Today?

NoshowJones

So these young people are opening Thai companies registering for VAT and employing 4 thais for their entrepreneurial endeavors ?? Thats not what I have seen over many years in many locations..

Sure many employees.. And many cashed up already older guys having a go at something.. A few younger guys trying something with the Thai wife (restaurant etc).. But young wheeler dealer entrepreneurs ?? Starting Thai companies ??

Really dont see it.. Anywhere from Phuket to Chaing mai let alone 'every major city thriving with them' !! Not only not routinely dont see it, but nearly never.. Most younger types barely pay the rent, let alone the overheads of Thai legit corporate systems.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So these young people are opening Thai companies registering for VAT and employing 4 thais for their entrepreneurial endeavors ?? Thats not what I have seen over many years in many locations..

Sure many employees.. And many cashed up already older guys having a go at something.. A few younger guys trying something with the Thai wife (restaurant etc).. But young wheeler dealer entrepreneurs ?? Starting Thai companies ??

Really dont see it.. Anywhere from Phuket to Chaing mai let alone 'every major city thriving with them' !! Not only not routinely dont see it, but nearly never.. Most younger types barely pay the rent, let alone the overheads of Thai legit corporate systems.

Re-read my post. Where did I mention entrepreneurial? I said they have a work permit and visa. Think you are responding to the wrong person.

OB

Yeah I would...No longer under fifty → but life is for Living.....

I like it here....

I like it here too, but you probably have either the retirement or marriage extensions.

But we have to think of those who can't afford the money in the bank, and don't want to get married

I know some posters will say if you can't afford it you should not be here, but again that is not fair, depending on your lifestyle

depending on where you stay, with cheap rental accommodation, cheap

transport, and cheap food.

"...but again that is not fair..."

You sound like some little kid whining about his parents not buying him something all the other kids have. Apparently being fair means give me whatever I want because I want it.

"it can be very easy to live on say 20.000 Bt per month"

And why is it fair for Thailand to have you here as an economic refugee? Not everyone is entitled to live here anymore than are all the economic refugees flooding into Europe.

I could probably pitch a tent and manage to live day-to-day on the Mall in front of Buckingham Palace and it's just unfair that they won't let me. Bwaaaahhh.

You are just like an overgrown kid writing such garbage. Bwaaaahhh Gees, that's just making me as bad as you, now just run along.

Here we go again with the older versus younger argument. The real problem in Thailand is that the Thai people are really tired of the amount of tourists, English Teachers; Farangs without jobs, and others floating about and intruding into their culture. Because of the ease of Visas in the past, Thailand has become for lack of a better word overrun by Farangs of every type. They have tried to bring their own prejudices; love of all things Western; and way of doing business to Thailand and the Thai people are quite tired of it. When I came here 50 years ago, it was hard to find a Westerner. People actually stared at you because you looked 'different'.Now, because of unfettered tourism and easy entry requirements, people have lumped us altogether. While Thai people are still friendly, the are not as open as they were. There are too many foreigners here who have tread on Thai culture and traditions and officialdom is set to stop it.

The fact is Thailand does not want Western entrepreneurs; digital nomads; or criminals on the run from justice. They don't care if you have millions of dollars; pounds or Euros to live here. They have their own way of doing things and you aren't going to change it. You tried but it doesn't work. They do want older retirees here because those who are older are not brash; live quietly and are not prone to tell the Thai people how they should live their lives. I am not against youth or the young. However, it's not my choice and I am telling you what I see and know from my experience here. If I was in my 20's Thailand is not where I would be living because there is not a real future here for you.

"Yes I would (I am under 30). Simply because I make more money here than back home (salary would be pretty much the same but life is cheaper here)."

Riiiiiight.

What kind of job can a Farang do in Thailand that is:

1). Legal.

2). Pays same in Thailand as another country with higher median wages.

Edited by SiSePuede419

"Yes I would (I am under 30). Simply because I make more money here than back home (salary would be pretty much the same but life is cheaper here)."

Riiiiiigt.

1). Legal.

2). Pays same in Thailand.

I know a few teachers that fit the bill.

Riiiiiigt.

1). Legal.

2). Pays same in Thailand.

I know a few teachers that fit the bill.

