chiang mai cost of living?

P4K

When i was sniffing about in Chiang Mai in the villages you could rent a house for about 3,500 Baht a month.( rather nice but be careful of green snakes slithering about whilst sitting in the garden....)

Closer to Chiang Mai city ( Central Festival area ) you seem to be able to rent a one bedroom Condo for about 3,500 baht per month.

Or perhaps out of town i found some nice up market condos from about 4,000 baht a month ( quite expensive but exceptionally nice )

Close to the Train Station i found some reasonable Condos ( quite small ) but ideal for one person for about 3,500 a month.

But hold on viewers as the bargain of the century was when i was in one of the villages about 18 months ago and actually found a block of apartments ( could do with a lick of paint.... ) small with shower and bathroom and just 1000 baht a month! ( ideal for a backpacker or even worth renting as a storage room!

Don't deal with agencies and remember if there are farang living there then expect inflated prices!

F.J wai2.gif x

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well get an apartment for each person. Can get a decent studio for 2000 baht a month if you look but it probably won't have aircon. 3500 a month will get you a luxury studio with aircon.

3500 a month will get you a 30 sqm with aircon - just. The condo it's in will probably have infrastructure problems such as rusty water, unreliable electricity or a foyer reeking of urine. Luxury? I doubt it.coffee1.gif

Why don't you simply google CM condos, for rent - you will see many many options.

As with any place, the price will vary depending upon how close to the central tourist areas you want to be - there are places that I know of that are quite decent, w/pool - though not what I would consider luxury - for 4500 baht for studio and 6000 for one bedroom. That is about 10 minutes out of the tourist areas. Prices go up from that…

government rate on electric and actual water usage is worth 700-1000 thb per month. Facing north is also a saver, as is, avoiding the top floor. The difference in a freshly painted vs. needing a paint job might mean 1000 thb per month...paint is 120 per gallon...you could repaint for 500...paying more to live in a prime location will likely save you money; not to mention a motobike "xzdan" and a trip to RAM.

Four guys coming to a city with cheaper rent than anywhere in America, and they want to share? I would recommend "re-education." And are we to assume that your visa gives you permission to stay as long as the lease you are willing to sign? I'm sure your credit reports would be interesting reading, also. We've got 32 sm condos with balconies for 4000 thb, with government rate on electric. I think there are probably too many beautiful 20+ yo girls for your liking, though.

$500 isn't very cheap. I can find $300/month studios in my hometown. So I think you should do a LOT better in a 3rd world country price wise. I try to search for apartments in the $50-$100 range.

If you can rent a studio for $300 USD in America that not a "hometown". That's a prison yard.

post-233324-0-63291700-1448719855_thumb.

post-233324-0-53179300-1448719996_thumb.

You and your crew chilling in Chiang Mai??

Edited by ThaiWai

Luxury studio for 3.5K Baht a month? Umm... no. Unless you define luxury as "somewhere that cockroaches live"- in which case, go right ahead.

I never saw any cockroaches. My last apartment in CM was 3500 and it was really nice. Solid wood floors with an incredible balcony view. If I recall correctly the utility bill was rather low as well since CM is so cool.

I think you're all a bit jealous of my apartment finding skills. I'm able to secure 3* accomodation in Thailand for just US$100 a month(3500 baht) while the rest of you are paying 2-3x the amount. clap2.gif

Four guys coming to a city with cheaper rent than anywhere in America, and they want to share? I would recommend "re-education." And are we to assume that your visa gives you permission to stay as long as the lease you are willing to sign? I'm sure your credit reports would be interesting reading, also. We've got 32 sm condos with balconies for 4000 thb, with government rate on electric. I think there are probably too many beautiful 20+ yo girls for your liking, though.

$500 isn't very cheap. I can find $300/month studios in my hometown. So I think you should do a LOT better in a 3rd world country price wise. I try to search for apartments in the $50-$100 range.

$500?? I can rent an ok apartment in places like Ft. Wayne, Indiana, not a bad town, for $450. And then have the American choice of cars, much cheaper than in Thailand. No, I like Chiang Mai a lot, but not enough to go live there with higher living expenses than the U.S. I'd go for a $250 CM apartment.

I think you need to look at a slightly bigger picture than just rent and the cost of cars, for example, for most retired farangs living in Thailand it means not paying tax for a start plus lower living costs across the board. For example, here's what it costs us (two adults, own home) to live here:

Moobahn Annual Maintenance 100

Car repair/service 0

P/T housekeeper, P/T Gardener 12,000

Staff Social Security 500

Clothes 0

Dental 0

Drinking Water 100

Electric 1,200

Entertainment 0

Furniture 0

Furnishings 0

Garbage Collection 200

Garden Projects 0

Gas 50

Groceries 8,100

Home Repair 0

Hotels 0

HouseProjects 0

Internet (TOT) 790

Home Insurance 500

Loans 0

Medical 0

Misc. 0

Mobile Phone 200

Pharmacy 65

Petrol/Deisel 3,000

Restaurants 8,000

Telephone (TOT) 109

Tools 0

Travel 0

UBC 1,725

Visa/Immigration 0

Water (government) 115

Wine/Beer 3,160

That's around USD 1,125 per month, try and compare the above basic non-discretionary living costs against Ft Wayne and see what you get.

Edited by chiang mai

There are these dope loft style

Massive condos straight soma sf style for like 21,000 bht a month...you guys should go there...they are awesome and near kad san kaew mall...i can't remember the name but if you are interested i will cruise by again and check it out...they are pimp for real.

