Intruder dies in California chimney after homeowner lights fire

webfact

Intruder dies in California chimney after homeowner lights fire

FRESNO: -- A suspected burglar who attempted to enter a California home through the chimney died on Saturday after the homeowner lit a fire without realizing the intruder was inside, police said.

The man appeared to have climbed into the chimney during the night while the owner was away and then became stuck, according to the Fresno County Sheriff's Office.

The owner of the home in Huron lit a fire in his fireplace on Saturday afternoon but then heard a man yelling inside the chimney as the house filled with smoke, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/30/us-california-chimney-idUSKBN0TI0UC20151130

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-11-30

I don't know if the police will decide to press charges against the homeowner ( eg negligent homicide ). However I'm sure that the burglar's family will sue the homeowner for his negligence, in not checking the chimney for occupants before lighting the fire.

Edited by tigermonkey

I don't know if the police will decide to press charges against the homeowner ( eg attempted murder). However I'm sure that the burglar will sue the homeowner for his negligence, in not checking the chimney for occupants before lighting the fire.

Does anybody read these stories before posting? It clearly states that the intruder died, so he won't be suing anyone, plus it would be a murder charge, not attempted murder as the intruder victim died.

A Darwin Award nominee?

You just can't even make this stuff up... omg

I don't know if the police will decide to press charges against the homeowner ( eg negligent homicide ). However I'm sure that the burglar's family will sue the homeowner for his negligence, in not checking the chimney for occupants before lighting the fire.

This is probably not too far from the truth.

When I attended burglary school, they taught us that you always check to see if someone is home before trying to break into a house. They said it was even better to case out a house prior to breaking in, to avoid getting killed. Guess this guy never attended the course. Who knows what would have happened once he landed, with the house occupants already there. Do burglars get any dumber? Hard to drum up much sympathy.

When I attended burglary school, they taught us that you always check to see if someone is home before trying to break into a house. They said it was even better to case out a house prior to breaking in, to avoid getting killed. Guess this guy never attended the course. Who knows what would have happened once he landed, with the house occupants already there. Do burglars get any dumber? Hard to drum up much sympathy.

Read again..

It seems he attempted to go down the chiminey the night before, when no one was home..and got stuck.

I don't know if the police will decide to press charges against the homeowner ( eg attempted murder). However I'm sure that the burglar will sue the homeowner for his negligence, in not checking the chimney for occupants before lighting the fire.

Does anybody read these stories before posting? It clearly states that the intruder died, so he won't be suing anyone, plus it would be a murder charge, not attempted murder as the intruder victim died.

Sorry about that. I realized my mistake and posted an edited /corrected version just before you posted your comment.

Expect some 'black lifes matter' riots soon

Are you saying that because you assume that the burglar was covered in soot, or because you assume he was black skinned, being a burglar and all. If you have a reference stating that he was black skinned, I would like to read it.

Oh and BTW, it is "blacks lives matter "

Well, let us all hope it was not Santa....otherwise my daughter will be pissed![emoji33]

Everything OK with Santa.

I was just sitting outside with my boy, watching the beautifull sky and he told me he see some rendeers and a sled flying by.

Happy holidays everybody, just check your chimey.

Edited by dutchisaan