Prospects for a Filipina english teacher?

Alk

In my 3 decades teaching in Thailand, Filipinas are not wanted even if they are qualified. Most schools want young,white naive people straight off the boat. Other Asians confuse Thais. The young farangs fit nicely into a pigeon hole. It's face thing. The only places I see these days are Anubaans, who are even taking African women, which was totally unheard of 30 or even 15 years ago. Less racist to blacks but more racist to whites, go figure.

When I met my Filipino colleague for the 1st time, I thought he was Thai.

He's teaching only Anubarns now.

The other days the school director said that he's going to replace him by

a Western teacher for next year, adding that he wants a WHITE teacher

for the kids.

Private school in Korat pays Filipina teachers 15,000B a month. Only one white face at the school as they are trying to push the International school bit. Its a branch of a very large school in BKK.

No Thai teachers at all, only in the Admin section, cleaning and kitchen.

Thai's look down on Filipinas.

coffee1.gif

Maybe it's because they call them "Thailanders". Would piss me off!

• 1 month later...

Hmmm odd, some Pinoy English teachers make over 60K teaching English..

Plenty of highly qualified Filipino teachers in Thailand. I know one lady teaching both English and Japanese and her salary is close to 100k. Edited by balo

I suggest looking at English Programs in government schools. I could be wrong, but I believe they pay Filipino teachers the best, sometimes over 30K per month. That's gonna be lower near the beach/outside of BKK. Also, there might not be as many jobs available down there.

In case it hasnt been mentioned, she could also nanny or work at a restaurant. These would both be undocumented jobs. Restaurant pay is usually very low; but think nannying can pay up to 20K with a bunch of perks. Many foreign and Thai families like to use Filipina nannies bc they can speak English or teach English to the kids.

I visited a Government school in Chiang Rai months ,and I was surprised by the good level of English in most of the students, comparing with other schools. Also another surprise was to find that the Principal and the English teaching director were both Filipinos.

I visited a Government school in Chiang Rai months ,and I was surprised by the good level of English in most of the students, comparing with other schools. Also another surprise was to find that the Principal and the English teaching director were both Filipinos.

Those are probably teachers through an agency. Never known a Thai gov school to hire those positions directly. Probably takes a few years in TH to get there anyway.