My 4 year old Samsung TV for some reason has quit reading my USB sticks with movies

elgordo38

My 4 year old Samsung TV for some reason has quit reading my USB sticks with movies. It has been sporadic in the past in reading sticks now it is getting downright cantankerous. It will now read my WD 1TB external which about some 6 months ago it quit reading and after sleeping for some months in my desk drawer decided to awaken and work again. Any answers. Can the TV be reformatted or reset or something. Would it be a driver problem in my computer when I load the movies do TV's have drivers? What is my feeble mind overlooking.

Not sure but TV may require FAT32 format on the USB stick - but that will not allow more than 4GB size files so we often format our USB sticks NTFS these days.

Yes there is a method to download and install updated software - never had much luck with the Samsung TV I had however so would not recommend. Sounds as if you have a hard drive so USB would not be that important.

Actually there are probably two USB ports so a better choice would be to try the one on back (if normally use side port) and see if that works - if it does just buy a short USB extension cable that you leave plugged into that port and attach your USB to it as needed.

AA-UF-05B.jpg

Contact cleaner sprayed into the USB port may help. Not just any old spray nor WD-40 but specific "contact cleaner" named on the spray can. Note that this is quite flammable so best not have TV on. It dries very rapidly.

Best not to have the TV connected to high voltage as well. But did the OP yet try another USB drive????

Quite easy to fix by yourself. Inside the TV are replaceable modules. Remove the USB unit and take and order a replacement at Samsung service centre.

Get a competent friend to help you.

Don't forget to unplug the TV before you take the back off.

No it is not a smart TV. Thanks for the many suggestions. I am now using a 4 plug pig tail and insert the sticks. The TV reads them all for some strange reason. Instead of letting the pigtail stick sit flat on the top of the console I let it hang/dangle and it seems to make a connection. I think it must a TV connection issue. I do have 2 ports but both give me the same problem. One guy suggested pulling off the back and snapping in a new USB port module. Sounded good/easy so off I went to the Samsung customer service here in Chiang Mai. Walked in took a queue number and waited. There were 9 stations but only 3 were manned. Off to lunch I guess. Finally my queue number was called and we me and my g/f sat down in front of a young woman. My g/f explained the problem and I was just an observer. I knew we were in trouble when her eyes got that quizzical look and she cocked her head a bit. I was waiting for the smoke to start coming out of her ears. She then spoke to another clerk and then told me the good well no bad news. 3,000 bahts for the port 745 labor and I had to bring the TV in to them. They would not sell me the part. Well I needed a laugh for the day anyway so the trip was not entirely wasted. She had a 4 button customer response module sitting there so I pushed the "very dissatisfied button and walked out the door. TIT

Follow up

No it is not a smart TV. Thanks for the many suggestions. I am now using a 4 plug pig tail and insert the sticks. Instead of letting the pigtail stick sit flat on the top of the console I let it hang/dangle and it seems to make a connection. I think it must a TV connection issue. I do have 2 ports but both give me the same problem. One guy suggested pulling off the back and snapping in a new USB port module. Sounded good/easy so off I went to the Samsung customer service here in Chiang Mai. Walked in took a queue number and waited. There were 9 stations but only 3 were manned. Off to lunch I guess. Finally my queue number was called and we me and my g/f sat down in front of a young woman. My g/f explained the problem and I was just an observer. I knew we were in trouble when her eyes got that quizzical look and she cocked her head a bit. I was waiting for the smoke to start coming out of her ears. She then spoke to another clerk and then told me the good well no bad news. 3,000 bahts for the port 745 labor and I had to bring the TV in to them. They would not sell me the part. Well I needed a laugh for the day anyway so the trip was not entirely wasted. She had a 4 button customer response module sitting there so I pushed the "very dissatisfied button and walked out the door. TIT