Snakes

krayner

My wife has just returned to the UK after 2 weeks in Ranong helping her family finish off some tourist bungalows.

I was downloading the pictures off the digital camera and there was one photo of one of the workers disposing of a f**king great green snake. This wasn't some weedy vine snake but a bloody great big bastard.

She says that during the monsoon snakes like a nice warm dry place to hang out so inside the roof of an unoccupied bungalow is just great but once the dry season comes and there are more humans about the snakes tend to dispurse.

Last year they also killed a large cobra when clearing the site. They are now cutting back the trees near the bungalows and clearing the ground.

Do they tend to dispurse during the dry season and is this only a wet season problem.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmm......you're clearing land - thats why you are seeing so many of them. They are otherwise shy creatures and will push off as soon as their habitat is turned upside down, but it's not unusual to find them in rooves and under floors. Take it out or leave it along - it presents no threat left alone.

Sad that the Thai's tend to kill them.

Do not get bitten by a King Cobra - I was bitten (in Thailand) about 11 years ago - and will live for the rest of my life with the damage to my leg (my own stupid fault to be honest).

Tim

mmmm......you're clearing land - thats why you are seeing so many of them. They are otherwise shy creatures and will push off as soon as their habitat is turned upside down, but it's not unusual to find them in rooves and under floors. Take it out or leave it along - it presents no threat left alone.

Do not get bitten by a King Cobra - I was bitten (in Thailand) about 11 years ago - and will live for the rest of my life with the damage to my leg (my own stupid fault to be honest).

Tim

They cleared the land last year which why they found the cobra. They are now ready to open and are just waiting for the dry season to start so I was somewhat startled to see the picture. I am keeping my fingers crossed that once the dry season starts and there are more people that they will keep away.

On my first trip to Thailland in 1980 I saw a few large snakes but since then I have only seen road kill except in Khao Lak a few years ago when a local man killed a cobra outside his back door.

I hate snakes so as long as they keep to the jungle all will be fine.

Kevin

My wife has just returned to the UK after 2 weeks in Ranong helping her family finish off some tourist bungalows.

I was downloading the pictures off the digital camera and there was one photo of one of the workers disposing of a f**king great green snake. This wasn't some weedy vine snake but a bloody great big bastard.

She says that during the monsoon snakes like a nice warm dry place to hang out so inside the roof of an unoccupied bungalow is just great but once the dry season comes and there are more humans about the snakes tend to dispurse.

Last year they also killed a large cobra when clearing the site. They are now cutting back the trees near the bungalows and clearing the ground.

Do they tend to dispurse during the dry season and is this only a wet season problem.

Any chance we can see this pic?? :o

Any chance we can see this pic?? :o

I will have to send it later as the image is on the computer at home. The workman disposing of the snake is a bit far off but you can see the size of the thing.

Kevin

Never mind about not being bitten by a cobra - don't let any sort of snake bite you.

Not all are venomous, but trying to work out if the snake that is attacking you is a cobra or some other venomous beastie, while all the time trying to fend it off is just asking for trouble.

Treat any and all snakes as dangerous unless you happen to be a trained herpetologist - and if you don't know what that word means, then you aren't one so avoid snakes!

Most snakes, but not all, will go the other way when they sense your approach (they are deaf, but they detect vibrations in their surroundings). During certain seasons, such as when they have eggs, or live young, they can be aggressive and bite first, even if it is not their normal habit to do so.

I grew up in Australia and fortunately didn't have any problems or difficulties with snakes, but it is part of our upbringing to be made aware of snakes right from a young age - especially if you grow up in the bush (countryside).

If you avoid them, they will usually avoid you as long as it's not a matter of their survival - they are wild creatures after all!

Never mind about not being bitten by a cobra - don't let any sort of snake bite you.

Not all are venomous, but trying to work out if the snake that is attacking you is a cobra or some other venomous beastie, while all the time trying to fend it off is just asking for trouble.

Treat any and all snakes as dangerous unless you happen to be a trained herpetologist - and if you don't know what that word means, then you aren't one so avoid snakes!

Most snakes, but not all, will go the other way when they sense your approach (they are deaf, but they detect vibrations in their surroundings). During certain seasons, such as when they have eggs, or live young, they can be aggressive and bite first, even if it is not their normal habit to do so.

I grew up in Australia and fortunately didn't have any problems or difficulties with snakes, but it is part of our upbringing to be made aware of snakes right from a young age - especially if you grow up in the bush (countryside).

If you avoid them, they will usually avoid you as long as it's not a matter of their survival - they are wild creatures after all!

Here are a couple of photos of the snake.

