Finding a place to call 'Home'

B0nkers

Really don't know which forum to put this under as it covers at least 3 points of which has it's own forum.

1. It seems things have changed with the multi-entry Visa on Nov 13th. I just saw this today & found out about the 5 year Elite Visa.

- So, what this change mean for perpetual tourism? As I understood it, prior to Nov 13th, one could simply get a new multi-entry Visa or even cross the border every 30 days - back to back - until they had enough and moved on. Is / was that true? How do the new rules affect this, could I potentially (and legally) become a perpetual tourist in Thailand? If not, I may consider the 5 year option. I still need some time to commit to such a long period thought so the idea of losing the multi-entry really adds pressure to the 'deciding' part .

- 2nd to this point, I have also been looking in Costa RIca. It used to be you did a border run every 90 days and you were welcome back perpetually. I read a few weeks ago on a random forum that they are changing (if not already) this rule. Does anyone know the rules for Costa Rica? Perhaps know of other countries where long term stay is easy without making a major financial commitment such as investing $200k into a business?

2. Taxes. I'm a Canadian working as a freelancer online and will soon drop that to start my own online businesses.

- For the freelance income, I have clients from around the world. They pay me through a freelancer website based in the US, so I earn USD regardless of my or the client location. I then transfer that money to my Canadian bank and withdraw in Thailand using an ATM.

Anyone know the tax rules in this scenario? Am I liable to pay any taxes in the US (if so, there are literally millions of freelancers who are in deep poop)? Any thoughts on paying taxes in any countries recommended for settlement? ie: If you happen to have personal tax experience in your travels, I'd love to hear about them.

-2nd to this point, do any Canadians know how Canadian tax laws work if you register a company in another country? Do you continue to pay taxes on that income even though you aren't living in Canada - is there a point where you no longer need to pay? I wonder because I believe we lose health benefits if gone for more than 180 days and residency if gone for ____?_____ days.

-----

So at the moment, I'm looking for a place to settle down for several years. A place in paradise to call home base and continue travel form there. Canada is perfect aside from the weather. I need clear warm water to snorkel in and white sand between my toes. If we even want to take it a step further, a newer western style house rental on a golf course would be icing on the cake.

If I can get this in Thailand. Great. Would like to learn about all options.

Thanks in advance

Given the length of the post, I would advise you split out into the three sections to get the best response on each aspect.

1: The visa question (Visa Forum)

2 Tax question (Home Country forum)

3. Property , as in where? (Real Estate forum)

I thought about splitting it up, but then thought with the 'big picture' under one umbrella someone may be able to add helpful input with an understand or perspective I hadn't considered due to lack of experience. To get more specific, I will refer to the authorities or perhaps later a lawyer or two. Was hoping to get some general advise on the big picture here first from those who've done what I would like to do (soon).

I would hope that someone in a similar situation as me would stumble across this and be able to lend their experience across all points. Really this is a common situation now for the digital nomad types. Pretty much all I have run across in my travels have the same set of questions.

Unless you are gearing up to lock the topic on account I split it up, I'd like to leave it open a couple days to see if any other freelancers bite.

Not even sure if TV is a good place for this, but is the most active forum I know of for expats and I happen to be living here for the time being anyways

There don't seem to be any firm limits on back to back to back to back Tourist Visas. The Single entry tourist visa is still available. Some knowledgeable people have posted that a good guess is 2 or 3 back to back single entry tourist visas might become the limit. METV doesn't seem to have any back to back limits posted.

If you are looking to move to the USA and get a green card, form a US corporation, perhaps become a US citizen, etc. the USA has some great beaches and some states have no state income tax, but you will still pay USA Federal tax. Florida for example has warm weather, beaches and no state income. tax.

Now as for tax wise across countries and transferring money. You say you get paid in the USA then transfer money to Canada. I don't know how much you get paid, but I suspect you might be at or near the thresholds where USA financial institutions report fund transfers, whether you know it or not. So something may pop up on somebody's radar soon that you will have to address. I have USA citizen friends that have moved to Canada but I really can't speak to how you may or may not be liable for USA taxes on your pay or corporate income, or how Canada taxation will work for you.

