60 Day Tourist Visa Phuket to Penang

Are they asking for everything (airline ticket, 20.000 B, hotel booking)? If I don't have something on border is it ofter they return people to Malaysia?

I don't want to buy ticket now to Europe and don't want to bring so much money with me. If I take agent they would need everything?

It'll be my first visa after arrival.

Are they asking for everything (airline ticket, 20.000 B, hotel booking)? If I don't have something on border is it ofter they return people to Malaysia?

I don't want to buy ticket now to Europe and don't want to bring so much money with me. If I take agent they would need everything?

I would suggest travelers checks for "proof of cash" - either at the border or at a consulate. I don't like walking around with that much cash either. Bangkok Bank sells them.

The ticket out of Thailand would not need to be for Europe. One going back to Malaysia would be the cheapest option. I would only purchase it if the consulate requested it when I applied. It could be a refundable or flex-date ticket.

I would suggest travelers checks for "proof of cash" - either at the border or at a consulate. I don't like walking around with that much cash either. Bangkok Bank sells them.

The ticket out of Thailand would not need to be for Europe. One going back to Malaysia would be the cheapest option. I would only purchase it if the consulate requested it when I applied. It could be a refundable or flex-date ticket.

1) penang does not need hotel booking or onward travel ticket. Completed thai visa application, 2 passport photos, and 150 RM should be all that is needed. You can bring a copy of bank statement (any bank) showing 20k baht or equivalent. Do not show it to consular unless asked.

2) passport photos can be gotten @ van outside thai consulate. 8 pics for 20 RM which isnt too bad. I recommend having them BEFORE going so it is less scrambling. I got 12 - 2" x 2" passport photos for 120 baht at fujifilm in thailand...

you can also buy a minivan ticket back to hat yai (via Sadao border) 40 RM, that leaves @ 14:30. So you pick up your passport and go right from consulate back to thailand. Not sure about phuket (~80RM), you might have to go back to Komtar or Chulia St.

3) at thai border, any proof of funds needs to be in cash. But with a valid tourist visa, you shouldnt need it at most borders, includind Sadao.

Visa Exempt entry or too many back-to-back TVs might be a different story (for Sadao anyways).

In case you are wondering, you can exchange THB or EUR to MYR (RM), at any Malay bank, Malay ATM. Also private money exchangers are all over Chulia St. The consulate only accepts RM. Use this site to check Notes rates: http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net. i hear the rates on some private exchangers are not so good lately 10.5 - 11 THB to 1 RM; ouch. The guy on the butterworth train exchanged at good rate (appx 8.5 to 1).

If you dont want to run to consulate yourself. You can use agent @ chulia st (banana guesthouse is popular). 50RM extra and they will ensure you have everything together.

Dont eat too much in Penang.

Edited by 4evermaat

... 3) at thai border, any proof of funds needs to be in cash. But with a valid tourist visa, you shouldnt need it at most borders, includind Sadao.

Visa Exempt entry or too many back-to-back TVs might be a different story (for Sadao anyways).

This is what I keep travelers checks for (vs a bank-book) specifically - at the border. I've never needed to show proof of $$ at a border, or at Penang or Laos Consulates, but I like to always be prepared, given other's reports.

There is a fee for purchasing travelers checks. If like the AmericanExpress ones I have from the USA, they never expire, and if lost, you call in with the numbers on them and get a full refund. Make copies of them and stash everywhere for this purpose - iCloud / Dropbox, every piece of luggage, etc.