Snakes

krayner

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This day was a disaster.

I had left my dog in his kennel while I went to eat. When I came back, there was a dead cobra on the bottom of his kennel and a lot of saliva.

Having no idea how long ago this happened, not knowing if he had been tagged, and 30 minutes to the vet...it was a scary time.

We got to the vet and he was foaming a bit at the mouth and a little wobbly on his feet, so the vet put a saline drip in his leg and we waited to see what would happen. He did not deteriorate and after 2 hours the vet was satisfied that if he had been bit, it was not bad and more likely he swallowed some venom as he really destroyed the snake.

On the way home, he did vomit a few times in the back of the truck, but he was fine the next day. Unfortunately he is always looking for snakes and I can never let him off the leash, even in my walled compound.

Snake was a common monacled cobra close to 3 feet long. My dog is a 40kg pitbull.

I had previuously lost 2 dogs to snakes in Phuket. You can by antivenom from Phuket hospital. If I remember it was about 2000 baht...but I recommend keeping the antivenom, syringes and needles in a plastic container in the fridge, and ask the doctor how to administer it. Good idea to read the instructions before hand too. Better safe than sorry.

post-21832-1210328608_thumb.jpg

Here is one that visited my home in Hang Dong three years ago.

Was told it is venomous. I sprayed some water onto it and the snake slid away, never saw it again.

that is a Golden Tree Snake Chrysopelea ornata

common species, mildly venomous, that has a particular interest in eating the 'tokay' gecko...

This one is from the klongs in BKK.

I think this python is about 4-5m long.

Scared the shit out of us....

That's a monitor lizard not a snake...

I thought it had the wrong shape of head to be a snake,I think it is a moitor as well, Nignoy

mmmm......you're clearing land - thats why you are seeing so many of them. They are otherwise shy creatures and will push off as soon as their habitat is turned upside down, but it's not unusual to find them in rooves and under floors. Take it out or leave it along - it presents no threat left alone.

Sad that the Thai's tend to kill them.

Do not get bitten by a King Cobra - I was bitten (in Thailand) about 11 years ago - and will live for the rest of my life with the damage to my leg (my own stupid fault to be honest).

Tim

They cleared the land last year which why they found the cobra. They are now ready to open and are just waiting for the dry season to start so I was somewhat startled to see the picture. I am keeping my fingers crossed that once the dry season starts and there are more people that they will keep away.

On my first trip to Thailland in 1980 I saw a few large snakes but since then I have only seen road kill except in Khao Lak a few years ago when a local man killed a cobra outside his back door.

I hate snakes so as long as they keep to the jungle all will be fine.

Kevin

==============

You wouldn't care for my Thai ex-wife at all then I sure...

I live near Chiang Mai and tonight when I came home from work my wife pointed out this snake to me. She is like me and prefers not to go near them, that is why she left this one alone until I came home. Well needless to say, when I went to remove it I found out it was already dead.

Anyway, I am wondering if someone could assure my judgement and tell me that this is a Lycodon laoensis (aka Laotian Wolf snake) and it is not poisionous.

post-46350-1210855179_thumb.jpg

mmmm......you're clearing land - thats why you are seeing so many of them. They are otherwise shy creatures and will push off as soon as their habitat is turned upside down, but it's not unusual to find them in rooves and under floors. Take it out or leave it along - it presents no threat left alone.

Sad that the Thai's tend to kill them.

Do not get bitten by a King Cobra - I was bitten (in Thailand) about 11 years ago - and will live for the rest of my life with the damage to my leg (my own stupid fault to be honest).

Tim

Actually I would recommend not getting bitten by any snake, I had a similar experience 13 years ago in India.

In Goa I was returning to my guest house at 10.30 at night it was the beginning of the wet season and had been raining all day and was still raining and I crossed paths with a snake I think it must have been flooded out of it's hole. well it just clipped me and I didn;t feel the bite (this was later described to me as a F-ck off bite cos snakes can't talk and it told me the only way it could).The next day my foot was swollen so I went to the pharmacy for some anti inflammitories it took me 4 days to seek a doctor as my foot was turning black. :D

I was emergency evacuated out to New Dehli and spent 6 weeks in hospital the first 2 weeks they were talking of amputation as it was too late for anti venom they just kept pumping anti biotics into me. The damage it caused was referred to as necrosis similar to a white tail spider bite(Aussies will know about them). So I had a skin graft which covers the top of my left foot. :D

I couldn't work for a futher 5 months as I couldn't wear my safety boots.

The type of snake is still unknown.

Travel insurance paid for it all. I strongly recommend Travel Insurance to all Travellers. :D:o

Yes I was Sh-tting myself especially about the prospect of amputation. :DB)

I hate snakes well maybe if barbecued they would be OK :D

Everythings ok now except I can't move my little toe. I also use it as a excuse to avoid having to dance :D:D

In closing I again recommend Travel Insurance you may not get snake bit but I've seen many people injiurd on motor bikes.

lilBob

This one is from the klongs in BKK.

I think this python is about 4-5m long.

Scared the shit out of us....

Yes, that certainly is a Monitor Lizard...we have them all over here in our complex, they love the dirty klongs...you can see them right next to busy interesections and just about anywhere in Bangkok or any other city in Thailand...and there's no way it was 4-5 meters long, for the biggest of them are a little over 2 meters...

Also, thanks for defining my tree snake for me, the couple people who did...i assumed it was a tree snake and was just wondering if it was poisonous...either way it was a cool looking snake.

I live near Chiang Mai and tonight when I came home from work my wife pointed out this snake to me. She is like me and prefers not to go near them, that is why she left this one alone until I came home. Well needless to say, when I went to remove it I found out it was already dead.

Anyway, I am wondering if someone could assure my judgement and tell me that this is a Lycodon laoensis (aka Laotian Wolf snake) and it is not poisionous.

yes, that is Lycodon laoensis

harmless... (even when it was alive)