Visa-wise, I think the Elite visa could be your best and certainly easiest option. If you have a business, I would think you would be able to deduct the cost of that Visa. I defer that to your accountant. I suspect that if audited the Canada tax folks would reject that deduction because while it is a valid expense for what you want to do and live in Thailand, it is not necessary for your business. Just because you choose to stay in Thailand, doesn't mean you get to deduct your business expenses there. Just my two cents as they say.

The days of the Wild West finished a few years ago. You've needed tourist visas for years, but if you're still in CA you'll be able to get a visa good for 9 months to try Thailand out. Then I suppose jumping to Malaysia if you're on the islands, and perhaps Laos after a couple of 3 month visas if you don't have the elite card.

Cambodia is $285 for 1 year business visa, just walk into travel agent and pay annually, pick passport up week later.

I've been freelancing for years and don't pay tax. I even have an EIN number so I don't need to pay tax on Kindle earnings, Canada must have something like that with the US if UK does.

Don't register an online company until you're making decent money.

Only US and a tiny African country require you to pay tax if you're outside country, but you can still pay national insurance contributions in UK to stay in system. Don't know if Canada has similar.

Edited by finy

The days of the Wild West finished a few years ago. You've needed tourist visas for years, but if you're still in CA you'll be able to get a visa good for 9 months to try Thailand out. Then I suppose jumping to Malaysia if you're on the islands, and perhaps Laos after a couple of 3 month visas if you don't have the elite card.

Cambodia is $285 for 1 year business visa, just walk into travel agent and pay annually, pick passport up week later.

I've been freelancing for years and don't pay tax. I even have an EIN number so I don't need to pay tax on Kindle earnings, Canada must have something like that with the US if UK does.

Don't register an online company until you're making decent money.

Only US and a tiny African country require you to pay tax if you're outside country, but you can still pay national insurance contributions in UK to stay in system. Don't know if Canada has similar.

The U.K. Wants everyone to pay tax on their gross world income.

Perhaps you are off grid and the taxman doesn't know about you - lucky you but if you were employed and earned enough to have to make an annual tax return, the taxman would be after you for sure - wherever you were living.

To pay no UK tax, I think you would have to show that you paid taxes elsewhere and there was a double tax agreement that allows you not to also pay UK taxes.

Keep your head down he he. And good luck.

When you leave the UK you sign a form to say you're tax exempt.

The US and ?North Eithreu? are the only 2 countries in the world who tax their citizens for income earned abroad.

That changes if you stay in UK for more than 2 months per year.

"The US is one of two countries in the world that taxes its citizens on the income they earn while living abroad. The other is Eritrea. Every single other country bases its taxation on residency, i.e., you only pay taxes where you live and work."

Edited by finy

i now view a regular 1-entry visa as in fact a 5 month stay.

if you fly in from say cambodia, nam or any other country i believe you can request the 30 day entry which can be extended another 30 days. a border hop can then be done st a land border activating the visa for another 60 days which can be extended 30 days more.

single entry visas are still pretty easy to get from what i understand. this makes the visa issue a non-issue for me, but i have not yet tried asking for the 30 days only with a visa is passport yet. not sure if there will be problems there.

correct me if im wrong.

* not sure about the tax stuff. why dont you get a tax person to do this. can you do simple addition and subtraction? if not, may want to take some high school refresher courses. let me know if you need a ride to school or help with your homework. i also pack lunches.

Edited by fey

When you leave the UK you sign a form to say you're tax exempt.

The US and ?North Eithreu? are the only 2 countries in the world who tax their citizens for income earned abroad.

That changes if you stay in UK for more than 2 months per year.

"The US is one of two countries in the world that taxes its citizens on the income they earn while living abroad. The other is Eritrea. Every single other country bases its taxation on residency, i.e., you only pay taxes where you live and work."

So me being resident in Spain would mean that the uk would not tax me?

Wrong, I pay taxes and even had to do an annual tax return up to last year.

I asked if I could stop paying uk tax and they said that if I go to the Spanish tax man, register and send that doc to the uk, they will allow the Spanish to take the tax instead of them.