International Terminal

ThaiPauly

Well it looks like the International Terminal at the airport is nearly finished, but just how "International" is it going to be?

I understand that they are lengthening the runway, does this mean that one will be able to fly directly to the UK for instance?

Or is that just a pipe dream :o

TP

Well it looks like the International Terminal at the airport is nearly finished, but just how "International" is it going to be?

I understand that they are lengthening the runway, does this mean that one will be able to fly directly to the UK for instance?

Or is that just a pipe dream :D

TP

"pipe dream" I would think. It would all come down to demand, and I don't think it would be viable. Charter flights maybe. :o

Edited by john b good

Most Nothern Europeans want to see turquoise water and palm trees as soon as they arrive...

Well they don't get that when they touch down in Bangkok do they?. :o

It would be extremly convienient for many of us living here that at present have to go to BK first

Even with the extension it will not be long enough for a fully loaded long haul plane to take off from so a non stop long haul flight from Chiang Mai will not be possible. However, a Jumbo could fly direct from Europe into Chiang Mai, land safely and still have enough fuel to fly on to Bangkok for refuelling prior to flying back to Europe.

New technologies and new planes could, of course, change all that.

If Udon,s International Airport is anything to go by T.P. it will be a long time coming before direct flights to major destinations are started from any of the provinces.

Wouldn,t it be brilliant to go direct to where ever your home country is without having to hop on and off at Bangkok.

The logistical needs will also need more than a little expanding locally to bring them up to the required standards that will be needed.

Like many including yourself i will continue to dream of these times in the future of a direct flight to the U.K. in my case, also.

Should we live long enough to see it happen that is, give or take a decade or three.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. The old military airport near Pattaya could easily be used by all airlines for the convenience of visitors and local residents but still isn,t for the majority.

Why ? Apart from the loss of financial benefits to the local airlines domestic and the int. and B.kok in particular.

Edited by marshbags

My own pipe-dream is, as Emirates & Etihad & the rest of the lower-cost airlines currently building hubs in the Gulf, renew their older smaller planes with 777s & A380s, they might search out lesser destinations such as Phuket & Changers for the smaller planes, a couple of times per week.

For certain, a lower-priced direct-to-Gulf link, with many onwards-to-Europe connections, would attract massive loyalty from us local expats, no ?

And after all - Emirates fly to 4 other regional-airports , in the UK, as well as the big-2 in London, from Dubai. So why only BKK in Thailand ?

I'd also love to see a small low-cost airline based in Chiang Mai, flying all those thinner routes with smaller jets or ATRs, that TG and the rest serve only via BKK. Why not - Air Lanna is born ! :o

Why doesn't CM have at least flights to Hong Kong. I would think that would pay for itself, especially with the new Disneyland there.\?? :D

I believe Hong Kong Express started twice-weekly flights recently - with a 70-seater jet - can anyone confirm this ?

And this is typical of the routes, I was referring to, in my previous post. I'd also add Penang, Phuket (only served 1-way by TG) , K.L. (only Air Asia) , Surat Thani (for Samui & Koh Pang Nan), Tokyo, TaiPei, Korea, and research demand from Vietnam or Cambodia or Bangladesh & India. Let alone China - the BIG one. After all - this is supposed to be a regional hub ! :o

Why doesn't CM have at least flights to Hong Kong. I would think that would pay for itself, especially with the new Disneyland there.\?? :o

I believe Hong Kong Express started twice-weekly flights recently - with a 70-seater jet - can anyone confirm this ?

Correct. It's an Embraer (Brazilian built) jet that services this route.

Why doesn't CM have at least flights to Hong Kong. I would think that would pay for itself, especially with the new Disneyland there.\?? :D

And this is typical of the routes, I was referring to, in my previous post. I'd also add Penang, Phuket (only served 1-way by TG) , K.L. (only Air Asia) , Surat Thani (for Samui & Koh Pang Nan), Tokyo, TaiPei, Korea, and research demand from Vietnam or Cambodia or Bangladesh & India. Let alone China - the BIG one. After all - this is supposed to be a regional hub ! :o

Unless things have changed you can fly to China (Kunming) on TG, Singapore on Silk, Rangoon on Air Mandalay and there are others.

Flying the smaller jets (and the ATRs) to anywhere close to Europe/UK would be the same as Jean Batten flying the route. (you would get to see a few airports though)

You can only have a full bottle internation service if there is the demand.

AND there is nothing like the demand to warrant direct flights to London from CNX.

Edited by john b good