VAT refund on thai elite visa ?

Thai elite is a tourist visa, therefore you are a tourist so you can claim VAT refund normally. It's designed for tourists, elite tourists or not it should be the same no ?

The VAT Refund for Tourist is for goods, and a VISA is not a good but a service.

But you are free to check the ThaiElite site if they carry the "Vat Refund for Tourist" sign, which all participating stores should have.

Purchasing goods from shops that participate in the VAT Refund for Tourists' scheme. Look for VAT refund for tourist sign displaying at the stores.

Link: http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1387-vat-refunds

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Thai elite is a tourist visa, therefore you are a tourist so you can claim VAT refund normally. It's designed for tourists, elite tourists or not it should be the same no ?

Buy the visa. Claim the VAT refund .

Then write and tell us the outcome.coffee1.gif

The VAT Refund for Tourist is for goods, and a VISA is not a good but a service.

But you are free to check the ThaiElite site if they carry the "Vat Refund for Tourist" sign, which all participating stores should have.

Purchasing goods from shops that participate in the VAT Refund for Tourists' scheme. Look for VAT refund for tourist sign displaying at the stores.

Link: http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1387-vat-refunds

I don't think the OP is looking for a VAT refund on the purchase of the Elite Visa.

• Like 2

^ I understand what you are getting at, so maybe the OP should explain it a bit more.

Does he wants ?

a- Buy the Elite Visa and claim the VAT back on the purchase of the VISA when he leaves the country

b- Buy the Elite Visa and claim the VAT back on the purchase of GOODS when he leaves the country

^ who cares ? If you pay for the visa, and you are happy that you got it.

What happens with the money after that who cares.

:wai:

^^ just one example:

If any of it flowed back to the guy that originally brainstormed the idea, there would be an uproar. On TV anyway

But understand that when you bring the goods back in to Thailand, you can get charged to pay the VAT again.

Also when you bring the items in to for example "Schengen" then you also have a chance to get charged (their) VAT.

The above is something worth considering

:wai:

Yes sure but if your items are opened then how and why would they charge you for personal effects ?

Let's say you buy a phone, you get VAT refund and 3 days later you come back, no one is going to check if the same phone that's in your pocket got VAT refunded before you leave.

Assuming this, this visa is worth a bit more than what i thought. The elite visa guy confirmed all of this.

Oke, point taken, but whatif they (Thai customs) going to ask you for the Bill that you purchased it in Thailand ??? whistling.gif

edit: Remember the rule about only 30.000 THB worth of stuff you are allowed to bring in (not sure if they are strict with it, maybe ask in the Airport forum)

Edited by MJCM

But understand that when you bring the goods back in to Thailand, you can get charged to pay the VAT again.

Also when you bring the items in to for example "Schengen" then you also have a chance to get charged (their) VAT.

wai.gif

They only charge it on new items..

Well schengen does anyway..

wai.gif

They only charge it on new items..

Well schengen does anyway..

But the stuff JohnnyBKK will take out of Thailand will be new stuff ;)

But Schengen tries it even on "older" stuff.

Personal Experience

Flew back from Thailand to Schengen, went through customs, suitcase through the X-Ray. Customs Officer saw a pair of glasses.

Customs: "Did you buy them in Thailand" ?

Me: "No, as you can see I wear glasses and I have an extra pair, just in case"

Customs: "Open suitcase"

Long story short he inspected the glasses and finally got convinced that it was a 2nd pair and let me through.