Multi-entry Non-imm (o) "marriage Visa"

Finally, I'm planning to get my initial Non-Imm (O) visa at the end of this month (due to other unavoidable events, I haven't been able to do this until now --> my double-entry Tourist Visa expired on Oct. 1 so I did a visa run to Ranong)...

In looking at airfares today, roundtrips to KL and Singapore are fairly close (averaging around 10,000 baht) so I'm curious which one to choose (I've been to neither city before).

My questions are:

1. is a multi-entry Non-Imm (O) easier to obtain in KL or in Singapore?
  2. since this is my initial "Marriage Visa" (NOT the extension to stay), what's the latest word on exact requirements?
  3. is the Consulate/Embassy in KL or Singapore easier to get to from the airport than the other?
  4. do both offer similar turnaround -- i.e., submit application by noon one day, pick up after 2 the following day, etc.?
  5. any recommendations on "budget" acoomodations in either city?
  6. nightlife or things to see/do?

I think that about covers my questions for now...

Finally, I'm planning to get my initial Non-Imm (O) visa at the end of this month (due to other unavoidable events, I haven't been able to do this until now --> my double-entry Tourist Visa expired on Oct. 1 so I did a visa run to Ranong)...

In looking at airfares today, roundtrips to KL and Singapore are fairly close (averaging around 10,000 baht) so I'm curious which one to choose (I've been to neither city before).

My questions are:

2. since this is my initial "Marriage Visa" (NOT the extension to stay), what's the latest word on exact requirements?
  3. is the Consulate/Embassy in KL or Singapore easier to get to from the airport than the other?
  4. do both offer similar turnaround -- i.e., submit application by noon one day, pick up after 2 the following day, etc.?

I am doing the same as you, and i chose Singapore. The airfare I got was cheaper to singapore and I also spoke to both embassies on the phone, and singapore was alot more helpful and they required less doccuments. From the airport you can just catch the MRT and have a short walk to the embassy, or pay about $20 for a taxi. I dont know anything else about the night life ect, as im only going to get the visa. Ill be going the last week in Oct and if you havent gone by then, ill let you know what happend......................

My questions are:

I would personally recommend Kuala Lumpur.

I ended up choosing Singapore -- slightly more things to see & do during the couple of days I plan on being there (based mainly on reading Wikitravel articles on both locations). Since I'll be going with my Thai wife, I wanted her to see something a bit different as well...

You can get there for a lot less with Tiger Airways. The cheapest I could see with a Bangkok-Singapore return was less than 5k included taxes and fees.

The Leaning Tower of Singapore is relatively cheap and in a good spot near MRT etc.

I think Singapore knocks KL on its ass. Good looking city with loads of attractions, although expensive. Orchard road for Thai embassy and shopping. Boat Quay for nightlife and Orchard Towers for totty. Think same turn-around time as you suggest.

Marriage cert', passport, copy of wife's ID and payment should do it for visa. They were still doing multis in July but you'd only need a single if going for extension.

You can get there for a lot less with Tiger Airways. The cheapest I could see with a Bangkok-Singapore return was less than 5k included taxes and fees.

We're booked with Tiger --> roundtrip Phuket-Singapore: 2x tickets - 5,920 baht, taxes/surcharges - 4,950 baht for a grand total of 10,870 baht. Staying at the Oxford on Queen Street (USD $50 per night; since my wife is travelling with me I need to stay out of the backpacker dorms I prefer...).

I'm trying to wade through the thread on extension requirements now for when I do that part of the process. I don't quite meet the 40,000 baht-per-month income but it seems to me that I can get the US Embassy to certify a statement I make saying that I do have the income :o - (QUESTION: Can I get this affadavit at the US Embassy in Singapore or would it have to be from Bangkok?)

I understand that the Embassy in Singapore accepts visa applications before 11 a.m. and issues the next working day in the afternoon.I,m not sure at what time they close shop though.

