Accessing router settings.

jack2964

I installed a cctv system recently and am trying to remotely view the cameras on my samsung phone but failed so far. Tried some Apps from Google play but they didn't work for me.

Further probing on the net requires that I change some settings on my TP-Link router but I can't access my router. When I type in my router's IP address into the browsers (both on google chrome and IE) I get screens as shown in my attached pics. I am with TOT Airnet.

Any ideas how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

post-128422-0-75898100-1449137672_thumb.

I see your router page. just need the default id and password (check your router manual or google it). Sometimes your provider changes the password and ID. They would of written it down somewere. I have to use the last 4 digits of my MAC address..and enter "password" . My other was just admin admin

The security certificate problem can just be accepted. You are accessing the router internally ...it's not a website way out there on the internet.

To access services (like CCTV streaming video) behind your Router/NAT/Firewall you normally need to either

1. open a 'hole' in the firewall (via manually entered Port Forwarding, or UPnP programmed Port Forward ), along with DDNS; or
  2. use a secondary method utilizing an outside service hosted on the vendor's server

AIS normally doesn't provide AIS AirNet end-users with admin access to their point-to-point communications routers, so you won't be able to access the system's webconfig settings to create a port forwards or enable UPnP and DDNS. You can always call then and ask them nicely, as they may be able to set these up if you give them the correct information (but I wouldn't put money on it).

Suggest reading your CCTV documentation so see if they provide alternative methods for accessing the stream when UPnP or Port Forwarding options are not available.

Thanks guys for your input.

I must admit I am hopeless with all these IT stuff.

Everything I have managed so far was by watching youtube vids and reading articles on the net.

I know my router's IP by typing ipconfig in a 'Cmd' screen. And from what I gather I only need to type the numbers into a browser and I should be taken to my Router's page but this hasn't happened. I can't even change my wifi password as it is.

I am intrigued by Slipperylobster's comment about being able to see my router's page. Can you please show me how you do that?

Thanks again.

You ARE looking at your router's page.

TOT AirOS is the webconfig login page. With most any router you need to provide USERNAME and PASSWORD login credentials before being allowed to fiddle with the settings.

Since you mis-named your Internet service "TOT AirNet" (sic) I used the term AIS AirNet in my previous post. Sorry, should have noticed from the login screen you provided that you're subscribed to "TOT WiNET" wireless broadband Internet Service, while AIS calls their competing service AIS AirNet.

With this types of "Wirelss Broadband Internet" service the 'router' is actually a integrated component of the Antenna/Radio/Router that's usually up on a pole pointed toward a nearby tower. Because it's integrated, TOT (or AIS) will usually NOT provide you with the login credentials to make settings changes. There is no delineation in the webconfig setup menu for ISP Network Operator settings vs Consumer User settings.

Also with this type of setup, TOT or AIS will provide you with a separate Router / WiFi Access Point to connect your wireless devices to the service (though the 'router' portion of the device has been 'disabled' since the WiNet (or AirNet) radio handles that function/feature. But you should be able to access this second device yourself if you ever need to tweak/change the WiFi Access Point settings.

So there you are. Still doesn't help you.

Ask TOT (not AIS) if they will provide you with the WiNet login credentials (Name/Pass) so you can set up port forward.

Some techs don't have a problem giving this to you, while others will say they can't (because it gives you access to the ISP settings). Just depends.

Pardon me! my apologies, yes I stuffed up with Winet/Airnet.

And many thanks for pointing out to me that what I am seeing is what I need. OK I got you, so my task now is to get a friendly TOT techie to reveal ID/p-word.

I am always amazed by many of you guys here who are all clued up with this kinda stuff...did you guys get formal training or picked all up along the way?

I also just installed a CCTV system and I didn't need to go into my router settings to do what you are trying to do - are you sure it's necessary? Did the DVR you bought not come with any instructions as to how to connect remotely? On mine, with the DVR connected to a TV and via a LAN cable to my router I had to use a mouse to open the settings on the DVR, followed instructions to locate and check a box that said "enable DHCP" and it then showed an IP address which i typed into a web browser on my laptop. I entered my DVR user name and password when requested and the images from the cameras began streaming on my laptop. I then had to open Internet Explorer and go to http://xmeye.net, followed a few instructions and then the images were streaming through the browser window. Worth noting that the instructions specifically told me to use Internet Explorer - I tried with Firefox and it wouldn't work. Once I could see the images via the web browser I then had to install a QR reader app on my Samsung phone, locate a QR code on the DVR menu settings, point my phone's camera at the QR code on the TV screen which installed another app on my phone. After that I clicked a few options as instructed, logged in with the DVR user name and password and the images started streaming on my phone.

