Getting from Khon Kaen Airport to Hotel. Limo 50 Baht?

Keith5588

Hi all, I am a 62 year old retired male from the UK. I have been to Thailand 3 times in the past but this will be my first time to Khon Kaen. I will be in Thailand for all of December and most of January. I have been chatting to a Thai lady online and am very much looking forward to meeting her. I have travelled a bit but not that much and I am sure most of you are wiser than myself.

I have seen on two internet sites that after arriving at Khon Kaen Airport you can buy a Limo ticket for 50 Baht before collecting your baggage that will take you to your hotel. Also you can take a taxi that will cost about 150 Baht.

It's not the cost, 150 Baht is cheap relative to UK costs .......... it's just that I am totally confused why a Limo would only cost 50 Baht? I am sure there is something I do not understand.

Thank you

Keith

Keith, a Thai limo isn't a stretch like in western society.

Your hotel will usually collect you for free. Tell them you want this service.

Where is U.K. Are you?

Just keep your wits about you & don't start giving your money away. There is no sick mother, buffalo, sister & her brother won't need your money either. Just be sensible.

Think of things like this, if you met a woman here in the UK & she starts telling you about her sick relatives & money troubles would you :-

1) give here money

Or

2) walk away

Correct, number 2. It's no different other than its hot as you know & the sob stories might keep coming!

Have a good time

Happy Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rocketboy, thank you so much for your reply and advice. I have booked 4 days at a hotel in Khon Kaen via booking.com, I did check and they do not provide any Airport pickup ...... maybe because the place I am staying is approx 500 Baht per night.

I live in Norwich in England. Are you from the UK?

From your user name I guess you are in BKK? I was there recently and stayed in BKK for 4 weeks as I met a lady that worked in BKK. I used Google maps and found a good web site for BKK transport ...... I am easily amused and enjoyed using the large buses and sometimes the river boats instead of the trains.

Your advice is good ...... I try to be sensible ..... I don't think I am that gullible but I may be a little. I have been chatting to a lady named Ploy who I contacted via DateInAsia ....... I know be careful of DIA ......... she had only just joined DIA. She lives 70 km from Khon Kaen and at the moment is harvesting her rice. She speaks just some English and is not very technical, I would like to have used Line Messenger with her but she says she has a very old Nokia phone ....... I think she has been truthful ......

Even if it is not a stretch Limo I am still a little confused why an Airport Limo is only 50 Baht but it doesn't matter too much .... I will have a look in a weeks time.

Cheers

Keith

Thanks again, she did send me a few photo's taken with her son's also old Nokia phone. That she cannot download and run Line Messenger on her phone makes me wonder as she can use her phone to access the internet and DIA .... but I think she has been truthful, she always writes about 7 am or 10 pm Thai time.

I will try to be careful.

Cheers

Keith

There may be a "limousine (bus)" or in reality a shared AC mini bus. But as the airport has a 50฿ charge for taxis a real limousine taxi would be over 200฿.

It will take you about 20 minutes to get into the centre of town if you don't hit the rush hour.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Khon_Kaen

Thanks Jerome, what I read must have been wrong. It didn't make sense and thank you for confirming it.

I lot is new to me including using forum's like this. I am tempted to write more here but it would not have anything to do with the 50 B limo.

Later today I will have another look and see if I can use and send you a PM if it is OK with you, it will help me get used to this site which so far seems to be very good.

Cheers

Keith

Yes when they say Limo from the airport to the hotel, they mean a minibus, that will take up to 15 people (usually less) and will go to many different hotels. Still not a bad way to get from the airport to your hotel. By the way, the older your lady is, probably the better chance she is legit. Also the less English she speaks, probably a better chance also.

.... but if she can access the internet with her phone, then she can download LINE as well. This sounds very fishy to say the least.

Oh and expect the first thing she wants from you is a new sophisticated phone (which then usually a week after you left has been "lost" or "stolen").

GOOD LUCK anyway, hope you are not just the next victim of the Isaan scammers

Thank you all for your replies, I was hoping to find a good forum site like this. Here is a copy of what was on the http://www.khonkaen.com web page.

Airport Limo

When you arrive at the airport you can purchase a 50 baht ticket for the Airport Limo that will take you to most addresses in Khon Kaen City. You can purchase your ticket before you pick up your bags.

When you depart Khon Kaen you can purchase a 150 baht ticket to the airport. They will pick you up at most addresses inside Khon Kaen city.

George - I think you have fully explained my confusion in that the Limo is a mini bus ...... thanks.

Siam2007 - That she cannot use Line Messenger but can access the internet I do not understand. Also she has not been able to tell me the name of her village where she lives. She said it was called Plauynoi but when I could not find it she thinks she wrote it down wrong in English. She wrote it is 70 km from Khon Kaen, 30 km from Ban Phai and it is in Khon Kaen province.

I think she is being truthful and that it is difficult converting from Thai to English plus she is not familar with maps and not that good at English.

I did send a map as a .jpg file to a friend of hers but have not had a reply ...... I will find out soon.

Duncan - I have read about Thai scammers that Siam referred to and I have had a little experience of it myself .... do they read these forums? I am reluctant in stating which hotel I am staying in on an open forum but I would love to meet up with you and others when I am in khon Kaen. Sorry, am I too overly cautious?

Cheers

Keith

Pueai Noi is in the south part of Khon Kaen province, heading towards Maha Sarakham.

