Kanchanaburi visit

grumpyoldman

Arid up there, very nice inexpensive houseboat rooms 10 minutes outside the bus station.

Erawan Falls, be the first ones on the trail 7:15AM, be to the top by 8:15 you have about 2.5 hours of tranquility before the hordes arrive. Nibbling fish create shrieking Europeans, tranquility gone off to other things at lunchtime.

post-92090-0-21221700-1448194503_thumb.j

post-92090-0-04742700-1448194591_thumb.j

Poor waterfall, wasted money of 200 Baht entrance fee. We have much bigger waterfalls in Switzerland, and no entrance charge.

Sure guy, much more impressive waterfalls all over the world Hawaii, South America, thank you for your input, stating the obvious must make you a fascinating individual.

For Bredburyblue:

post-92090-0-75725600-1448273986_thumb.j

post-92090-0-62828000-1448274052_thumb.j

post-92090-0-77414700-1448274101_thumb.j

Hi Swamp Thing,

Your first shot I believe is from the bridge on the way to the park, I'll attach one of those too. I notice it's really hazy, was that taken during the Indonesian fires that sent all the smoke into Thailand or what part of year is that? Attached for comparison. (P.S.. he's not the messiah he's just a very naughty boy !")

post-92090-0-49148300-1448334211_thumb.j

One of my favourite provinces and visited many times over the decades. I often offer advice on TripAdvisor forums for Thailand and always recommend people should visit. Easy to spend a week or more pottering around on holiday there.

And so easily and inexpensively accessed. 34thb I took the BTS to Victory Monument, 120thb aircon minivan 2.5 hours later was there. The key is travel light as the minivan is not good for a lot of luggage.

I wonder how old this tree is in Erawan National. Looks like a scene in The Hobbit.

post-92090-0-98816900-1448520215_thumb.j

Poor waterfall, wasted money of 200 Baht entrance fee. We have much bigger waterfalls in Switzerland, and no entrance charge.

It's November. Why don't you go jump into a Swiss waterfall and send us a post card.

Edit: Very nice photos Grumpy, et al, thanks.

Fascinating information.

But we are not in Switzerland and not likely to be. Stay there and be happy.

Victoria Falls is/was better, same for Niagara. So <deleted> what? You are either a troll or fortunate to be in a country that has excellent mental health care.

Great photos.

I want to go to Kanchanaburi this month, as I have some family coming over.

Unfortunately I can only go for 2 days. I am driving so can travel around quite easily.

Is there anything you would suggest which are must sees in that 2 days.

As you can see from the pics already posted on this thread, the Erawan National Park is well worth a visit. It's very scenic, has well maintained footpaths and features the Erawan falls, a seven-tiered waterfall. The road leading to it, the 3199, is very scenic too. All good.

I recently paid a visit to the Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum, which is dedicated to the Allied POWs and Asian labourers who died working on the construction of the Thai-Burmese railway during WWll. I found my visit quite an emotional experience, but I was glad I went. You can walk along the site of the railway as well as visiting the Museum. I recommend it to you. (If you wish to see some pics I took while at the site of the railway, check out my road trip report, 'Pattaya-Kanchanaburi-Hua-Hin-Pattaya', in the Motorcycles in Thailand section of this forum).

The road 323 which leads to the Museum is quite scenic and I think you will enjoy it.

There are several Caves to be found in the area which, from what I've read, sound very good. Maybe other forum members have visited and can give you advice on which are particularly good. My next trip to Kanchanburi will include a visit to the Lawa Cave.

Here's a pic taken from the viewing platform at the Memorial Museum.

post-205950-0-28270600-1449026306_thumb.

And another taken from the site of the Railway.

post-205950-0-88312900-1449026353_thumb.

Thanks kenk24 for the positive post. Here's another one, foreground are geese that ate the fish that happened up on their sandbar as well as grasses that are growing there under the water. Ripping on by, a speedboat, this is just off my houseboat room river Kwae. Really enjoyed it up there. Need to explore more of that part of the country.

post-92090-0-67928300-1449035607_thumb.j

Archived