Free public transport to be restricted to needy people, govt says

rooster59

Mercedes-AMG S65 same as the usual basic military supplies and if they are a bit shy of being in the public eye with their military vehicle they can always ask for a bullet proof version all in stock now at your nearest military base so now thats the free public transport for the needy sorted out next problem requiring out attention.

And while we're having a moan, let's mention the BTS's discriminatory policy towards farang over 60s.

To their credit, the MRT by contrast does not discriminate.

Just why is it "discriminatory" for an enterprise providing a public service to decline to extend discounts to foreign expats who for the most part, enjoy an income level higher than a majority of the local citizenry.

I appreciate that I save a few Baht on the MRT but I do not consider "Senior Discounts" an entitlement I have earned by managing to grow old.

Most discounts I see aimed at seniors are more promotional than anything else. Restaurants often offer such discounts during normally dead hours between 4 to 6pm or early weekdays. It's a nice perk and I appreciate it when it is offered but to consider oneself discriminated against when such a discount is not extended seems to me rather absurd.

It is discriminatory because the fare is determined by race. Why is that so difficult to understand? While they're at it, why not have different prices marked up in the supermarket. Let's have a row for those earning 10,000 baht or less, another for those earning 10,000-20,000 and so on. Those who earn more pay more. And let's have a row for non-Thais who must pay more regardless of how much the Thai customers earn. You know, the same policy you support with the BTS.

Take that chip off your shoulder, it is not discriminatory at all

The reason is Thais, no matter how little they earn pay into the system in one way or the other, tourists do not

Do Tourists going to the UK get free bus travel? Of course not

Not everything is about race, unless you are part of the silly PC brigade of course

Why don't you address your complaints to the relevant Government department and post the reply here, I could do with a laugh

I was writing about how the BTS refuse the over-60s discount that the MRT gives. Please tell me how Thais pay into the BTS system, a private company, and foreigners do not. I'd be fascinated to hear. I'm always ready to learn something new.