Immigrants' spouses 'must speak English before entering UK'

<snip>

BTW, I just did an A1 English level 1 test online - got two wrong.

The question was :-

Fill in the correct prepositions white2.gif We live in correct.gif New York, in wrong.jpg ( on ) The Bowery. We live in correct.gif big apartment on correct.gif the third floor. Our building is near correct.gif the library. near wrong.jpg ( near ) our apartment is a bakery. We are very happy in correct.gif our neighbourhood

How the hell would I know what a Bowery was????

and my Near fault was not wrong?

(A bias against me he he)

Maybe if you tried a test geared toward those wishing to live in the UK rather than one for the USA you would find the questions more relevant!

BTW, the A1 test pass required for a UK initial family settlement visa, and for FLR, is in speaking and listening only. Written English is not required until ILR, when a written LitUK test pass is required as well as a higher standard, B1, in speaking and listening.

• Like 1

I hope Thailand doesn't follow suit.

I wouldn't mind, because it would then mean I get free health care, all the benefits I can claim and a state pension. Oh, sorry, that only applies to immigrant to the UK who can't speak English.

Before making such comments, you really should check the rules.

You'd look less foolish that way!

Apart from the language requirement, which is the actual subject of this topic, immigrants to the UK have to pay a £200 per year NHS surcharge when applying for their visa. As this is worked out to the next 6 months and the initial family settlement visa is valid for 33 months that is £600.

Then when they apply for FLR, they have to pay it again. FLR is valid for 30 months so that's another £500.

This is on top of the application fees, both of which are set way above the cost of processing so already make a large profit for the exchequer.

Plus their sponsor has to meet the financial requirement so is, themselves, already contributing through their taxes and NICs.

In addition, an immigrant's access to public funds is extremely limited until they have ILR, which takes at least 5 years to obtain; even if they, themselves, are working and paying tax and NICs.

• Like 2

But French law cannot prevent a British person bringing their spouse to live in France! Daft perhaps but equal! The so called Surinder Singh route.

Only changes in EU law will change this or a decision to leave the EU. There will be many, many people avoiding national laws this way.

Doctors need to demonstrate a good standard of English. Not sure that the pharmacist does yet. Attempts are being made to change the rules so veterinary surgeons must meet English language requirements. Hopefully it will come to every job where lives are at stake!

Makes you wonder why they don't expect vets to talk dog, cat, turtle and horse.

That comes in the second year of the course and learning is ongoing! My turtle is poor compared to my tortoise but we cannot all be fluent in everything.

• Like 1

<snip>

BTW, I just did an A1 English level 1 test online - got two wrong.

The question was :-

Fill in the correct prepositions white2.gif We live in correct.gif New York, in wrong.jpg ( on ) The Bowery. We live in correct.gif big apartment on correct.gif the third floor. Our building is near correct.gif the library. near wrong.jpg ( near ) our apartment is a bakery. We are very happy in correct.gif our neighbourhood

How the hell would I know what a Bowery was????

and my Near fault was not wrong?

(A bias against me he he)

Maybe if you tried a test geared toward those wishing to live in the UK rather than one for the USA you would find the questions more relevant!

BTW, the A1 test pass required for a UK initial family settlement visa, and for FLR, is in speaking and listening only. Written English is not required until ILR, when a written LitUK test pass is required as well as a higher standard, B1, in speaking and listening.

Thanks for that, I'm afraid that I don't understand the acronyms but in any case, it hardly matters to us now as I explained above in my previous posts.