Banks

OB

Re-read my post. Where did I mention entrepreneurial? I said they have a work permit and visa. Think you are responding to the wrong person.

OB

when you replied to this ??

Still under 40. Came at 29. Would defo come today all over again. Many more opportunities here now. The dynamics have changed too. It's no longer just a place old men come to hang out with / sleep with hookers. Every major city is thriving with young westerners doing all sorts of wonderful, entrepreneurial things, many with other young Thais too. That's a key difference I've notice in the last 7 years middle class Thais and young westerners forming friendship groups and mixing on an equal level. There's loads going on in terms of art, music, hollistic health and online ventures.

Good lord! Someone that actually lives in the same Thailand I do, rather than the one that everyone on here seems to talk about.

I never said you did,
But you seem to put down old guys living here legally
And praise young guys doing 'entrepreneurial things' .... without a Work Permit or legal VISA.

All the young people I know working here have a work permit and visa. I think you move in different circles. Perhaps older non professional ones?

OB

When you replied to this..

Really dont see it..

It doesn't exist.

Anyone thinking Thailand abounds with legally-employed young entrepreneurs is horribly mistaken.

I'd be in South America or the Philippines.

Maybe France or Spain.

Anywhere with good cycling weather would do.

Thailand has nothing special ...... temples and hookers.

One you've done a dozen, you've done them all.

If the sum of your Thailand experiences consists of temples and hookers, I really feel sorry for you.

However, as you've previously posted you have a wife and kids here, I suspect you are doing your usual shtick.

OB

Still under 40. Came at 29. Would defo come today all over again. Many more opportunities here now. The dynamics have changed too. It's no longer just a place old men come to hang out with / sleep with hookers. Every major city is thriving with young westerners doing all sorts of wonderful, entrepreneurial things, many with other young Thais too. That's a key difference I've notice in the last 7 years middle class Thais and young westerners forming friendship groups and mixing on an equal level. There's loads going on in terms of art, music, hollistic health and online ventures.
Good lord! Someone that actually lives in the same Thailand I do, rather than the one that everyone on here seems to talk about.

I never said you did,

And praise young guys doing 'entrepreneurial things' .... without a Work Permit or legal VISA.

All the young people I know working here have a work permit and visa. I think you move in different circles. Perhaps older non professional ones?

OB

I don't see the word entrepreneurial in my response.

Try reading again?

OB

OB

I never said you did,

OB

Try reading again?

OB

your aware its a conversation right ??

Your aware that when one person makes a nonsense claim.. Which is then countered by others, and you back up that persons claim with "every one of those I know has the legal paperwork" and a superior "you just move in different circles" it then makes the point your agreeing with said person in the conversation ??

Its a thread.. You had a point.. Not just posting tourettes.. Either you were replying to the claim that was quoted or the post is irrelevant.

I maintain.. There is no 'thriving communities of westerners legally being wonderful entrepreneurs in every major city' in Thailand.. No matter what 'circles' anyone purports to hang out in.. Its a nonsense statement and total falsehood. Agreeing with it is equally dumb.

Here we go again with the older versus younger argument. The real problem in Thailand is that the Thai people are really tired of the amount of tourists, English Teachers; Farangs without jobs, and others floating about and intruding into their culture. Because of the ease of Visas in the past, Thailand has become for lack of a better word overrun by Farangs of every type. They have tried to bring their own prejudices; love of all things Western; and way of doing business to Thailand and the Thai people are quite tired of it. When I came here 50 years ago, it was hard to find a Westerner. People actually stared at you because you looked 'different'.Now, because of unfettered tourism and easy entry requirements, people have lumped us altogether. While Thai people are still friendly, the are not as open as they were. There are too many foreigners here who have tread on Thai culture and traditions and officialdom is set to stop it.

The fact is Thailand does not want Western entrepreneurs; digital nomads; or criminals on the run from justice. They don't care if you have millions of dollars; pounds or Euros to live here. They have their own way of doing things and you aren't going to change it. You tried but it doesn't work. They do want older retirees here because those who are older are not brash; live quietly and are not prone to tell the Thai people how they should live their lives. I am not against youth or the young. However, it's not my choice and I am telling you what I see and know from my experience here. If I was in my 20's Thailand is not where I would be living because there is not a real future here for you.

