Homicides of transgender women in US reach alarming high

rooster59

Homicides of transgender women in US reach alarming high

DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer

For a few transgender Americans, this has been a year of glamour and fame. For many others, 2015 has been fraught with danger and mourning.

While Caitlyn Jenner made the cover of Vanity Fair and Laverne Cox prospered as a popular actress, other transgender women have become homicide victims at an alarming rate. By the count of the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, there have been 22 killings so far this year of transgender or gender-nonconforming people — including 19 black or Latina transgender women.

The toll compares with 12 last year and 13 in 2013, and is the highest since advocacy groups began such tallies a decade ago.

"Most Americans think it's been an amazing year for transgender rights," said Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality. "But for the transgender community, it's been one of the most traumatic years on record."

Kiesha Jenkins was beaten and shot dead by a cluster of assailants in Philadelphia. Tamara Dominguez was run over multiple times and left to die on a Kansas City street. Police said the most recent victim, Zella Ziona, was shot dead in Maryland last month by a boyfriend embarrassed that Ziona showed up in the presence of some of his other friends.

There's no question that anti-transgender hatred fueled many of the killings, yet activists and social-service professionals say there are multiple factors that make transgender women of color vulnerable. They have documented that numerous victims were killed by intimate partners and many while engaging in prostitution.

"For many of these women, it's chronic unemployment or participation in survival sex work," said Louis Graham, a University of Massachusetts professor who has studied the experiences of black transgender women. Some ending up in coercive and violent relationships, Graham said.

Chase Strangio, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney, said that for many perpetrators of the violence, "there's a sense of transgender people being less than human."

The high death toll this year may stem in part from greater awareness of anti-transgender violence, and more vigorous efforts to identify homicide cases in which it was a factor.

"The violence has been going on for a long time," said Chai Jindasurat of the New York City Anti-Violence Project. "We're now able to identify and document and report on it better."

Examples of heightened attention to the issue:

—On Tuesday, amid a week of nationwide events remembering transgender victims, the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus held the first-ever hearing in Congress on anti-transgender violence.

—Two national advocacy groups — the Human Rights Campaign and the Trans People of Color Coalition — recently issued a report on "the epidemic of violence" against transgender people. It calls for passage of a federal nondiscrimination act that covers transgender people. According to the report, 15 percent of transgender homicide victims in the past three years were killed by intimate partners, and 34 percent may have been engaged in "survival sex work" at the time of their deaths.

Activists say there are no easy solutions to the violence.

Many Americans are uncomfortable with transgender people, Jindasurat said.

In Detroit, Yvonne Siferd has worked with many transgender women as director of victim services for Equality Michigan, an LGBT-rights group. She's impressed by their resilience, yet dismayed by the challenges they face.

"We all grow up with this myth that you can be whatever you want when you grow up," Siferd said. "When you do grow up and become your authentic self, the fact that you could be targeted for just being you is terrifying."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-22

America should watch the movie, "Kinky Boots". A humerous movie that puts a nice perspective on some transgender issues, with a nice moral-of-the-story.

A few months ago, some trans issue came up, and I suggested my wife watch it. She did, and enjoyed it a lot, and came out of it with a changed attitude. Many attitudes are unthinking, and being open to another mind-set can often change an attitude that was formed without thought but came about through pervading culture.

Edited by Seastallion

I recall a story my brother told me years ago (many years). He was in Kings Cross, Sydney, and he and a mate picked up a lady of the night.

One of the two mates got in the back of the car and started getting amorous, when the guy in the back exclaimed, "She's got balls!". The two mates then beat her and kicked her out.

In my early twenties at the time, I had little idea about LBGT issues, but my brother's story disturbed me. It's as if they thought the prostitute had tricked them and so they used violence, but in reality they felt ashamed and thus resorted to unthinking violence. And it had everything to do with the pervading male culture of the time. Little has changed.

I recall a story my brother told me years ago (many years). He was in Kings Cross, Sydney, and he and a mate picked up a lady of the night.

One of the two mates got in the back of the car and started getting amorous, when the guy in the back exclaimed, "She's got balls!". The two mates then beat her and kicked her out.

