Got my Thai drivers license today!

Kunjay

After reading a recent post about the rules changing next year I woke up and decided to get my thai drivers license to avoid hassles next year once implimented.

Honestly couldnt beleive how easy it was, took no time at all.

1) Obtained my certificate of residency free of charge at the Khon Kaen Immigration.

2) paid 60baht at a local clinic for a doctors certificate which involved identifying the colours of medication boxes beside the doctor lol.

3) After a few photo copies of documents at the license centre 340baht was paid, photo taken and recieved both vehicle and motorcycle licenses, in all about 30-45 min.

Only downside is having 2 seperate license, one for vehicle and one for motorcycle.

Happy driving!

Thanks for the report!

So nothing has changed since 2011 when I was in KK to get a temp DL from my international DP.

Reports from other sites often sound much more difficult.

You didn't specify: was it extension of existing Thai DLs (5 y) or was it newly issued based on international DP or your national licenses?

Latter one resulting in temporary licenses for two years.

Thanks for the report!

So nothing has changed since 2011 when I was in KK to get a temp DL from my international DP.

Reports from other sites often sound much more difficult.

You didn't specify: was it extension of existing Thai DLs (5 y) or was it newly issued based on international DP or your national licenses?

Latter one resulting in temporary licenses for two years.

The latter BenQ.

A holder of a foreign driver license, like from Europe, can get a Thai drivers license without doing a driving test? And you even get an extra motor driver license?

Not strictly true. It will all depend on what office you go to. Some like the OP got lucky , others like myself got the car licence no problem but had to take the bike test.

A holder of a foreign driver license, like from Europe, can get a Thai drivers license without doing a driving test? And you even get an extra motor driver license?

Not strictly true. It will all depend on what office you go to. Some like the OP got lucky , others like myself got the car licence no problem but had to take the bike test.

Yes, if you don't have a home bike license that is officially the rule. But quite often there is a small bike allowance on western car licenses, hence sometimes also a bike license is issued without additional testing.

I have a 5 year Thai car licence. My UK car licence allows me to drive a motor bike. If I presented it at Pattaya licencing centre would I still have to take a bike test?

By the rules you don't have to do a theory test nor a practical/driving test.

What is always requested is the physical (eye sight/color blindness and reaction) test.

And mostly also viewing some video (lesson) in Thai language wink.png

Whether you will need an official translation of the UK license: I am not sure about this.

Some wrote that DLs in English (or from certain countries) are accepted without translation?

I have a 5 year Thai car licence. My UK car licence allows me to drive a motor bike. If I presented it at Pattaya licencing centre would I still have to take a bike test?

Is it a full motorbike license or with limitations?

StephenT

tried to paste scan of my UK car licence in vain. On the back is a tiny picture of a motor bike & next to it 2018 expiry date. Could I present this at Pattaya centre?

So is it a full motorbike license or one with limitations?

Officially you only get a Thai motorbike license for a full foreign license, but quite often even for one with limitation you'll get a Thai motorbike license.

What is always requested is the physical (eye sight/color blindness and reaction) test.

Whether you will need an official translation of the UK license: I am not sure about this.

Some wrote that DLs in English (or from certain countries) are accepted without translation?

When I renewed mine in Chiang Mai last year, the reaction machine was broken.

There were quite a few people who got licences without knowing if they could react or not?

TIT biggrin.png

What if you dont have a foreign license? I lost mine a while back

You'll have to do the full test, written and practical.

While the auto license was easy, simple and quick, I had to to the full test for my motorcycle license since I had never had one before. I failed the driving part the first day involving cruising down a straight and narrow concrete beam, went home for two days and practiced like crazy and came back and passed on the second try. The crowd cheered me.

In Chiang Mai and Hua Hin as long as your foreign licence shows what you can drive it is accepted, eg UK issued. Edited by roo860