Have you lived here for 50 years, because if so,where, because they have changed enormously both the country and the people..granted there are too many farangs..mostly to many retirees who don't integrate, don't speak the language, and generally don't care...and consequently have no idea of what is going on around them..at least the young bring energy, travel around etc, there are quite a few successful youngsters around particularly Bangkok.

It isn't a one sided argument like you are making out..

You sound like you once were special because you were a rarity but now your not..life moves on..I couldn't eat a bowl of noodles on sukhumvit at one time without at least 20 people staring..those days are gone..

The Thais have played a large part in ruining Thailand..and didn't need much help from the foreigners..

You will have noticed one thing over the 50 years how the rich Thais exploit/ treat the poor ones..you over estimate the foreign influence, young or old.

I would not come here now, like I did when I was 21..

OB

I never said you did,

OB

Try reading again?

OB

your aware its a conversation right ??

Your aware that when one person makes a nonsense claim.. Which is then countered by others, and you back up that persons claim with "every one of those I know has the legal paperwork" and a superior "you just move in different circles" it then makes the point your agreeing with said person in the conversation ??

Its a thread.. You had a point.. Not just posting tourettes.. Either you were replying to the claim that was quoted or the post is irrelevant.

I maintain.. There is no 'thriving communities of westerners legally being wonderful entrepreneurs in every major city' in Thailand.. No matter what 'circles' anyone purports to hang out in.. Its a nonsense statement and total falsehood. Agreeing with it is equally dumb.

Yep every young person I know. Reiterate different circles. Take that however you like

OB

Pretty much what I've seen too.

Mostly refuse from the west, scroungers and itinerants.

I'd be in South America or the Philippines.

Maybe France or Spain.

Anywhere with good cycling weather would do.

Thailand has nothing special ...... temples and hookers.

One you've done a dozen, you've done them all.

If the sum of your Thailand experiences consists of temples and hookers, I really feel sorry for you.

Not the sum, just the high points.

Really dont see it..

It doesn't exist.

Anyone thinking Thailand abounds with legally-employed young entrepreneurs is horribly mistaken.

Not abounds. There are small, budding start-up scenes mostly in BKK and Chiang Mai, add to that MNC's, NGO's, some experts and diplomats and that's pretty much it. A quick search in LinkedIn is revealing. Perhaps 10-15k 20-40y old farangs at total, mingling in their own circles. It's a tiny subculture at best.

I'm guessing you've not really gone out of your way to meet many young people, though.

If someone is working for Citibank or Deutchbank and gets transferred to Thailand, I'm sorry.

But you just got demoted. Take it off your resume and claim you were an unemployed bongo player, 555.

No Thai bank can legally hire a Farang. Sorry. Not gonna buy that.

Now if you're talking non-retail banking, which is really nothing more than international investment scams, knock yourself out trying to find good "investments" in Thailand.

But that's not what 99.99% of Farangs under 30 do in Thailand, 555

I'm guessing you've not really gone out of your way to meet many young people, though.

I meet plenty of young Thai girls ....... and am married to one who attends CMU.

No, I have not lived here for 50 years. I came when I was 20 years old and realized then that Thailand was a great , fun place but not the place a young person could make a decent living and a plan for the future. A few did stay and did well. I know them all, but they are in the minority. I have returned and worked in the country several times and made decent wages at the time but I always left when the economy went bad and I longed for a decent retirement , because I knew as I got older that I would need the security. I do not denigrate those who want to stay and work here legally. Thailand has changed - some for the better and some for the worse. I am not going to denigrate Thai culture or how Thai's live and work. I do know that the Immigration crackdown is based on the fact that the current government sees unfettered immigration as an assault on Thai culture and traditions. Rightly or wrongly, They have become weary of foreigners working without work permits; thousands of so called digital nomads ; and people opening bars or other businesses and using Thai nominees.

