PM Prayut blames previous governments for THAI's financial woes

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's a very old problem but what is being done now ?

For example has the PM stopped those and such as those benefiting from all the freebies or is that another issue that's off limits because of who's involved ?

Yep - like the military families who are taking the business class seats now - gratis.

No-one is saying it was mishandled in the past but you'd be brave person to argue that it's benefited from the fiscal incompetence of the junta.

Are Military Families taking business class seats ?

Anyway, what 'financial incompetence' did the government show regarding THAI ?

As to the first part - yes they are. I travel internationally every two weeks, about 50 % of the time on Thai and business is regularly filled with happy military families. It's far worse than it was two years back. I used to use TG all the time but they've both priced themselves out of the market and are providing a high end shuttle service for vacationing officers etc.

As to the second - I'm guessing from your posts on this forum that you comfortably fit into my description of a brave and lonely soul who defends the current mismash of fiscal hamfistedness that defines this junta. More precisely nothing has been done to address gross top end expenditure, boundless freebies (which seem worse now) or anything else.

Indeed the one wise move made - to bring in external advice - is being blamed for part of the woes. Perhaps a call to any of the other thriving Asian airlines - Garuda or SQ maybe - could be in order, asking for help.

For example has the PM stopped those and such as those benefiting from all the freebies or is that another issue that's off limits because of who's involved ?

Yep - like the military families who are taking the business class seats now - gratis.

No-one is saying it was mishandled in the past but you'd be brave person to argue that it's benefited from the fiscal incompetence of the junta.

It WAS mishandled in the past by previous governments unless you believe , as you seem to, that all the losses over the previous years and all the perks were down to this government who have been in power for about 18 months.

Too many governments kept sticking their noses in and changing the top management to suit themselves and ignoring the practicalities of making a profit, customer satisfaction etc which is why it is in need of a drastic overhaul now.

Why wasn't it done before? For that answer you would have to ask the previous governments and you probably wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.

Why is this government doing it now? Because somebody has to do it or Thai Airways will quietly fade into an expensive oblivion.

Before I retired 6 years ago I used to fly long distance, UK to Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia in both business and cattle class, and I used Thai, Singapore, BA and EVA. Singapore was always #1, EVA #2, Thai #3, BA #4. I also tried Cathay Pacific once and China Eastern but wasn't impressed with either.

Thai was always over manned and the service was not so good, nor was the food.

Back in the mid 1990s it used to be very good but it dropped off over the years.

IMHO it will never be as good as Singapore but there is a lot of room for improvement, especially in the middle and upper management as well as the cabin crews. I don't know that much about the ground staff but the aircraft have always seemed to be well looked after with only the odd light bulb. etc not working

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Thai-Airways-International

Their fleet of Boeing 747s are from 12 to 22 years old, they have 6 Airbus 340 that are uneconomical that they are trying to sell but won't drop the price,

http://www.thaiaircrafttrading.com/aircraft.htm

Meanwhile every day they are idle and not earning revenue is more losses to the company.

That is my explanation and my defence.

What was yours again?

"Yep - like the military families who are taking the business class seats now - gratis.

No-one is saying it was mishandled in the past but you'd be brave person to argue that it's benefited from the fiscal incompetence of the junta."

No facts, no details, no explanations, just blame the government as usual with nothing to back it up.

Thanks for the rant - I actually agree with you. It was mishandled in the past. it was a typo on my part which was rather obvious from my sentence structure surely.

Now that we've moved beyond your needless rant, can you please address the fact that the freebies have ballooned under this government (based on personal observation, very frequent flights and a fairly reliable source in an offshore Thai office). And yes, you can blame the current governments snouts in the trough for that.

It WAS mishandled in the past by previous governments unless you believe , as you seem to, that all the losses over the previous years and all the perks were down to this government who have been in power for about 18 months.

Too many governments kept sticking their noses in and changing the top management to suit themselves and ignoring the practicalities of making a profit, customer satisfaction etc which is why it is in need of a drastic overhaul now.

Why wasn't it done before? For that answer you would have to ask the previous governments and you probably wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.

Why is this government doing it now? Because somebody has to do it or Thai Airways will quietly fade into an expensive oblivion.

Before I retired 6 years ago I used to fly long distance, UK to Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia in both business and cattle class, and I used Thai, Singapore, BA and EVA. Singapore was always #1, EVA #2, Thai #3, BA #4. I also tried Cathay Pacific once and China Eastern but wasn't impressed with either.

Thai was always over manned and the service was not so good, nor was the food.

Back in the mid 1990s it used to be very good but it dropped off over the years.

IMHO it will never be as good as Singapore but there is a lot of room for improvement, especially in the middle and upper management as well as the cabin crews. I don't know that much about the ground staff but the aircraft have always seemed to be well looked after with only the odd light bulb. etc not working

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Thai-Airways-International

Their fleet of Boeing 747s are from 12 to 22 years old, they have 6 Airbus 340 that are uneconomical that they are trying to sell but won't drop the price,

http://www.thaiaircrafttrading.com/aircraft.htm

Meanwhile every day they are idle and not earning revenue is more losses to the company.

That is my explanation and my defence.

What was yours again?

"Yep - like the military families who are taking the business class seats now - gratis.

No-one is saying it was mishandled in the past but you'd be brave person to argue that it's benefited from the fiscal incompetence of the junta."

No facts, no details, no explanations, just blame the government as usual with nothing to back it up.

Thanks for the rant - I actually agree with you. It was mishandled in the past. it was a typo on my part which was rather obvious from my sentence structure surely.

Now that we've moved beyond your needless rant, can you please address the fact that the freebies have ballooned under this government (based on personal observation, very frequent flights and a fairly reliable source in an offshore Thai office). And yes, you can blame the current governments snouts in the trough for that.

That is something I cannot comment on as I retired 6 years ago to the relative obscurity of rural Thailand and I have not left Thailand since.

People with no degree and minimal education, have been asking them for years.

Why would anyone buy a ticket for 53000 baht, when they can buy the same destination for 25,000 baht on a different airline. Look on every website for cheapest airlines, thai air doesn't even make the grade. They should knock prices right down and rebuild them after they get their customers back.