Anyone use Glary Utilities app?

xylophone

Not being too much of a computer expert, I thought I would appeal to those of you out on the TV to see if you could help me.

I use Glary Utilities and whenever I undertake the "one click maintenance" and view the results of the "tracks eraser" I always see tracks from IE 5 that need erasing and I can't understand why that is because I don't have Internet Explorer on my computer and anyway I thought that Internet Explorer 5 went by the way a long time ago?

From what I can ascertain IE 5 is included in the "temporary Internet files" part that needs cleaning and this appears every time I elect to use the "tracks eraser" function, so it seems as if IE 5 is used quite often and I can't understand why. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thank you.

Hi

I've been using Glary Utilities for longer than I care to remember and to be honest never bothered to look at Tracks Eraser results.

Figured they are only tracking cookies or something like that so no point checking them.

Ran GUtilities after reading your post and see I have over 1700 tracking files even though I ran GUtilities just a couple of days ago. blink.png

All except 16 of those files seem to have an associations with IE5 w00t.gif

Have had no connection with IE5 since before changing to Windows 7 so have no idea what Glary is up to huh.png

Daffy

Hi

I've been using Glary Utilities for longer than I care to remember and to be honest never bothered to look at Tracks Eraser results.

Figured they are only tracking cookies or something like that so no point checking them.

Ran GUtilities after reading your post and see I have over 1700 tracking files even though I ran GUtilities just a couple of days ago. blink.png

All except 16 of those files seem to have an associations with IE5 w00t.gif

Have had no connection with IE5 since before changing to Windows 7 so have no idea what Glary is up to huh.png

Daffy

Thanks for replying Daffy D, much appreciated.

As for having nearly 1700 tracking files associated with IE 5, well in my limited experience, that is mind blowing!

I wonder if Glary uses IE 5 in its program in an effort to track these files – not that I really understand how these things work, but when I have sent a message to Glary regarding this I don't really get any information, just the following reply, "Thank you for your letter.We are so sorry for the inconvenience firstly. It is the leftover files. You can try to remove them".

No help really.......... any other ideas from anyone?

Before switching to Linux, Glary was a must have program for me. It does a good job at keeping a Windows computer clean.

Keep using it, it does a better job than CCleaner etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

However it keeps finding IE 5 tracks on my computer and I don't know why because I don't seem to have it installed? Is it just a ruse or is there something in my Windows 7 program which is using IE 5 to search for things?

Nothing of any sense back from the Glary helpdesk, other than telling me to delete the tracks, without really answering my question.

Have you tried right clicking on the drive, Properties, and running Disk Cleanup including cleaning up system files?

Thanks for replying Chicog..... I was hoping to get a few experts on here, such as yourself, however I don't think I've explained the problem well enough, so let me try again.

When I run Glary utilities, under the "tracks eraser" section it lists a whole bunch of tracks that need to be deleted/cleaned up and many of these refer to Internet Explorer 5 (IE 5)– – possibly as a search engine?

My query was that I, to my knowledge, don't have IE 5 installed on my computer so how do these tracks get there? Are they used by other programs to search the Internet, or do I have IE 5 hidden away somewhere on my computer?

I will attach a screenshot to this post so that you can see a little more of what I am trying to explain, and any other feedback would be most welcome. Perhaps I am worrying too much about this when it is nothing at all to worry about and is quite normal?

Thanks again.Glary.docx

All Glary is doing by the sounds of it is telling you that you have a load of tracking cookies; I think the IE5 is a red herring.

Just delete them, it's not like they are harmful or useful.

And install something like UBlock in your browser to block them.

Which is why I said use Disk Cleanup to get rid of them.

Not everything Glary (or any other "utility" program) does is not already in Windows; much of the time it's there, just buried away in a menu option somewhere.

Another alternative is to open IE and go to Internet options and delete files from there.

Edited by Chicog

All Glary is doing by the sounds of it is telling you that you have a load of tracking cookies; I think the IE5 is a red herring.

Just delete them, it's not like they are harmful or useful.

