OSH, good British pubs and cigars.

NanLaew

My CEO is coming in from KL next week where he laments a dearth of anything half decent on draft. As VP of Entertainment, I know all 6 places that sell his favourite Old Speckled Hen down in Pattaya but I need the Bangkok piss artisans guide to where to find OSH in the big mango. He will be stopping on Ploenchit so anywhere near there? How about bottom-end of Sukhumvit, Cowboy, Surawong-Silom or Thonglor at a push?

Also recommendations for the friendliest British pub with decent pub grub in any these areas? The Black Swan was a favorite of mine but I haven't checked it out since they relocated to Soi 19.

I read that Whisgars and the Humidor at the Intercontinental are decent places for a stogie. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

NL

Try calling Bully's Pub on Sukhumvit and ask if they have OSH....they've got a lot of different beer stocked (well, they did last time I was there.) Might just be in the cans, though, not on tap.

Whisgars had no Cuban cigars when I visited....and is insanely overpriced for some pretty average non-Cuban cigars. You can find Cuban cigars at the JW Marriott cigar shop, the Conrad Hotel's cigar shop, and at Siam Havana cigars in the Dusit Thani hotel. Hyatt Erawan may have a cigar shop too. (I wish I could find a place that sold top-of-the-line Nicaraguan tobacco cigars in Bangkok.)

http://www.witch-tavern.com/oyster/home.html

Happy hour 3-7pm I think 2-4-1 drinks. Not sure what they have on tap there.

Best place for decent beer in the area is the beer place on Soi 23 by Whisgars....expensive but they also have the Daniel Thaiger burger truck outside.

Good tip. He's staying at the Novotel around the corner so it is on the to-do list.

Try calling Bully's Pub on Sukhumvit and ask if they have OSH....they've got a lot of different beer stocked (well, they did last time I was there.) Might just be in the cans, though, not on tap.

Whisgars had no Cuban cigars when I visited....and is insanely overpriced for some pretty average non-Cuban cigars. You can find Cuban cigars at the JW Marriott cigar shop, the Conrad Hotel's cigar shop, and at Siam Havana cigars in the Dusit Thani hotel. Hyatt Erawan may have a cigar shop too. (I wish I could find a place that sold top-of-the-line Nicaraguan tobacco cigars in Bangkok.)

I recall Bully's has Guinness and Kilkenny (as well a some lagers); both the ONLY draughts in KL so maybe not.

I have my own stock of non-Cuban (so over rated) cigars so just looking for a nice place to indulge. Buying cigars in Thailand is a total rip-off. There's a chap running a shop called Humidor in Saigon that gets my business when I am there. Also a really good selection with good prices at the shop in the satellite terminal at KLIA (Kuala Lumpur international airport) as well as a Cigar Divan to smoke them while waiting for a flight. I order my Quai D'Orsay Coronas and San Cristóbal de La Habana El Morro's from a company in Hong Kong. Order online on Monday, delivered (or collected from Post Office or Customs) by Thursday. These are way better than overpriced Cohiba's and poor quality Monte Cristo's IMHO.

The Queen Vic on Soi 23 has OSH. Also the last time I was in the Royal Oak on 33/1 had it too.

The pub food in the Robin Hood on 33/1 is quite nice.

Good to know, thanks. We may just do the QV then shlep down to Soi Cowboy and see if the same thing happens to us upstairs at Baccara as happened the last time...

How is the Black Swan now, now that its moved?

Their Happy Hour is now all day on pints...I think 100 Baht. Same food...the bar is fine....a little narrow when it gets busy on a Friday night!

So the new venue is even smaller than the last? What is it a telephone box?

How is the Black Swan now, now that its moved?

Their Happy Hour is now all day on pints...I think 100 Baht. Same food...the bar is fine....a little narrow when it gets busy on a Friday night!

So the new venue is even smaller than the last? What is it a telephone box?

It has an upstairs as well which looks a bit bigger...at least the toilets are now on the ground floor...that's a positive as is the sheltered outdoor area for smokers.

snip----

I recall Bully's has Guinness and Kilkenny (as well a some lagers); both the ONLY draughts in KL so maybe not.

I have my own stock of non-Cuban (so over rated) cigars so just looking for a nice place to indulge. Buying cigars in Thailand is a total rip-off. There's a chap running a shop called Humidor in Saigon that gets my business when I am there. Also a really good selection with good prices at the shop in the satellite terminal at KLIA (Kuala Lumpur international airport) as well as a Cigar Divan to smoke them while waiting for a flight. I order my Quai D'Orsay Coronas and San Cristóbal de La Habana El Morro's from a company in Hong Kong. Order online on Monday, delivered (or collected from Post Office or Customs) by Thursday. These are way better than overpriced Cohiba's and poor quality Monte Cristo's IMHO.

snip----

Yeah, I used to order from what I presume is the same company in Hong Kong also....then Chiang Mai customs nailed me three times in a row and refused to allow me to even take delivery of the package. After that, I stopped ordering via mail and stick to duty free shops or shops in other countries.

You are correct, though, buying cigars in Thailand is a complete rip-off.