Need Water Tank After Drilling Well With Pump?

tartempion

We drilled a well and installed a deep well pump since there is no water supply on the road we are building a house. The well is used for water neded on the building site.

The builder asked us where we wanted to place the water tank and second pump. (which we would need to buy as an extra)

My question is: why would I need a water tank and second pump?

The well is 20m from the house and when the tap is opened the pump delivers water from the well.

Therefore I guess the same would happen in the house if that water supply get conncected to the house or do I miss something here? Why spend an other 20k on tank and pump?

Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom....

Edited by tartempion

We drilled a well and installed a deep well pump since there is no water supply on the road we are building a house. The well is used for water neded on the building site.

The builder asked us where we wanted to place the water tank and second pump. (which we would need to buy as an extra)

The well is 20m from the house and when the tap is opened the pump delivers water from the well.

Therefore I guess the same would happen in the house if that water supply get conncected to the house or do I miss something here? Why spend an other 20k on tank and pump?

I am by no means an expert, but I would imagine you need the tank for a back-up if you have problems with your well pump, for issues of filtration, and perhaps constant pressure. Back-up for the family fairly important, ask the poor sods in town who depend on water from the mains in Patters, what hel_l they go through with no regular supply !!

Edited by suiging

I am by no means an expert, but I would imagine you need the tank for a back-up if you have problems with your well pump, for issues of filtration, and perhaps constant pressure. Back-up for the family fairly important, ask the poor sods in town who depend on water from the mains in Patters, what hel_l they go through with no regular supply !!

Suiging is pretty much correct about the tank for filtering and a regular supply at a constant pressure.

Although the well is only 20m from the house will you have enough pressure to get water upstairs, again at constant pressure for showes and toilets etc.

You can buy a 2,000 litre concrete storage tank for about 750 baht and a very good Mitsubishi pump will set you back another 6,000 roughly.

I live right out in the country and I have 26 storage tanks and 1 pump ( another for a spare), It sounds a lot but in the dry season we may not get government water for 2 months and the ground up here is solid rock under 1 metre of soil. Sometime we have up to 12 people staying on site and they use a lot of water.

People have already mentioned the advantages of having a storage tank...which is of course a good idea...but....just to talk about the other side of it, you could probably get by without a storage tank (and risk having no water sometimes) but then your pump would cycle on and off alot and this would tend to wear the pump out faster. Since its a deep well pump it is probably a bit expensive and a bit difficult to replace so it is probably best to reduce cycling. I had a well with a deep well pump back in the US and we didn't have a storage tank but we did have a ten gallon pressure tank. This means that we could use about ten gallons of water (about 38 litres) before the pump would cycle on....this way the pump doesn't have to go on and off every time you flush a toilet or turn on a tap to wash the dishes etc.....you use about 10 gallons every time before it cycles again.

Chownah

The house I am building has mains water. However, I have sunk a deep well into a plentiful supply of water and have two large storage tanks and a powerful pump. Very necessary i'm afraid.

Hi Suiging,

What size are your tanks and are they made of Poly or concrete?

I have a well dug at the back of our home and when the builder set up the water he only installed a pressure pump on it . The water is about 4 metres down and the pump was constantly losing prime .

I tried to explain about a submergable pump and a tank , and a float switch . But no-one fully understood it or knew where to by the equipment . I came back to Bangkok went to an electrical shop , bought what I needed ( according to the shop owner ) and next trip out we installed it .

Only trouble is that nobody out there knows how it works or how to fix it ( Have problems with ants getting into the float switch and fouling it up )

At least it sounds like this guy knows what he is on about .

Your bore pump won't have a pressure tank , and this is needed for constant supply and reducing surging .

BTW , I use a small 1250 litre plastic tank . and other than the ant problem , it works fine .

"you could probably get by without a storage tank (and risk having no water sometimes) but then your pump would cycle on and off alot and this would tend to wear the pump out faster."

= CORRECT!

"Since its a deep well pump it is probably a bit expensive and a bit difficult to replace so it is probably best to reduce cycling. I had a well with a deep well pump back in the US and we didn't have a storage tank but we did have a ten gallon pressure tank. This means that we could use about ten gallons of water (about 38 litres) before the pump would cycle on"

= not quite correct.

the pump cycles on off according to the relay which is triggering the pump. this relay has two different settings (which can be adjusted). one setting is to switch on the pump at the set minimum pressure and the other one to switch it off at the set maximum pressure. the drawn volume of water from the tank is irrelevant.

using a deep well pump as a direct supply should be avoided in any case. as far as the storage is concerned (which is highly recommended!) it depends how many people are using water in a given time. PVC underground storage tanks are quite cheap and come in a dozen different sizes. forget about a concrete tank which sooner or later will be leaking, cannot be closed properly and will be the housing of mice, rats, cockroaches and lizards.

pressure systems (250watts) with integrated pressure tank and pressure switches to supply continuous pressure to the home are available in homemarkets for 3-3.500 baht. higher capacities 6-8.000 baht. installation is a breeze.

The house I am building has mains water. However, I have sunk a deep well into a plentiful supply of water and have two large storage tanks and a powerful pump. Very necessary i'm afraid.

Hi Suiging,

What size are your tanks and are they made of Poly or concrete?

Hi

Both poly and housed in sunken concrete pits for want of a better word. Back in town in two weeks, I'll let you know the exact size then. ( left my set of beeping plans with a pal ) :o

Edited by suiging

I will install a PVC underground tank, seems the water will be fresher than being heated up by the sun in an inox tank.

Interesting. In Japan and Thailand my apartments always had the tanks mounted above ground (usually the roof) and I always enjoyed taking warm showers in the afternoon after the sun warmed the tank. I never thought about that same solar heat being a negative: would it encourage/accelerate algae growth, etc?

I will install a PVC underground tank, seems the water will be fresher than being heated up by the sun in an inox tank.

Interesting. In Japan and Thailand my apartments always had the tanks mounted above ground (usually the roof) and I always enjoyed taking warm showers in the afternoon after the sun warmed the tank. I never thought about that same solar heat being a negative: would it encourage/accelerate algae growth, etc?

as long as the water is shielded from direct sunlight there shouldn't be any problems with algae growth. a roof tank has the advantage that no pressure system is required a the water flows by gravity.

disadvantage: the "pressure" of a roof tank installed only a few meters above a shower head makes you run in circles to gather a few drops :o

i have lived for quite some years in the Middle East where roof tanks (on flat roofs) were common but contained hot water due to sun and ambient temperature. that meant for a cold shower one turned on the hotwater tap to draw water from the (switched-off) boiler located in the airconditioned bathroom and for hot water one turned on the coldwater tap.