Vientiane Consular Section Closed From 2 to 10 December (no visas issued)

The consulate in Savannakhet will be open during this period except for the 2nd, 7th and 10th for holidays.

No info on Vientiane website about the closure but I have received enough confirmation to to post this. I have been informed that a notice has been posted at the consular section about the closure.

One visa run company has adjusted their schedule and will be doing a run leaving on the 7th to Savannakhet instead of Vientiane.

Another has cancelled all their runs to Vientiane during the closure.

• Like 2

I think you will find the consulate to be closed on the 3rd as well, National Lao Day.

I assume you mean for Savannakhet since Vientiane will be closed everyday from the 2nd to the 10th.

Lao National Day is the 2nd not the 3rd. See: http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/officehours/?PAGEN_1=2

Yes, I meant Savannakhet which is why I typed 'consulate' rather than 'embassy'. Yes, you are correct. I had marked it as the third. Thanks for the correction. One of our employess we scheduled to head to Vientiane on Wednesday Night, so I am very glad you posted this.

• Like 1

Do you know if the information at http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20150105-133031-787144.pdf on holidays at the Penang consulate is correct? I am concerned that Thursday December 10 (Thai Constitution Day) does not show. Also, I kind of expected the consulate might close Friday December 4 (substitute for King's Birthday December 5).

Do you know if the information at http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20150105-133031-787144.pdf on holidays at the Penang consulate is correct? I am concerned that Thursday December 10 (Thai Constitution Day) does not show. Also, I kind of expected the consulate might close Friday December 4 (substitute for King's Birthday December 5).

I would assume it is correct,

The 7th is the substitute day for the Kings Birthday. The embassy in KL is closed on the 7th but not the 10th.

FYI _ Someone in our office called the embassy in Vientiane to make absolutely sure because the documents the person has that was scheduled to go to Vientiane are specific to that location. Some of them are official documents that cannot simply be printed off. The embassy staff confirmed the above information. Upon getting this confirmation, we proceeded to call Savaanakhet to aks them if they would accept the documents even though they are specific to Vientiane. Given the unusual circumstances, they said it would not be a problem and they would accept them. The staffperson on teh phone was reluctant to give any of his details (name, etc.). So, we will just have to see how it goes.

Thank u Ubon joe for posting and the rest for coming in. I was going to take my visiting sister to vte for a single entry on Friday. I think we'll do a border run instead and then get the single later or pay an overstay 2 days and go next Friday, Thx again everyone...

FYI _ Someone in our office called the embassy in Vientiane to make absolutely sure because the documents the person has that was scheduled to go to Vientiane are specific to that location. Some of them are official documents that cannot simply be printed off. The embassy staff confirmed the above information. Upon getting this confirmation, we proceeded to call Savaanakhet to aks them if they would accept the documents even though they are specific to Vientiane. Given the unusual circumstances, they said it would not be a problem and they would accept them. The staffperson on teh phone was reluctant to give any of his details (name, etc.). So, we will just have to see how it goes.

Usually the consultant in Savannakhet accepts documents addressed to the embassy in Vientiane. They are a consulate under that embassy so then it's OK. If you try the other way around and the documents are addressed to Savannakhet and you go to Vientiane then it has been straight "NO" as answer in the past, the same if the documents are addressed to an embassy in another country like Hanoi then they will not accept them either, neither in Vientiane or Savannakhet!

BTW. Thanks for the information, I did see it a little late as I'm on the bus to Mukdahan but at least I will not be standing in front of the consultant waiting for them to open tomorrow morning...

Just being nosy, but does anyone know WHY the consular section in Vientiane is closed? The building is quite new, they only moved there a few years ago so you would not think it requires major structural work, maybe the staff have been moved to 'inactive posts' and the new staff need a few days to become 'au fait' with the job or maybe they are installing a new computer system that links with the immigration computer system. Who knows?

Just an update from the friend who ended up heading to Savannakhet. It appears that they are also going to be closed tomorrow. They informed him that they would not reopen until Tuesday. For those, like him, who dropped off their applications and passports this morning, they were informed that they could come and pick them up at 4:00 pm today. I don't think it will affect too many people, as most people probably avoid dropping off their applications on a Friday to avoid the weekend stay if possible. I just thought I would let you know ...

• Like 1