Kevin

post-18259-1160416666_thumb.jpg

post-18259-1160416709_thumb.jpg

...workers disposing of a f**king great green snake. This wasn't some weedy vine snake but a bloody great big bastard.

Hi,

I awoke after my first night in Kuantan, Malaysia and met this climbing the stairs!

I grabbed a towel, waved it and shouted. The snake retreated to the kitchen under the 'fridge.

The guys in the picture are from the local 'Bomba' fire-brigade and snake catching is a regular occurrence.

Since learnt that the snake was a python and not venomous, only swallows babies and small animals!

Cheers,

John_Betong

post-21917-1160447857_thumb.jpg

post-21917-1160447918_thumb.jpg

The first time I went to my fiances parents house, we saw a green snake in the lounge room, my gf said kill it to me, ofcouse me trying to impress the parents said no worries, But i was scared shitless as I didnt know if it was poisonous etc.

I just got the shovel and chased it and bashed it with the shovel. My heart was beating then they tell me it is not poisinous.

Then a few weeks later there was a cobra in the garage, I said im not going anywhere near that so they got the nextdoor neighbour to do it.

Anyways whats worst a cobra bite or the spit in the eyes??

The first time I went to my fiances parents house, we saw a green snake in the lounge room, my gf said kill it to me, ofcouse me trying to impress the parents said no worries, But i was scared shitless as I didnt know if it was poisonous etc.

I just got the shovel and chased it and bashed it with the shovel. My heart was beating then they tell me it is not poisinous.

Then a few weeks later there was a cobra in the garage, I said im not going anywhere near that so they got the nextdoor neighbour to do it.

Anyways whats worst a cobra bite or the spit in the eyes??

I was having a look in my book of Thai reptiles and I was confused as the largest geen snake is a bamboo pit viper at 112cm. The specimen in the photo must be at leat 150 cm, assuming the guy desposing of it is about 5ft 3ins.

I showed the picture in the book to my wife and she instantly recognised it.

I've loaned out my 'Big Book of Snakes" ..... but, if it is a pit viper..... very nasty.

I'm not too sure of the exact numbers, but from memory, only 20% of the varieties of snake in Thailand are venomous. But always err on the side of caution, if you don't know what you are doing, call someone who does (preferably someone you don't like :o:D )

i have a great photo of a 5 metre king cobra taken on koh phangan. :D

i was riding my motor cycle over the mountain to T.N.P and was confronted with this monsterous thing taking up the whole road. :D

i wont tell you what i done as you would not believe me but had my camera and got some good shots. :D

will never forget it as you die real quick if you get bitten. :D

cheers :o

It only seems snakes are more active in the cold/wet season as they move around looking for a warm place. In places where their natural habitat has been removed then they will tend to look for warmth in houses etc...they will also follow a food source....lizards are good for keeping insects down...but they are a food source for snakes. Snakes are cold blooded so they will bask in the sun or as shy creatures try and find warmth in hidden places....old logs, behind water heaters, roof spaces etc...

leave them alone and they will leave you alone....however if there is one in your house and you dont know if it is poisonous or not...then get a local or an expert in...

by no means try and pick one up....use something like a long leafy branch to usher it out of your area....didnt you guys ever watch Steve Irwin :o

Terry, please do share the photos if they're digital.

Nothing like a good old wildlife thread to brighten up all the 'relationship gone wrong' threads. :D

you'll have to help me sort out how to do it meadish.

the photos where taken in 1988 and there on hard copy,

but there real clear and beautiful photos and the snake is a huge frigging mother of a thing as it takes up the whole width of the road.

there's D 9 cat road grader tracks in the photo and it dwarfs the tracks. :D

ive got no scanner and to be honest i would not have a clue how to get them up for the punters to see.

i arrive in los on the 31st of this month and if your interested i'll give them to you and maybe you can post them for me ?

cheers terry :o

I'd like to hear the rest of that story. I saw a king cobra in a zoo recently and it looked most formidable. Apparently a person can die within 15 minutes of a king cobra bite. You were lucky. Tell us the story please.

Tim

Me and the wife saw a snake in Pattaya last year, it was light green curled up in the middle of the pavement, can't remember exactly where but it was a busy shopping area, rmust of been 2/3 feet long. I had to warn the lady behind me as she was about to step on it!

Talking of wild life, when i was on Koh Tao i remember not being able to sleep for amazingly loud croaking sounds, i guess frogs but i never actually saw them, what were they?

Me and the wife saw a snake in Pattaya last year, it was light green curled up in the middle of the pavement, can't remember exactly where but it was a busy shopping area, rmust of been 2/3 feet long. I had to warn the lady behind me as she was about to step on it!