And install something like UBlock in your browser to block them.

Which is why I said use Disk Cleanup to get rid of them.

Not everything Glary (or any other "utility" program) does is not already in Windows; much of the time it's there, just buried away in a menu option somewhere.

Another alternative is to open IE and go to Internet options and delete files from there.

Thanks Chicog, put my mind at rest so I will allow Glary to delete them, this especially as they pop up every time I do a "clean".

I don't have IE on my computer (or at least I don't think I do) however that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hmmm!

Did another Glary scan, just a couple of days after the last one and again got about 1500 IE5 files. huh.png

Second scan still showed a few IE5 files and third scan showed 0 clap2.gif

Did another Glary scan after system restart and it showed 50 IE5 files. blink.png

Trying to locate these files I did a search with Search Everything ( http://www.voidtools.com/ ) and that brought up only 25 IE objects so I don't know where Glary gets all his files from. (M$ search did not bring up anything)

The IE5 files can be found here:-

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/temporary-internet-files-folder-location

Starting with Windows Vista, and continuing in Windows 7, the Temporary Internet Files folder is located at:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

In Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 the Internet Cache or Temporary Internet Files are stored in this folder:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

Assuming that your Windows is installed on the C drive. To see it, not only do you have to check Show hidden files & folders option in the Folder Options, but also uncheck Hide protected operating system files/folders option.

I have a feeling that these files don't actually have anything to do with IE5, maybe it's just a leftover name for all temp internet files.

Strange thing, in the search results it lists a "Content IE5" located in my WIN 10 dual boot drive that has no connection with anything IE5.

Clicking on the IE5 folders seems most of them are empty - all very strange facepalm.gif

May be I'll do a delete empty folder run and see what happens rolleyes.gif

If you ever get any feedback form Glary do let us know

Cheers smile.png

Thanks Daffy and Somtamnication............all seems a bit complicated for a novice like me!!

From what you and Chicog have said I don't need to worry about theses so I'll just let Glary find them and delete them!!

As for the Glary help desk, well their answer was less than useless, this although I do like the program itself.

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2015 at 3:13 AM, bendejo said:

I use Glary, but only for registry cleanup. Been using it maybe six months, hasn't broken anything I know of.

Was about to start a new thread but then realised this one was underway and thought I would post something which may be of interest to other folks who use Glary Utilities....

Ever since I bought and installed Windows 10 Home on my computer I have been having "freezes", where everything, including the mouse, freezes and no amount of cajoling using the old control/alt/delete or similar methods works to free it up, so I have to shut it down then start it up and it may or may not do it within the next 24 hours or on one unlucky occasion it froze three times within an hour!

So I had my computer whiz friend round to have a look at it and he couldn't find what was causing it so I had to do some research online myself, and I did try quite a few things and eventually I followed some advice and uninstalled Chrome, Glary, iObit and a couple of other odds and ends I had on the computer. I then followed other suggestions and this seems to have worked as I got no freezes for over a week.

I then thought it would be safe to download a few things, so I started with Glary Utilities Pro and ran it to clean the computer. Within minutes of it finishing its cleaning, the freezing started again, so I uninstalled it and did a system restore back a week and went through all the other steps I'd already undertaken previously and so far, so good (fingers crossed that it remains this way).

So if anyone is using Glary and having some freezing problems, then maybe that is the culprit?? 

Thread resurrection!

Since that November 2015 post I've got a new laptop running Windows 10.  At one point I did a Glary registry cleanup and my Windows installation turned to doo-doo.  Thank goodness I had a recent backup so I was able to get back to normal, and then removed Glary.  I now use Wise Registry Cleaner; I'm not convinced that it does a thorough reg cleanup, but the system keeps chugging along so I don't worry about it. Once in a while I'll run the reg tool in CCleaner when I'm farting around with it, and that's about it for reg maintenance. Life's too short for this stuff, I want an OS, not a hobby.

I don't bother with "registry compactors" anymore either.

Been using Glary Utilities on Win7 for years never had any problems with it.

