Between CM city and Doi Inthanon: what to do/see?

jobin

There are roadside stands that sell very nice looking produce cheap, cheap, cheap. It's so fresh, they're bringing it straight out of the fields for some products. You might want to bring an ice chest with you to load up for the trip home.

Please be aware that it's the usual racism getting into the park with Thai price being 50 thb and falang price 6 times higher at 300 thb. Funny enough the racism is worse for falang kids at 150 thb while Thai brats can get in for only 20 thb. In the case of kids its a 7 1/2 times higher. Another thing I'd like to point out is that entry into the park does not get you into the pagoda is a further 40 thb.

One possibility on your way back from Doi Inthanon is to turn left onto Hwy 1269 near Hang Dong and drive up into the mountains next to Doi Suthep National Park. After about 30 kilometers of so, you can turn right onto Hwy 1096 and return to Mae Rim and then on to Chiag Mai. The countryside is very beautiful up there with great views, especially with the weather this time of year. There are many places to stop to eat and some temples along the way. Did the drive last week on my motorbike and it was great.

Edited by morpho

Just had some family stay with us a few days.

• Motorbike trip to Mon Jam, stopping at places around Mae Rim
  • Visit to Doi Suthep (horrible this time of year, hundreds of Chinese tourists with selfie sticks draping themselves across everything)
  • Visit to Wat Umong (much nicer)
  • Drinks at a rooftop bar at Maya
  • Drinks at the coffee shop/bar Sepsilp Glin Kafe Bannok with tables in the river on the way to Samoeng, then coffee at nearby Valley Coffee
  • Meal along the Ping river
  • Khao Soi at Nimmanhaemin Soi 7

We didn't go out much at night (12am closing times now so why bother) but Riverside pub is always fun, or you can find some nice spots anywhere along Nimmanhaemin.

Edited by andy85

Please be aware that it's the usual racism getting into the park with Thai price being 50 thb and falang price 6 times higher at 300 thb.

Funny enough the racism is worse for falang kids at 150 thb while Thai brats can get in for only 20 thb. In the case of kids its a 7 1/2 times higher. Another thing I'd like to point out is that entry into the park does not get you into the pagoda is a further 40 thb.

Racism? What racism?

There are roadside stands that sell very nice looking produce cheap, cheap, cheap. It's so fresh, they're bringing it straight out of the fields for some products. You might want to bring an ice chest with you to load up for the trip home.

Might be best to really try to clean the produce somehow of the loads of pesticides used while it is grown. Overheward one vendor saying that she wouldn't feed the unsold goods to her pigs as she was afraid theat it would poison them!

Caveat emptor.

Edited by fredge45

If you come down the canal road from the city, you can visit the Chiang Mai Grand Canyon - google - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+Canyon+ChiangMai/@18.6971225,98.8909613,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x30da369c9de1e241:0x37f860429efeae02

It is on the canal road going out past Hang Dong on the right.

Follow the canal road further along and take a left turn down into San Patong, go out through the town, past the traffic lights all the way through the town until you get onto the dual carriageway, about 1/2 mile along is a small diesel station, only one pump set back on the right hand side, take a U turn after you pass the diesel station and head back to where the pump is, then immediately after the pump there is a small soi on the left. turn down there and you will find a really nice lake - The locals will hate me for this as not many people know it exists, and it seems they want it kept that way, no hawkers, no shops to speak of.

I think it is called Nong Sariang just off Hwy. 108.

Google co-ordinates are 18.606233 / 98.886208

Well worth a look, but don't tell anyone.

If you are heading back, from the Hwy.108, take a left onto the new dual carriageway Hwy 116 (this joins up with the canal road again past Mae Wang)

Take the left turn for Mae Wang, go into the town Ban Kad and just after the market and government building on the right, take a right turn. Follow that until you see a large school on the right, go into the school and stop at the gate house - you need to have some form of I.D.

Tell the guys on the gate you want to visit the shrine to the dead Japs killed in WWII, it is a hidden gem! nearest co-ordinates are 18.605220 / 98.814576 Go and ring the huge gong! it'll wake the dead.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A1/@18.6029546,98.8107532,1250m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sjapanese+shrine+Ban+kad!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x60df8a31652a83e7!6m1!1e1

Come back out and carry on for about 5km on the same soi and make a left turn, you will come to a large lake (it is a bit low on water this year) Huay Manao. 18.640672 / 98.782084

Almost forgot, after leaving San Patong (going to Internon) you come to a small town called Thung Sieow, at the traffic lights turn left and about 1KM down that road on your right you will come to Takgan, there are loads of ruins dating back to when this place was the capital city of Lanna, before Chiang Mai. Pick you dates as if you hit on a day that the Royals turn up the traffic is chaos, members of the royal family visit here quite a lot.

Have fun

Edited by menzies233

Please be aware that it's the usual racism getting into the park with Thai price being 50 thb and falang price 6 times higher at 300 thb.

Funny enough the racism is worse for falang kids at 150 thb while Thai brats can get in for only 20 thb. In the case of kids its a 7 1/2 times higher. Another thing I'd like to point out is that entry into the park does not get you into the pagoda is a further 40 thb.

Racism? What racism?

How do you call dual pricing then ??

Racism? What racism?

How do you call dual pricing then ??

Sorry, Beng. You seem to have lost the plot.

My comment was about the ironic racism displayed within jpduggan's post itself. I find that to be far more racist than any dual pricing at park entrances.

Well, given that all people of the Asian race except Thai nationals pay B300, and that I (a whitey, but with the right ID card) pay B50, call it nationalism if you like. But it ain't racism.

Well, given that all people of the Asian race except Thai nationals pay B300, and that I (a whitey, but with the right ID card) pay B50, call it nationalism if you like. But it ain't racism.

When was the last time you got in for 50 baht? Or do you have PR with Thai ID card?