In my early twenties at the time, I had little idea about LBGT issues, but my brother's story disturbed me. It's as if they thought the prostitute had tricked them and so they used violence, but in reality they felt ashamed and thus resorted to unthinking violence. And it had everything to do with the pervading male culture of the time. Little has changed.

And therein lie's the problem, your brother and his mate picked up what they thought was a female prostitute but was in fact a man dressed as a woman, maybe if the man had been honest with them to start with it would have saved a lot of trouble, but then again kicking the shit out of him was extreme.

And therein lie's the problem, your brother and his mate picked up what they thought was a female prostitute but was in fact a man dressed as a woman, maybe if the man had been honest with them to start with it would have saved a lot of trouble, but then again kicking the shit out of him was extreme.

Agree.

But, if you order chicken and get pork, you don't beat the chef, you send the dish back....(hehe, unless you're adventurous and say, "ok, I'll give it a try", lol).

My point is, that it's the culture that tells young men to react as if severely affronted. It's not an affront, it's just an unexpected serving.

In part because of the marginalization of this group, they are often forced to frequent the more dangerous areas.

Walk down Soi Bangla, Patong on any given night and you'll see quite a few of them trying to earn a living. Bangla is indeed a dangerous area.

Though there may be some truth to what you are saying, there is also a moral issue at stake here. It was the absolute obligation of the lady boy to state that this was what she is. Nothing wrong with it. But to pick up a straight trick, and not reveal that fact, is putting yourself on the firing line, for sure. I am not defending their actions. But the dishonestly and betrayal of their trust was real. They were customers, who thought they were purchasing a rental of a certain sort. They got something they did not bargain for. My guess is that a lot of men would react in that fashion. Frankly, I am surprised more lady boys who pull this stunt do not get hurt or worse.

Though there may be some truth to what you are saying, there is also a moral issue at stake here. It was the absolute obligation of the lady boy to state that this was what she is. Nothing wrong with it. But to pick up a straight trick, and not reveal that fact, is putting yourself on the firing line, for sure. I am not defending their actions. But the dishonestly and betrayal of their trust was real. They were customers, who thought they were purchasing a rental of a certain sort. They got something they did not bargain for. My guess is that a lot of men would react in that fashion. Frankly, I am surprised more lady boys who pull this stunt do not get hurt or worse.

I take your point completely.

However, someone pulling tricks who does not have the equipment to "do everything" will only offer a particular service, surely?

However, someone pulling tricks who does not have the equipment to "do everything" will only offer a particular service, surely?

I think I am referring specifically to pre op lady boys. A friend of mine ended up with one. It was quite a shock to him to find the full package. My guess is that some macho types might react violently to that surprise. They did not expect to find another member in the room. If that is what you are looking for, power to you. But if not, surprise, surprise.

I think I am referring specifically to pre op lady boys. A friend of mine ended up with one. It was quite a shock to him to find the full package. My guess is that some macho types might react violently to that surprise. They did not expect to find another member in the room. If that is what you are looking for, power to you. But if not, surprise, surprise.

I think you missed the point. A pre-op would not be offering "full service", and thus if "other members" are discovered in the room, the John is venturing where he has not paid to go..

I think you missed the point. A pre-op would not be offering "full service", and thus if "other members" are discovered in the room, the John is venturing where he has not paid to go..

I know little about the intricacies of services offered by lady boys. All I know, is that my friend picked up what he thought was a very fine woman, and expected full service, and it turned out that it was not a woman. I met his "gal" and I was fooled too. Very petite, nice features, not a hint of his persuasion. My friend is a kind and gentle sort, so he let it go by kicking him out of the room. Others might not be so forgiving. If one knows to begin with, it is an entirely different matter. Different strokes for different folks, is fine by me. Live and let live.

" My friend is a kind and gentle sort, so he let it go by kicking him out of the room. Others might not be so forgiving."

And there's the attitude. Not strong, but there nonetheless. This idea that there was an affront worthy of violence (to some).

"Your friend" did the right thing. I assume he had not paid, found the service was not of the quality he was expecting, and so declined the transaction, end of story.

Where's the affront, the offense? At worst the john has wasted a bit of time attempting to hire the wrong hooker.

You don't beat up the waiter if you ordered clams but got pork, you simply send the dish back and leave the restaurant, having not paid.