Extension of Retirement Visa @ Udon Immigration

Today I went to renew for another year my retirement visa. This was my third extension, but never before in Udon (previously in Phuket and in Chiang Mai). The result surprised me. I don't know whether to be concerned or not. Here are the details:

In my passport my visa is good until 23 Dec 2015. I have travel plans for Dec, so wanted to renew in Nov. My understanding is that one can renew up to a month before the visa expiration.

I handed over my passport, TM7, copies of passport, bank letter, bank books and copies of them, and rent receipts. The officer also wanted a copy of the tabiian baan and ID card of my landlord. So I went to fetch those and came back.

All went smoothly. I paid my 1.9k baht and was handed my passport. There was no extension until Dec 2016. Instead, stamped into my passport was this: "UDON THANI IMMIGRATION IMMIGRATION APPLICATION OF STAY IS UNDER CONSIDERATION OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU APPLICANT MUST CONTACT THIS OFFICE AGAIN ON 23 DEC 2015 [sic]"

I don't quite know what to make of this. Should I be concerned?

Nothing to worry about.

You can buy a re-entry permit if you want to leave during the under consideration period. It's best to buy it from the office you applied for the extension at and let them know the dates you'll be out of the country incase they want to do a home visit.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right. That's why the title of the post is "Extension of Retirement Visa..."

What I do not understand is why I must go there two times to get the extension. Prior extensions were granted on the spot. And are they serious about showing up on one specific day? My Thai was not quite good enough to get to the bottom of this.

They have been doing that for some time now at Udon. It may be because the extension has to be approved by a higher ranking officer than one that is normally in the office.

You should check back in couple of weeks to see if it is done yet.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right. That's why the title of the post is "Extension of Retirement Visa..."

What I do not understand is why I must go there two times to get the extension. Prior extensions were granted on the spot. And are they serious about showing up on one specific day? My Thai was not quite good enough to get to the bottom of this.

It is an extension of your temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom.

Your Visa died long ago.

• Like 1

"Yes, you're right. That's why the title of the post is "Extension of Retirement Visa..."

You're not extending a visa of any sort. You're extending your permission to stay in Thailand. If you want to cross borders without losing that permission, you need a re-entry permit because you no longer have a visa and the extension only allows you to remain in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69

OK, useful info:

If I have a visa I can travel elsewhere unimpeded.

If I have an extension to a visa I need a re-entry permit.

Possibly, depending on the type of visa and assuming it is a multi entry visa. You can also purchase a multi entry with your extension of stay.