Luxury studio for 3.5K Baht a month? Umm... no. Unless you define luxury as "somewhere that cockroaches live"- in which case, go right ahead.

I never saw any cockroaches. My last apartment in CM was 3500 and it was really nice. Solid wood floors with an incredible balcony view. If I recall correctly the utility bill was rather low as well since CM is so cool.

I think you're all a bit jealous of my apartment finding skills. I'm able to secure 3* accomodation in Thailand for just US$100 a month(3500 baht) while the rest of you are paying 2-3x the amount. clap2.gif

I am very jealous, so maybe you could give us mere mortals a helping hand & a hint as to where's best to rent in CM.

Needs to be within walking distance of the shops, restaurants bars etc...(am a clumsy fcker so anything that involves 2 wheels is out), 20-25k THB pm is fine but has to be > 70 sqm & at least 1 bedroom...

Oh & no cockroaches, unless they're chipping in on the rent.

and lol at everyone freaking out about 4 people sharing a house. Its not necessarily to be cheap its mainly work related and its really normal actually, Ive been sharing places with other guys for the past year. And yea its better to have roommates to party with cause it prob gets boring alone. But if someone can point me in the direction of a luxury condo thats 500usd> im on board

Ah, now we start to get the whole story

Is this work related with or without work permits ?

Sounds to me like either a bunch of "digital nomads" or "boiler room" operation that would require four people sharing

and lol at everyone freaking out about 4 people sharing a house. Its not necessarily to be cheap its mainly work related and its really normal actually, Ive been sharing places with other guys for the past year. And yea its better to have roommates to party with cause it prob gets boring alone. But if someone can point me in the direction of a luxury condo thats 500usd> im on board

Ah, now we start to get the whole story

Is this work related with or without work permits ?

Sounds to me like either a bunch of "digital nomads" or "boiler room" operation that would require four people sharing

I noticed it too and thought the same thing.

Of course digital nomads, if they make enough, often needn't be this stingy. If I was in a different stage in my life, I'd be doing it too, because I could make enough writing to cover a fairly comfortable lifestyle in CM, based on the week I spent there. It's pretty much the only place in Thailand I'd consider living. However, I'm already settled, and unlikely to move to Thailand for a longer term than about 90 days for an extended vacation.

I think you need to look at a slightly bigger picture than just rent and the cost of cars, for example, for most retired farangs living in Thailand it means not paying tax for a start plus lower living costs across the board. For example, here's what it costs us (two adults, own home) to live here:

Moobahn Annual Maintenance 100

Car repair/service 0

P/T housekeeper, P/T Gardener 12,000

Staff Social Security 500

Clothes 0

Dental 0

Drinking Water 100

Electric 1,200

Entertainment 0

Furniture 0

Furnishings 0

Garbage Collection 200

Garden Projects 0

Gas 50

Groceries 8,100

Home Repair 0

Hotels 0

HouseProjects 0

Internet (TOT) 790

Home Insurance 500

Loans 0

Medical 0

Misc. 0

Mobile Phone 200

Pharmacy 65

Petrol/Deisel 3,000

Restaurants 8,000

Telephone (TOT) 109

Tools 0

Travel 0

UBC 1,725

Visa/Immigration 0

Water (government) 115

Wine/Beer 3,160

That's around USD 1,125 per month, try and compare the above basic non-discretionary living costs against Ft Wayne and see what you get.

Thanks for providing this breakdown

700$ gets you a nice Moo Baan house a bit further outside. Try around canal road. Nice area and big houses are below 25kTHB.

On top of this you pay water and electricity, plus cleaner and maintenance fee. 30k should get you a nice place. Without transport.

Edited by MadMac

for a bunch of old dudes I must say some of you have a solid troll game XD and yea thanks for the answers. So $100 a month for a scooter? and yea im looking at places now anyone who can link cheapish nice condos please do so

for a bunch of old dudes I must say some of you have a solid troll game XD and yea thanks for the answers. So $100 a month for a scooter? and yea im looking at places now anyone who can link cheapish nice condos please do so

Old dudes, young whippersnapper!

Chiangmai can be as cheap as you like it to be and it can also be the most expensive place ever if you have that kind of aspirations for that kind of lifestyle

I believe you can source cheap condos easily it's just more legwork hence you don't hear many real suggestions in this thread as most agents or those easy to find on a webpage are 10k upwards

Don't have anything about sharing but understand this is Thailand and unless all four of you are very well presented , it's just a landlord preference to rent to a couple or single person as in their perception there are less parties and less maintenance issues ...you would probably do the same when one day you own the property and get older

If you want some nice places to eat pm me ....

talking about usd obvs lol and yea we'd get a maid to clean up after us and its not bad we had a place in phuket 3 of us and it was okay. But yea how much is a 1b or studio condo here if I rent locally and furnished? and where should i go to find one?

Obviously??? Obvious because on Americans think they are the only people on this planet..let alone in Thailand.

You must know the song;

'

'

"Four in the bed and the little one said

Roll over, roll over"

Don't worry it's tolerated in Thailand lol

we got a place (3 young guys) in phuket with no problem, there were actually quite a few though, we were paying like 1k/m + electrical

Phuket has a great beach vibe culture which encourages entourage and big groups

Lanna culture may not be the same mate ...Chiangmai is significantly cheaper than Phuket if you are not a party person or drinker

Edited by LawrenceChee