reporting an "alien"

I think the online reporting is only if you have a business and have registered accordingly, been accepted, and activated an associated CD that allows online reporting, mainly for hotels, guest houses etc. Complicated isn't it?

And the question about a sub lease, that's a teaser!

Just seen Tywais added the same info.

Edited by Thailand

My main reason to write this post was to get this issue out to the attention of as many people as possible so hopefully not too many would have to pay as I did. Or at least be aware of what is going on!!

Yeah, but problem being, they didn't fine the person responsible.

They fined you and you paid. An easy mark.

Hey, I'm not getting at you or your misses, this is how extortion works.

Thai authorities have an uncanny knack of picking on those who appear weak (or meek).

If they played that game with my misses, it would be an entirely different outcome.

And when they came to try and extort money from her, she would say 'do your worst', then it would quickly become her police captain brother Vs police immigration officer.

I'd like to watch that game. But they would never play it.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Why do you find it necessary to call it extortion when it is the law? As for the 'missus', others have tried that tactic with no luck. Also may put IO in a corner and make it more complicated the next time you need their services. I wouldn't try pushing their buttons and nothing to do with being weak, just smart choices and self preservation.

For the 1st 10 years in Thailand I never did a 90 day report but finally caught up with me at extension time when they also started enforcing the law, as they are now, and had to pay 2000 Baht. Never once considered it extortion as it was the law and I was in the wrong. Don't forget what has been happening in Thailand that may have been the catalyst for this.

Why do you find it necessary to call it extortion when it is the law? As for the 'missus', others have tried that tactic with no luck. Also may put IO in a corner and make it more complicated the next time you need their services. I wouldn't try pushing their buttons and nothing to do with being weak, just smart choices and self preservation.

The law.... we've decided to enforce some rules, there will be a fine next time.

Extortion .... pay us money now or else.

There is a difference.

Anyway, my wife's fines are her business, nothing to do with me if she gets into trouble, she's a grown woman.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Does this mean that when you do a border run to acticate your next tourist visa entry (for those who are still on 2- or 3-entry TR visas), Immigration will need a new TM-30 within 24 hrs? Even if you're still staying at the same place and just do a quick border bouncer?

Edited by FritzB
  • Like 1

My Farang friend went to Immigration near Airport. Got fined 800b.

So they called to Promenada Imm. and received different answers to all the questions you guys have posted.

One office say one thing the other says different.

Along with another Farang friend and his wife, they all went to Promenada. The thai wifes asked two different staff and not the same answers.at the same office.

Ok they started over and went to the head man running the office.

In my original post is what he told them...

No fine for now.

Yellow book does not exempt you from filing.

You leave the country (border run) you file again.

I have heard of owning a condo and renting a house in another town.....maybe they ask the landlord to not file that they will do at their condo...?

This is a new question that Immigration may have to answer like at the Expats club?

That would be a lot of paper work doing that many times...and wasted time for both parties....

I filed with my thai wife at Promenada, TM 30 form, copy passport, front page, and visa, arrival card n stamp. Plus I had copy of yellow book. They wanted the wifes house book but they took mine. Took about 10 minutes...

T.M.30 is about the Thai owner of the property not the renter....

My Farang friend went to Immigration near Airport. Got fined 800b.

So they called to Promenada Imm. and received different answers to all the questions you guys have posted.

One office say one thing the other says different.

Along with another Farang friend and his wife, they all went to Promenada. The thai wifes asked two different staff and not the same answers.at the same office.

Ok they started over and went to the head man running the office.

In my original post is what he told them...

No fine for now.

Yellow book does not exempt you from filing.

You leave the country (border run) you file again.

I have heard of owning a condo and renting a house in another town.....maybe they ask the landlord to not file that they will do at their condo...?

This is a new question that Immigration may have to answer like at the Expats club?

That would be a lot of paper work doing that many times...and wasted time for both parties....

I filed with my thai wife at Promenada, TM 30 form, copy passport, front page, and visa, arrival card n stamp. Plus I had copy of yellow book. They wanted the wifes house book but they took mine. Took about 10 minutes...

T.M.30 is about the Thai owner of the property not the renter....

I am not sure if you feel the same but It sounds very confusing to me. Definitely the law should be clarified and explained!!!