I am gradually building up a separate drive with Win10 64bit. installing all programs that are on the Win7 disk till I have a good working copy of Win10 before doing away with Win7.

Have installed Glary on Win10 and he's been working just fine so far, but I have many more programs to install before I'm finished so time will tell if Glary will behave himself in the long run.

Don't know if it matters but I don't have Glary for at start up with Windows. I only, use along with a few other programs to clean my system about once a week when I do my regular Back-Ups.

I also have Wise Registry Cleaner that I occasionally use, but that doesn't seem to do much more that the programs that I'm already using.

:smile: 

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

Since that November 2015 post I've got a new laptop running Windows 10.  At one point I did a Glary registry cleanup and my Windows installation turned to doo-doo. 

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Been using Glary Utilities on Win7 for years never had any problems with it.

Both posts mirror my experiences with Glary!!!!!

I used it successfully with Windows 7, so much so that I switched to the PRO version.

Then when I installed Windows 10 I started to get computer freezes, where nothing would move so I uninstalled it and other programs and applications, including Chrome and just ran Edge.

I then followed the instructions on this link below, without installing the "drivereasy" program, and everything seemed to go fine (as well as having my computer whiz friend have a look at the thing). That was until I reinstalled Glary and ran it and very shortly afterwards (I mean minutes rather than hours) the freezing started again!

I have now uninstalled it and gone through the procedures in the link as previously stated, along with using system recovery to take it back to the time prior to the latest running of Glary, and so far, so good.

I see that both of you mention "Wise" cleaner and Bendejo uses CCleaner and I would like to use a program to clean the junk off my system and CCleaner has worked well before, so any comments on the use of either of these?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-10-freezes-locks-up-randomly-easily/#3

The thing about CCleaner I don't see mentioned very often is you can add to the list of things to be deleted on cleanup.  I have a settings file that probably goes back to XP days, with entries referring to things long gone, but they don't hurt so I've left them in. E.g. I don't use any of work directories under C:\Users\<username> as I save my stuff to other partitions, so I'll include \Documents, \Downloads etc.

I also don't like lots of things running at startup.  I have a weekly ritual of cleaning things up and doing a backup.  But I don't monkey with the registry until AFTER the backup, in case the reg utility messes things up.

Edited by bendejo

On 7/10/2017 at 8:20 PM, xylophone said:

Both posts mirror my experiences with Glary!!!!!

Well, I managed t get hold of the latest Glary ( 5.80.0.101) and after a fresh backup did a registry cleanup and defrag.  And the system still runs!   Some pretty nice things in there I hadn't noticed before.  And the cleanup caught stuff Wise didn't, 130 things.

34 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Well, I managed t get hold of the latest Glary ( 5.80.0.101) and after a fresh backup did a registry cleanup and defrag.  And the system still runs!   Some pretty nice things in there I hadn't noticed before.  And the cleanup caught stuff Wise didn't, 130 things.

Hmmm.........won't risk using Glary again in case I get the computer total freeze, which by the way hasn't happened since I uninstalled it and ran a few other "fixes".

Did use CCleaner though and had no probs with that, BUT didn't run the registry cleaner part of it as many folks say that this can be "dangerous" (don't mess with the registry!!). All running fine now.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Did use CCleaner though and had no probs with that, BUT didn't run the registry cleaner part of it as many folks say that this can be "dangerous" (don't mess with the registry!!). All running fine now.

Well, I took the dare and ran CCleaner's reg cleanup.  It turned up over a dozen reg entries for GoogleUpdate.  Having once picked up a piece of crud that was named GoogleUpdate I do not want anything with that name on my system.  After cleaning that up I ran the CCleaner reg tool again and it turned up even more GoogleUpdate things: the only Google program I have installed is Earth, and I delete the update utility.  Cleaned those up, scanned again and no more left, or reported on.  Summation: in my case CCleaner's reg utility caught something both Wise and Glary missed.

If you do a backup you can play around with these things, and if your tinkering craps out the system just do a restore.