Royal Thai Embassy (65) 67372644

We're booked with Tiger --> roundtrip Phuket-Singapore: 2x tickets - 5,920 baht, taxes/surcharges - 4,950 baht for a grand total of 10,870 baht. Staying at the Oxford on Queen Street (USD $50 per night; since my wife is travelling with me I need to stay out of the backpacker dorms I prefer...).

I'm trying to wade through the thread on extension requirements now for when I do that part of the process. I don't quite meet the 40,000 baht-per-month income but it seems to me that I can get the US Embassy to certify a statement I make saying that I do have the income :o - (QUESTION: Can I get this affadavit at the US Embassy in Singapore or would it have to be from Bangkok?)

Didn't realise you were travelling with wifey - 10k is good then for two. Not sure about the embassy certifying your income as I've never had to do it, but would have thought it wouldn't matter where as long as you get it translated into Thai after.

I understand that the Embassy in Singapore accepts visa applications before 11 a.m. and issues the next working day in the afternoon.I,m not sure at what time they close shop though.

Royal Thai Embassy (65) 67372644

Royal Thai Embassy

370 Orchard Road

Singapore 238870

Tel. (65-6) 737-2158, 737-2644, 737-2475-6

Fax. (65-6) 732-0778

Consular: (65-6) 835-4991

E-mail : [email protected]

Office Hours :

Visa and Consular section : 09.15-12.00 a.m. and 14.00-16.30 p.m.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1830.php?depcode=24700100

mjochim,

Are you sure you can get a multi-entry in Singapore?

I was told no by a recommended visa scout on the ground there.

PM me and i'll give you his e-mail.

regards

nam

Email from Royal Thai Embassy in Singapore says still possible with 400,000 baht in the bank. But reading the thread about the post-Oct. 1 requirements I'm starting to wonder... Probably depends on the mood of the person on the day. But, I suppose all I really need is the single entry and then go for the extension in 90 days.

I got an e-mail from them saying that they will give ma a 1 year multi entry Non O. The fee will be 200 Singapore Dollars. They also said in the e-mail that visa application time is up to 12:15pm. (not 11am or 12pm, like it says on their website)

I e-mailed them again yesterday and they replyed with the same info, so i will print this out as evdience when i go there, in case they make difficulkties for me.

I suggest you e-mail them as well, if you like, then you can print out the information and take it with you, it might help if they change their mind on the day.

Hi all,

My wife and I just returned from Singapore today, where I got my very first non-immigrant O visa, good for one year (multi-entry). I had been doing border runs since January of this year.

Here's the straight scoop:

Visa applications are only accepted between 09:15 and 12:15 Mon-Fri, closed on Thai holidays.

Passport/visa pickup is the next day starting at 14:00 - pickup available until 16:30

Show up right at 09:00 and be in the front of the line. (we got there around 09:30 and were about 20th in the queue). Go inside the embassy, grab a visa application, and fill it out - very simple form. Then grab a queue number from the Q-o-matic and wait for your number to be called.

For the "married man's visa": my initial understanding (based on advice from Sunbelt) is that I was to get an initial 90 day non-immigrant O visa, then extend here in Thailand. Not the only option, as it turns out.

When I got up to the counter (with my bride in tow) and asked for the 90 day non-immigrant O, the rather nice woman at the counter informed me that with the new visa rule changes came the option of getting a one year, multi-entry visa for $220 SGD (5200 baht or so). I asked her about this one year visa, and she said they started offering it recently as they wanted to make things easier (her words, not mine).

So I paid the fee - cash only in Singapore dollars, mind you - and off we went.

The documentation required:

Copy of wife's ID card

Copy of marriage certificate

My passport

Passport Photo - 2x4 cm

We were out of there by 10:05 a.m. and off to do some shopping and relax - Total time of 30 minutes in the queue, max two minutes in front of the window.

Returned to embassy the next day around 13:30 - bit of a queue at the gate, so we jump in. Right at 14:00, the gates open up - walked out at 14:05 with my passport in hand containging my spanking new, non-immigrant O multi-entry visa.

Upshot is, the overall experience was quite good. So if you're getting a "married man's visa" for the first time, I'd recommend Singapore based on my experience.