• Like 1

Question of who files..renter or owner of land n house..... take your Thai wife and go to Promenada Imm office and talk only to the office manager. Calling in will get you some staff that probably does not know the correct answer. And a Thai will not tell you that they do not know...

As for all our posters on TV, each may read the rules different.

What I have posted is what the office manager at Promenada office told my friends.

As to OP, if you go there, take the fine paper with you and tell them what happened. They probably can not reverse the fine but will give u an answer on renter owner issue.

Even if u have to go to Airport Immigration cuz of marriage visa, in future I would file at Promenada for form TM30.

Do I understand this correctly. Any time i leave the house and stay the night somewhere else I need to fill out forms. If I go to Bangkok to the embassy i must let immigration know.I am away from my home. Sounds a bit harsh to me.If I go Kah Kha camping how do I do that one,willnot know even what camp ground. They want to know where we are every night? seems like a lot of paper work for them and us.

• Like 2

Do I understand this correctly. Any time i leave the house and stay the night somewhere else I need to fill out forms. If I go to Bangkok to the embassy i must let immigration know.I am away from my home. Sounds a bit harsh to me.If I go Kah Kha camping how do I do that one,willnot know even what camp ground. They want to know where we are every night? seems like a lot of paper work for them and us.

That would be utter madness and I can't imagine any immigration office would be able to deal with that amount of paperwork.

Many here are overstating the requirements and constructing Mountains out of molehills!

That would be utter madness and I can't imagine any immigration office would be able to deal with that amount of paperwork.

I feel the same but TIT and what all these posters have been saying about forms boggles my mind. If the preposted posters are right about this looks like many of us are going to the attitude adjustment center right soon..

• Like 1

I would find it very hard to believe they have anywhere near the physical resources to keep up with the amount of daily movements of all foreigners in Thailand even if it's all computerised.blink.png

Firstly you're only looking at an eight hour working day Monday to Friday whereas people are travelling and changing locations well outside of these hours and continually. Plus the immigration office staff are busy processing applications all day long. They would need to have a huge support staff to keep up with all this data.

• Like 2

The main thing i understood from here is that many people are confused and there are so many different cases. I feel overwhelmed sometimes!!

To be honest there hasn't been a time that I went to the immigration and the documents of the year before were enough. Every year there has been one of few more documents to add. No big deal but frustrating at times.

• Like 1

I must be missing something here. I live in a large condo. So every time I leave for 24 hours+, they need to file a report upon my return? How would they know? Perhaps an addendum to the lease, stipulating my cooperation to facilitate this, and a fee for my failure to to do so, to cover their fine?

Hotels, guesthouses, etc would need to have something akin to airport-gates with key-cards, so they could know when an absence has exceeded the threshold ... to avoid being fined for failure to report. Something doesn't sound right with this.

• Like 1

If I rent apt in BKK with Thai gf, both our names on rental agreement and still keep my condo in Jomtien... back and forth couple times a month, do I have to report? Do I need to clone myself? Never ask a local "How stupid can you get?". Consider it a challenge.

• Like 1

This has got me really confused now!

Can someone clarify my situation as I am sure we have probably violated some immigration laws if I get the gist of this post.

I have yellow book as proof of residence, Thai driving licence, 1 year extension based on marriage, multiple re entry permit.

I worked in China on a 3 month on 1 week off contract for over a year, so I was out of Thailand for a long period of time.

When I returned to Thailand was my wife supposed to report me to immigration on this TM30 form or whatever it is?

I have been filing 90 day reports a few times this year when required.

I also left Chiang Mai and stayed at an hotel in Bangkok for 1 night, is she supposed to report this too?

The land the house is on is in my young son's name, however the blue book will be in my wife's name.

This has got me a bit confused to say the least!

I can't imagine our Condo office reporting who is leaving the country and when we're back.

Actually all the places that rents out long terms rooms, apartments, houses etc. to foreigners, should report them. But I think that most of it don't do it.

I don't think our condo does. Just before I go for my visa extension I go down to the office and ask for a residency renewal paper/letter which they give me. I show this at immigration and they never say anything in fact they pay little attention to it and return it to me. Like everything else here immigration related I think its open for local interpretation/requirement, bad hair day.

• Like 1