When you pick up your luggage on arrival, as you enter the arrival hall, turn left and go to the very end (maybe 30 yards). There you will see a manned desk for taxi meters. You tell him your destination, i.e. your hotel, and one of the drivers there will take you there on the meter plus 50 baht surcharge. Khon Kaen city centre is really quite small, so your fare should be round about 150 baht.

I understand you do not want to name your hotel on a open forum, but you are welcome to PM me if you need any info.

Hi again,

Jamie - I just had another look at Khonkaen.com, I could not find any dates stated on any information there. When I clicked on the link to the forum (Khonkaenforum.net) a message appeared dated 18th Nov 2015 that it is not working. I now realise it was the first site I registered at about 1 week ago and I can remember comments that it had not been working and had just started again. I posted a message then and did not get one reply. Again I am pleased I have now found this site.

Duncan - Thank you so much, I did find the Pueai Noi that you are referring to about 2 weeks ago, I wrote to Ploy stating it's name as Du Pueai Noi and mentioned names of some nearby temples but she replied that she had not heard the names. It is too much like the original name she gave me of Plauynoi ........ so I think you are right. I will mention it again to her. She has a small farm and nearly finished harvesting the rice, she has 8 cows and some chickens.

Thank you also for the very good detailed information concerning taking a taxi to my hotel ....... it is just what I needed .... I now feel more confident. I will also by then have a Thai SIM card with internet connection and so hopefully Google Maps will be working.

I am looking at the help section to make sure I do things right and so a bit later I would love to PM you. Thanks.

Hi again,

Jamie - I just had another look at Khonkaen.com, I could not find any dates stated on any information there. When I clicked on the link to the forum (Khonkaenforum.net) a message appeared dated 18th Nov 2015 that it is not working. I now realise it was the first site I registered at about 1 week ago and I can remember comments that it had not been working and had just started again. I posted a message then and did not get one reply. Again I am pleased I have now found this site.

Duncan - Thank you so much, I did find the Pueai Noi that you are referring to about 2 weeks ago, I wrote to Ploy stating it's name as Du Pueai Noi and mentioned names of some nearby temples but she replied that she had not heard the names. It is too much like the original name she gave me of Plauynoi ........ so I think you are right. I will mention it again to her. She has a small farm and nearly finished harvesting the rice, she has 8 cows and some chickens.

Thank you also for the very good detailed information concerning taking a taxi to my hotel ....... it is just what I needed .... I now feel more confident. I will also by then have a Thai SIM card with internet connection and so hopefully Google Maps will be working.

I am looking at the help section to make sure I do things right and so a bit later I would love to PM you. Thanks.

No problem.

Keith, first a lot of villages do not show up on Google Maps, for instance the only way I find my village is the local school It's named after it. Ask your friend to go to her local post office and write her address in English. It will give a house # and then a Moo (village) # and then the name of the Tambon, and then the district town, and province. You should be able to find her Tambon on Google Maps. The fact that she has an old phone is to me a plus sign. Most village ladies who farm and stay in the village would not have a smart phone or need of one. That will probably be one of the first things you may want to get her. Maybe be proactive and take her one. There are decent ones for under ฿5,000 and acceptable ones for under ฿3,000.

Edited by Issangeorge

Thanks Jerome, what I read must have been wrong. It didn't make sense and thank you for confirming it.

I lot is new to me including using forum's like this. I am tempted to write more here but it would not have anything to do with the 50 B limo.

Later today I will have another look and see if I can use and send you a PM if it is OK with you, it will help me get used to this site which so far seems to be very good.

Cheers

Keith

You're welcome to PM me. I can reply to PMs but I don't seem to be able to start a PM conversation.

Siam2007 - That she cannot use Line Messenger but can access the internet I do not understand. Also she has not been able to tell me the name of her village where she lives. She said it was called Plauynoi but when I could not find it she thinks she wrote it down wrong in English. She wrote it is 70 km from Khon Kaen, 30 km from Ban Phai and it is in Khon Kaen province.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. So far I can't use Line Messenger but can access the internet. Well it's more true to say that I haven't been bothered to find out how to get it working. I certainly can't use Line on my phone.

As to internet access there's probably an Internet access shop in the village that she uses. Also you will find that there is no standard transliteration of Thai to English so her spelling is probably as correct as the one that Google uses it's just different so you can't find it.

Thanks again for your replies,

George - A great idea for her to ask at her local post office, plus I now know what a Tambon is.

Rocketboy - I think you and George are both right concerning a mobile phone, if I do get along well with Ploy then it would be a first item to buy, something to consider near the end of my 2 month stay.

George - Ploy has just replied to me that Pueai Noi (as I found and Duncan mentioned) is her village. I mentioned this to her weeks ago but also included a few other names of temples etc., and she wrote that she had not heard of the names. Anyway another little problem solved ...... I am sure there will be many more :-)

Sometimewoodworker - I am so glad you have mentioned about the phone, Ploy originally said she is not good with technical items and it seems she has tried e.g. I sent photo's of myself to her friend who has a computer and email address, then her son sent photo's of Ploy to me using his phone. Although her son is not very technical either. I am now going to PM you.

Thanks

Keith

Okay, Pueai Noi, is the district, so now you know in the general area she lives. It is just a small district with 4 Tambons and 32 villages. However the villages are what they call moos, and quite often there is more than one moo in a village. My village has two moos.

Edited by Issangeorge

Thanks again George, I can remember last time I was in Thailand I was looking for a hotel, I had learnt that the name for a street is Soi and that was about my limit. The hotel was in Moo 12 I think ....... so I was confused. Never did find that hotel as I think it had closed, Agoda found us an alternative.

It's very handy to understand an address.

Cheers

Keith