Talking of wild life, when i was on Koh Tao i remember not being able to sleep for amazingly loud croaking sounds, i guess frogs but i never actually saw them, what were they?

Accidently ran over an Isaan Spitting cobra yesterday afternoon. It was a big one, at least 5 feet long or more. It was dry and sunny. The snake came slithering out from the side of the road very quickly and tried to cross in front of me. Unfortunately it wasn't quick enough, nor was I to avoid hitting it. We were driving back to Surin from the Tasawan Silk Village. Friends visiting us from Bangkok were driving behind me and I couldn't hit the brakes without causing an accident.

Cent

Probably frogs (toads, don't touch the lumpy ones) .... had it rained earlier?

no..but lots of little pools of water around.

no..but lots of little pools of water around.

Thats enough for a toad :o

We live on a stream and have a small pool out in front (very small, just a fish pond) and the toads can get so loud a person has to practically shout to be heard.

And just to stay on topic, I might add that the toads and frogs are definitely on many snakes' menus :D

I was on the motorbike just outside our moo ban and came up behind an old man on a bicycle, straw hat and puffin' away on a huge rolled up cigarette, he must have been cruising at a good 1 km per hour. Sabaii sabaii. Brown snake darts out of the long grass, finds itself under his feet/bicycle, coills up, jumps to bite him, misses, darts back in the long grass. The old man never saw a thing. :D That snake could move so fast! I just never thought they did until I saw this one.

About snakes up in the roof, I leave the attic trap opened in the office, it sucks up hot air and cigarette smoke from the house. I think I' ll shut that closed tomorrow... :o

When the toads and frogs decide to meet up for their choir in the park in front, watching tv involves wearing headphones or reading the subtitles. Many bury themselves, you wont find them easily. I dug one up last summer and the soil was dry, they sort of hibernate I guess and wait for rain or the garden hose to come around.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Especially in the rain season i get many snakes in my garden. I kill them all. I got a small kid, and three dogs. Sorry, no compassion for snakes. Killing them is a lot easier than catching them.

I am far more worried though about centipedes. Different than snakes, centipedes are very aggressive, and their bites hurt a lot, can kill even a child. In the rains now we kill one nearly every second day. :o

I'd like to hear the rest of that story. I saw a king cobra in a zoo recently and it looked most formidable. Apparently a person can die within 15 minutes of a king cobra bite. You were lucky. Tell us the story please.

Tim

its a top story my friend and i'll write it up tonight as im off to work today.

dont think to many punters haver seen a king cobra that large in the wild and ive got the cracker photos to prove it.

hav'nt seen them for years but will now dig them out.

if i can get someone to help me i could post them up i imagine . there on hard copy but close ups a clear as a bell.

if anyone wants a copy they can p'm me and i'll post a copy.

be careful on the mountain at koh pangan but i think to see a snake like this in the wild is very rare indeed.

only seen that snake once and used to be a motorcycle taxi guy riding that mountain twice everyday.

i have a great photo of a 5 metre king cobra taken on koh phangan. :D

i was riding my motor cycle over the mountain to T.N.P and was confronted with this monsterous thing taking up the whole road. :D

i wont tell you what i done as you would not believe me but had my camera and got some good shots. :D

will never forget it as you die real quick if you get bitten. :D

When was that terry?

I remember, must have been about 14 or so years ago, they had a huge King Cobra in Ban Kai, again, crossing the road (why did the cobra cross the road :D ). That thing must have also been about 5m. I never saw it alive (thank god) but saw the dead body on the side of the road. Apparently, a songthaew was driving along the road (dirt at the time) and the snake reared up at the truck as it passed. Scared the heck out of everyone in the back of the truck and the driver floored it. Oddly enough, about a week later a smaller King Cobra showed up (maybe only about 4m) and was also killed.

When buying my first house in Patters, I was booked in by the selling agent into a brand new, cheap and clean Hotel at the rear of his premises. The door to the room ( brand new, I being first paying customer for that room ) was opened by a pass card key and in I went bursting for a widdle. Couldn't find the ###### magnetic holder for the key so opened the bathroom door in semi-darkness. A rubber snake fell over my arm which had been placed over the bathroom door by my now ex-pal the developer. I screamed threw the ###### thing on the bed, had the widdle and put the light on just in time to seem the ###### thing slithering towards me for his/her own bit of revenge.

Moral of the story. Pattaya Real Estate Agents have no sense of humour and the rubber snake you think is a prank, will probably be real !!!!! :o

Edited by suiging