Greek capital brought to a standstill as workers strike against austerity

webfact

Greek capital brought to a standstill as workers strike against austerity

606x341_318281.jpg

ATHENS: -- Protesters marched through the streets of Athens on Thursday as over two-and-a-half-million workers took part in a general strike that has brought public services to a standstill.

The 24-hour walkout is in response to Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras’ acceptance of a new package of austerity measures by the country’s lenders, that includes a total overhaul of the social security and pension system.

“We say “no” to the new measures on social security as they aim to push the retirement age up to 67,” said one protester. “We’re fighting to save our salaries, we’re fighting for our children.”

The rallies were mostly peaceful, and trouble was confined to clashes between police and a small group of anarchists who towards the end of the march started to throw petrol bombs.

After almost ten months free from large scale protest it’s the second time in three weeks that workers have taken to the streets of Athens.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-04

Two and a half million workers? Heck, I didn't think that many in all of Greece worked. For sure there isn't that many that pay taxes.

A strike to demand Something for Nothing, the mind boggles. Who they think is paying for all this nonausterity?

Two and a half million workers? Heck, I didn't think that many in all of Greece worked. For sure there isn't that many that pay taxes.

A strike to demand Something for Nothing, the mind boggles. Who they think is paying for all this nonausterity?

Do the research (yeah, I know it's a pain and easier to go along with the mythology of the ignorant herd) and you will find that the biggest tax dodgers and spongers were the elite politicians and business tycoons.