Good 14 inch laptop?

ev1lchris

14" laptops are no popular as the 13" and the 15.6" I know I was looking for one while there are

some around, choice is limited and they're costly, so go for the 13"....

Actually, the opposite is true. 14" is the standard laptop screen size in Thailand, and it gets a lot more difficult to find something suitable if you want 15.6" or (especially) 13". If you go to a price comparison site such as Priceza and search for laptops, you will find:

332 laptops with 13" screen

2,602 laptops with 14" screen

1,232 laptops with 15.6" screens

You will see the same pattern if you go into any computer shop.

I am in the market for a new laptop and can find many 14" screen laptops that would (otherwise) fit my requirements, but I find that screen size to be too small. Finding a 15.6" screen laptop that I like is a lot harder.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Agree with Sophon based on what I see on display in Bangkok brick-and-mortar stores. 14" most popular, then 15.6" not too far behind, and then few 13" models. Probably pretty close to the same ratio as in Sophon's stats above. In stores, anything they have on display they will have in stock/ready to sell you right now (unless temporarily sold out)....and they only display/sell models "that sell good"....not models they don't sell many of...just good business.

Now of course you can go online and see many different models of each display size, but that really don't say much anything about how many they sell/have in stock based on actual demand & display size

Also, if needing the VGA connector (which the OP said he needed) many laptops still come with that...and some have an HDMI connector also....and then some only have the HDMI connector. Like me I'm shopping to replace one of my laptops, I want a 15.6" model since it will be predominately used within my house only, and I want to get one with a VGA connector since the external monitor it will be used with uses a VGA input connector, no HDMI input. If specifically needing the VGA connector but you get a laptop with only a HDMI connector you'll then need to buy a HDMI-to-VGA converter which don't cost too much but personally I don't know how good they really work as I've never needed to use one.

If small size and weight is a must based on the laptop going mobile/living in a backpack or briefcase then look for the smallest one you can find...probably a 13" model....and maybe even a 10" tablet running Windows would be a better choice. But a 14" model really ain't that much bigger than a 13" model. And if your laptop is really going to live mostly setting on a desk on your residence/business, then get a 15.6" model. Display size is largely a personal preference thing.

I recommend the Dell Vostro 14.

Inexpensive, great laptop, matte screen (no glare), good support. Mine was bought from Big C and has gone all around the world - still going despite being dropped on many continents.

There are plenty of 14" laptops available, but I recommend you buy from Tesco, Big C - or a reputable store that will take care of you if there are problems - if you go to Fortune Town.