I guess they all do things a bit differently but FWIW my DVR is an el cheapo Annke model that I bought on Lazada. It actually works pretty good for the price.

(As a sidenote: In fact I didn't install a complete system, I just installed a new DVR to use with the old cameras on account of the fact that when we were broken in to recently the old DVR for the CCTV was one of the items stolen. What do others here do to prevent that from happening? Chase the camera wires into the walls and hide the DVR, or is wireless the only way to go these days? I don't know why but it never really occurred to me that the DVR might get stolen if we had a break in - seems kinda obvious after the event however...)

I also just installed a CCTV system and I didn't need to go into my router settings to do what you are trying to do - are you sure it's necessary? Did the DVR you bought not come with any instructions as to how to connect remotely? On mine, with the DVR connected to a TV and via a LAN cable to my router I had to use a mouse to open the settings on the DVR, followed instructions to locate and check a box that said "enable DHCP" and it then showed an IP address which i typed into a web browser on my laptop. I entered my DVR user name and password when requested and the images from the cameras began streaming on my laptop. I then had to open Internet Explorer and go to http://xmeye.net, followed a few instructions and then the images were streaming through the browser window. Worth noting that the instructions specifically told me to use Internet Explorer - I tried with Firefox and it wouldn't work. Once I could see the images via the web browser I then had to install a QR reader app on my Samsung phone, locate a QR code on the DVR menu settings, point my phone's camera at the QR code on the TV screen which installed another app on my phone. After that I clicked a few options as instructed, logged in with the DVR user name and password and the images started streaming on my phone.

I guess they all do things a bit differently but FWIW my DVR is an el cheapo Annke model that I bought on Lazada. It actually works pretty good for the price.

(As a sidenote: In fact I didn't install a complete system, I just installed a new DVR to use with the old cameras on account of the fact that when we were broken in to recently the old DVR for the CCTV was one of the items stolen. What do others here do to prevent that from happening? Chase the camera wires into the walls and hide the DVR, or is wireless the only way to go these days? I don't know why but it never really occurred to me that the DVR might get stolen if we had a break in - seems kinda obvious after the event however...)

This sure beats what my owner's manual details. I think the original instructions were written in Chinese and then google translate was used to turn into english with the resultant gibberish.

My cctv was bought online from china and for the $ I think it does its job well enough. Right now I can view the cameras via my desktop PC using a LAN cable to my router but like you said it only works with IE and not Chrome nor Firefox even though I installed Java.

Sorry to hear about your break in obviously the thieves knew the HDD is inside your DVR so they carted it away as well. I hear one can store recordings in Cloud but I don't know how myself.

I am off to try out your method. Thanks for a comprehensive report.

jimmybkk is using the secondary method I wrote about to access his CCTV system. In his case, the DVR has special software to connect and constantly keep an open communications link to servers run by xmeye.net that allows the video streams to be directed to those servers where they then can be selected and viewed.

Your DVR would need to have similar special software on board, set to connect with either xmeye or some other outside 'server' to provide that service.

A Google Search for the model of your Chinese CCTV system might reveal other people with similar circumstanced finding alternative solutions.

jimmybkk is using the secondary method I wrote about to access his CCTV system. In his case, the DVR has special software to connect and constantly keep an open communications link to servers run by xmeye.net that allows the video streams to be directed to those servers where they then can be selected and viewed.

Your DVR would need to have similar special software on board, set to connect with either xmeye or some other outside 'server' to provide that service.

A Google Search for the model of your Chinese CCTV system might reveal other people with similar circumstanced finding alternative solutions.

I followed Jimmy's method and by enabling 'DHCP' mine didn't work. I had to disable DHCP and then manually assign an IP address for my DVR and then I could view my cameras using desktop PC with LAN cable connected. On my laptop I have to use IE and install something called Newactive.exe after which I can view the cams on it.

The Samsung phone needed exactly what you quoted: xmeye android app and I am all up and running. Thanks to all of you. Easy when you know how! 555

Archived