Phuket locals protest US Ambassador

webfact

Phuket locals protest US Ambassador
Darawan Naknakhon

1448871757_1-org.jpg
The locals believe that Ambassador Davies violated Thailand's Les Majeste law.

PHUKET: -- A group of locals who belong to a club named ‘Beloved King’ visited Phuket Provincial Hall today (Nov 30) to hand in a formal complaint to Phuket Governor regarding a speech made by the US Ambassador which they believe breaks the country’s Les Majeste law.

The group allege that US Ambassador Glyn Davies made a speech at a recent International Press Club meeting in which he stated that Thailand’s Les Majaeste law (Section 112) restricts the freedom of people to express their opinion or express their opinion in peace.

They also allege that during the speech he stated that anyone who violates the law should not receive a prison sentence for doing so.

Mongkol Rattana president of the Phuket Beloved King Club said that Amb Davies’ speech is a cause for public concern, and the comments made were inappropriate and may cause internal unrest.

“His speech may effect or incite people to disobey the Les Majeste law. The comments made were not suitable for that of an ambassador,” he said.

He also said that the USA also has laws to protect the US president and no one complains about them.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-locals-protest-us-ambassador-55198.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-30

You're also allowed to call the Queen in the UK all manner of nasty and distasteful things, portray her in amusing positions, burn the flag etc etc, and she doesn't feel the need for any protection from "words". Guess we're still in the 16th century here in some areas.

Yes, the US has presidential immunity from prosecution for actions done as president, so that you don't end up prosecuting elected officials for negligence and malfeasance, unlike what Yingluck is going through. With respect to defamation, Obama has less protection than regular citizens because he is a "public figure" and, therefore, false statements against him can only be defamatory if they are made with actual malice. I won't try to explain Thailand's defamation law, because it is impermissibly vague by western standards, is a criminal offense, and each judge "knows it when he sees it" (cf, Justice Potter Stewart's definition of obscene in Jacobellis v. Ohio). 112 is an anachronism that needs reform, including eliminating the minimum prison sentence of 3 years and immunizing witnesses who testify for the defendant.

Edited by zaphod reborn

Wow...

Coconuts, monkeys, the movie Jackass.

Again, all you folks are 1000% right.

Each day and night when I log on to ThaiVisa, I see prejudice, idealist and smart sensitive people expressing their values within the confines.

I adore my wife. But no matter what, I can not change her ways. She is the boss. Do I get angry when I forewarn her about something and she doesn't listen. But seconds later, it happens and I have to pay?

The road to enlightenment is paved with stupidity.

You can clearly see by their eyes that every breathe they take is confusing for them.. just like those guys from the westburrow church in the US.

Dumb people that need to be part of something bigger is something that happens in every country, nothing to do with Thais.

I think they should ban bad words in general. Oh and bad thoughts. Also doing things that are against the law should be illegal.

If people get offended then that could cause internal unrest. Can't have arguments, can we? That would be bad.

I have said it before on here and I say it again.

The vast majority of the 7 billion humans on this planet have been given no education, very little education, or specific brainwashing education. If they do not get up off the their ignorant asses and even try to educate themselves with all that is available to them now they end up as adults with the mental capacity of an average 10 year old for the western society 40 years ago.

The lesser individuals are about 8 ( they are the ones that blow whistles all day at cars / or stay home and take care of sisters baby ) and the ones that stand out are maybe a 12 year old.

In many cases this is far from the fault of the individual, for example my GF's mother is in her late 60's - she got no education. She cannot read or write Thai and rarely speaks it as she lives in rural Isaan. For most Thais in rural areas over the age of 40 this is the norm.

I spent 120 hours at 3 "schools" here in Thailand to learn the lingo. I learned to read and taught myself the alphabet using flash cards. My last teacher said I had reached the reading skills of a Thai 12 year old and it only took me 80 hours at school and work I did myself over a 12 month period.

So the individuals seen in the photo with this article look and act like what I have already described, lacking in global awareness and infantile in their approach to the issue.

Hopefully I have not offended any one with my one personal remarks and opinion.....maybe even that is against the law...it is in North Korea !!!

You're also allowed to call the Queen in the UK all manner of nasty and distasteful things, portray her in amusing positions, burn the flag etc etc, and she doesn't feel the need for any protection from "words". Guess we're still in the 16th century here in some areas.

In the days when I was teaching, before giving up to protect what little sanity I had left, it was always fun to ask students wearing shorts, T-shirts etc that appeared to be cut out of the Stars and Stripes, Union Flag etc if they would wear the Thai flag in such a manner.

The response was always a shocked and emphatic NO as it's wrong to insult the national flag.

So what about the flags of other countries, aah that was different as these flags were not theirs so it was ok to wear them any way they wanted.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

*sigh*

Do these idiots not realise he wasn't criticizing the monarchy but rather the ridiculous laws used and abused by the elites to suppress people?

No. I have one of these ultra nationalists as a neighbour and can assure you they are brain dead. BTW, I would suggest they put up a statue of Betty Mckenzie at the Heroine's Monument. And she 'saved' the entire country (albeit unwittingly), not just this island.

Edited by dageurreotype