There are virtually no young foreign entrepreneurs who have opened Thai Companies, employing hundreds of Thai people and investing in Thailand. I have been in every Thai province and can state without hesitation it is not happening. there are many who have provided basic funding to their wives or girlfriends opening small shops, restaurants or other business and some are successful- but their impact on the economy is nil. I can tell you one thing for a fact- if you are a Westerner and living in Thailand today and your are in your 20s or 30rds- you are wasting your time and talents. Unless you are the rarity that has an expanding business that will carry you into your 60's you are better off working in you home country. I say this from experience- nothing would be worse than living in Thailand when you are aged without a steady monthly income from a pension. As much as I wanted to stay forever when I was 20, I knew it was a poor choice, so I didn't.

Edited by Thaidream

If someone is working for Citibank or Deutchbank and gets transferred to Thailand, I'm sorry.

But you just got demoted. Take it off your resume and claim you were an unemployed bongo player, 555.

No Thai bank can legally hire a Farang. Sorry. Not gonna buy that.

Now if you're talking non-retail banking, which is really nothing more than international investment scams, knock yourself out trying to find good "investments" in Thailand.

But that's not what 99.99% of Farangs under 30 do in Thailand, 555

Incorrect. I know foreigners who work for Thai banks. Is Thailand a demotion for an investment bank? Possibly but as Long as you can keep your pay grade it's still lucrative and it's a better lifestyle than Singapore. The kicker is Singapore and HK are usually regional so more $ and lower tax.

OB

The junta attitude is that those who are here permanently are valueless.

My take is it's worse. They're starting to see us as threats. This will inevitably be shown in tightening immigration rules, as has already been happening. If it's to become an outright purge .. I don't know. What happened in Burma in the 60's?

Really dont see it..

It doesn't exist.

Not abounds. There are small, budding start-up scenes mostly in BKK and Chiang Mai, add to that MNC's, NGO's, some experts and diplomats and that's pretty much it. A quick search in LinkedIn is revealing. Perhaps 10-15k 20-40y old farangs at total, mingling in their own circles. It's a tiny subculture at best.

I am here in CNX and do hang out in some of the same places as a lot of these 'start up types' I would estimate less than 1 in 20 is legally doing it.. Maybe even down to 1 in a 100..

The few I know who are legal mostly work at the same incubator.. With one other software guy being legal with a full corporation and WP.

I dont count working for an NGO (or MCN) as being a young thriving entrepreneur.

You couldn't hardly get into Burma in the 60's. the longest Visa you could get was 7 days and then had to show foreign currency at the airport upon entry. Actually, during this period- the Thai entry stamp was 15 days with no extension. A Visa was 30 days with no extension. If you wanted a longer stay you had to put the equivalent of $1000 in a Thai Bank- a huge amount of money in those days. The very few who stayed in Thailand during that period were lucky in that at one point , foreigners were offered permanent residence and a lifetime work permit. I know a few people here who actually still have them.

Thailand has always been somewhat xenophobic, but I don't think that the current government is going after the retired people. Most retired are aged, not working or involved in illegal business and have a staid, quiet life. They have assimilated well into Thailand and while they may complain on this forum- they do not generally rock the boat.

Thailand has always been somewhat xenophobic, but I don't think that the current government is going after the retired people. Most retired are aged, not working or involved in illegal business and have a staid, quiet life. They have assimilated well into Thailand and while they may complain on this forum- they do not generally rock the boat.

Off topic now,

I think they want foreigners out for when the shit hits the fan.

Killing your own citizens, nobody cares all that much.

Killing foreigners and some governments kick up a proper stink.

Do not consider living in Thailand. Try Vietnam or Cambodia if you really want to take a chance. Thai men basically are lowlife and a threat to your longevity and health. They have an enormous chip on their shoulder. The roads are killers and there is fair chance you will die if you travel on them, especially in a minibus. The Country is becoming increasingly lawless and the junta is making new rules by the day to get the message out that they do not like falang permanent residents. A recent example is they now want foreign English teachers out of the Country. Falang tourists with their money are fine. Just move on through and give us our money and get going is their policy. The junta attitude is that those who are here permanently are valueless.

In your opinion of course personally all Thai men I have met have no chip on there shoulder indeed are very welcoming and are by no mwas low life if you look at the bas in soi 6 there's some real low lifes there fAlanis of course. Roads are as dangerous in Malta/Columbia/India next time someone blast a horn have a look bet it's a flag. Junta's are just that junta's they come and they go.