Some thoughts based on some things I witnessed there - "no brainers" really, but worth a mention IMO.

- Show up with the proper documentation - I was surprised that there were people in line without the required documentation. Embassy staff also seem to be more helpful if you show up well prepared.

- Dress smart - Singapore is one of the financial capitals of asia, and the embassy is right in the middle of shopping and biz district. Do not show up at the embassy looking like a backpacker or a "Pattaya Regular" - because everyone around you will be dressed far better than you, and as a result you will stand out like a sore thumb.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me with any direct questions.

Good info. Thanks so much

What were you required to show in terms of finances? Bank book? Copy of bank book? How much was required?

Thanks.

Hi all,

My wife and I just returned from Singapore today, where I got my very first non-immigrant O visa, good for one year (multi-entry). I had been doing border runs since January of this year.

Here's the straight scoop:

Visa applications are only accepted between 09:15 and 12:15 Mon-Fri, closed on Thai holidays.

Passport/visa pickup is the next day starting at 14:00 - pickup available until 16:30

Show up right at 09:00 and be in the front of the line. (we got there around 09:30 and were about 20th in the queue). Go inside the embassy, grab a visa application, and fill it out - very simple form. Then grab a queue number from the Q-o-matic and wait for your number to be called.

For the "married man's visa": my initial understanding (based on advice from Sunbelt) is that I was to get an initial 90 day non-immigrant O visa, then extend here in Thailand. Not the only option, as it turns out.

When I got up to the counter (with my bride in tow) and asked for the 90 day non-immigrant O, the rather nice woman at the counter informed me that with the new visa rule changes came the option of getting a one year, multi-entry visa for $220 SGD (5200 baht or so). I asked her about this one year visa, and she said they started offering it recently as they wanted to make things easier (her words, not mine).

So I paid the fee - cash only in Singapore dollars, mind you - and off we went.

The documentation required:

Copy of wife's ID card

Copy of marriage certificate

My passport

Passport Photo - 2x4 cm

We were out of there by 10:05 a.m. and off to do some shopping and relax - Total time of 30 minutes in the queue, max two minutes in front of the window.

Returned to embassy the next day around 13:30 - bit of a queue at the gate, so we jump in. Right at 14:00, the gates open up - walked out at 14:05 with my passport in hand containging my spanking new, non-immigrant O multi-entry visa.

Upshot is, the overall experience was quite good. So if you're getting a "married man's visa" for the first time, I'd recommend Singapore based on my experience.

Some thoughts based on some things I witnessed there - "no brainers" really, but worth a mention IMO.

- Show up with the proper documentation - I was surprised that there were people in line without the required documentation. Embassy staff also seem to be more helpful if you show up well prepared.

- Dress smart - Singapore is one of the financial capitals of asia, and the embassy is right in the middle of shopping and biz district. Do not show up at the embassy looking like a backpacker or a "Pattaya Regular" - because everyone around you will be dressed far better than you, and as a result you will stand out like a sore thumb.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me with any direct questions.

Nope - in fact, I handed over a ream of documentation - notarized (by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs) copies of my wife's ID, Marriage Certificate, in Thai and English.

Was told I only needed to show my wife's ID and the marriage certificate.

No mention was made of income requirement. It is my understanding - based on statements made by sunbelt staff on this forum - that the income requirement only applies when you go to extend your O visa, not to get it initially.

Of course, it would not hurt for you to bring any docs along just in case. I brought everything I could think of - and she only wanted to see copies of wife's ID and marriage cert.

Good info. Thanks so much

What were you required to show in terms of finances? Bank book? Copy of bank book? How much was required?

Thanks.

Shouldn't need evidence of monies when simply getting the 'O' visa. That comes when you go for the extension of stay in Muang Thai. :o

when exactly was this? reading of problems in penang on another forum, even when trying to get a single entry non imm o. so it sound like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Application submitted yesterday morning (10.10.06) and passport with visa picked up this aftrnoon (11.10.06) at 14:00.