Phuket on high alert as officials keep eye out for IS threats

rooster59

Phuket on high alert as officials keep eye out for IS threats

post-247607-0-28898100-1449302610_thumb.

PHUKET: Gov Chamroen Tipaypongtada held a meeting yesterday morning (Dec 4) with the Provincial police and Royal Navy Third to discuss how to keep the island safe after the memo, containing information about IS members entering Thailand (two in Phuket), was “leaked” to the media.

Officials from all three districts have been ordered to monitor security at all times.

Gov Chamroen said, “We will do our best to act with caution and seek help from local residents and tourists to keep an eye and ear out for us too. In this type of situation, we need to work as a team. We will add more CCTV in areas that need it.

“I don't want people to start panicking, but rather to stay alert and help with providing security in their community and help police officers when they can. International crime and terrorism is a problem in every country that these said members enter, especially within tourist destinations like Phuket.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-on-high-alert-as-officials-keep-eye-out-for-is-threats-55288.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-05

One article says Phuket on "high alert" while another article says "IS terrorists not found" in Thailand implying no reason to worry or be on "high alert".

Well, which is it? Is one supposed to believe immigration and police have gone through every record and every photo and scrutinized all passports for fakes for people entering the country over the last couple of months?

Wow, they are good!

Seems that the IS extremism has no bounds about who where or when they will attack.

Hard to imagine the mentality behind it.

If its easy to enter LOS on fake passports to do dastardly deeds, exiting Thailand would be harder after the event/s so the suicide alternative becomes a real option.

Again, their ideology knows no bounds and any concerns that they have already entered should surely be taken seriously, not cynically?.

Edited by Jing Joe

Wow....

Yesterday the cops in Patong were on High Alert.

They stopped every Chinese, white guy for their license.

And me, because someone stole my front license plate of my car.....

The cop stated the police report I made out 1 month ago had expired. I'm still waiting for the replacement.

I go to the Patong police station, to be told the cop on the street was wrong, stupid, not getting money for false information.

Either way, it's payday for the cops who are enforcing this terrorist threat.....

As this is a matter of importance the Governor explained his strategy and said:

"Please do not turn off your cell phones and remember to keep them adequately charged......OK.

"For now that will do so this meeting is over"....

"Thanks for coming"

Cheers

Wow....

Yesterday the cops in Patong were on High Alert.

They stopped every Chinese, white guy for their license.

And me, because someone stole my front license plate of my car.....

The cop stated the police report I made out 1 month ago had expired. I'm still waiting for the replacement.

I go to the Patong police station, to be told the cop on the street was wrong, stupid, not getting money for false information.

Either way, it's payday for the cops who are enforcing this terrorist threat.....

A street cop tried it on, you didn't stand up for your self and what you knew to be correct. I'm sorry but you failed on this point, you should have stood your ground.

Mafia bikeys wanted for shootings and other ill deeds can enter thailand easily, so why not ISIS probably sucking on bongs at soi 3/5 Sukhomvit.

Probably true....A little leisure time mixed in with the work they are attempting to perform...

Sort of like a business / leisure trip for them.

Cheers

It's all good and well to say this is what is happening. My observations at BKK, at least, is that if you're a young, well built Russian or Ukrainian guy travelling alone the only harassment they appear to experience is the local ladies posted on bag screening duties all but handing over their phone numbers and holding up the queue of travellers in order to do so. Best of luck with that!?

Think clearly here people, if this is spin and utter BS created by the government or whoever, why? What would the government benefit from proposing ISIS is targeting tourist hotspots? They stand to lose gain by this

The Prayut regime gains propaganda and hold on power.

Juntas typically come to power for reasons of national security and remain in power for same reason. As long as either internal or external threats might be perceived, a junta will justify a delay in return to democracy. After all, who is best to protect Thailand from terrorists than an army General prime minister who is also chief of the junta?

Think clearly here people, if this is spin and utter BS created by the government or whoever, why? What would the government benefit from proposing ISIS is targeting tourist hotspots? They stand to lose gain by this

Juntas typically come to power for reasons of national security and remain in power for same reason. As long as either internal or external threats might be perceived, a junta will justify a delay in return to democracy. After all, who is best to protect Thailand from terrorists than an army General prime minister who is also chief of the junta?

Oh good, we've not had a conspiracy theory from an American in what, two days! I'll get the popcorn.

I guess a such well organized terrorism attacks that we hear almost daily, bombimg in Paris, shoting in the USA, and before the blasting of the Russian plane etc.. as such strong devil mind must be XXX-extra smart minds to bypass the CIA, and dozens of similar agencies!!

Do really those strayed vagabong dogs idiot <deleted> call themselves ISIS are so smart to threat west, east and everywhere and keep countries in alert??

or there some dirty hands behind the scene? or anyone can blast, or kill or attack anywhere and just say ISIS member?

Yeah.. the vagabond staryed dogs are most like ghosty agency, so as long as the ISIS promoted as big title and showing some idiot ignorant junky guys in front and to be counted on Islam,, so this big propaganda main target is just to involve Islam and Muslim in such bad image,,

40 or 50 years later, some of you probaly still alivem you will hear the real story of what is going on these days,

you will hear and know, but that day everything gone and passed and many of you swallowed the bait already !!!

Mafia bikeys wanted for shootings and other ill deeds can enter thailand easily, so why not ISIS probably sucking on bongs at soi 3/5 Sukhomvit.

where they go for the big meeting ? looks like they are sitting on madam's pokoo's whxre house furniture in her waiting room ..........

Edited by mikiea

I think the terrorist threat is very high In Thailand at the moment. It's not a secret that there are many Russians spending holidays in Thailand. Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket are the big targets. Russia has upset lots of big players in the middle east. Just disrupting the oil trade between Turkey and IS is a really big deal. Big money is involved and I think the future looks worrisome at this stage.

Edited by Thunder26

This has to be one of the weakest statements I have ever read from a Thai official ?

"Gov Chamroen said, “We will do our best to act with caution and seek help from local residents and tourists to keep an eye and ear out for us too. In this type of situation, we need to work as a team. We will add more CCTV in areas that need it.

“I don't want people to start panicking, but rather to stay alert and help with providing security in their community and help police officers when they can. International crime and terrorism is a problem in every country that these said members enter, especially within tourist destinations like Phuket."

How about explaining to the Thai people, and others, what to look for ?

How about giving all of us a phone number to call, that will be answered immediately if we suspect a problem ?

Tell us where we should be looking ?

They're here. No they're not. We know they're here. No, there's no such thing. We're on high alert now. Thailand oh Thailand. When will the left hand know what the right hand is doing? And when will you wise up, take things seriously, and stop being the subject of jokes? Again I say this - in a culture big on 'saving face', you guys are really doing a swell job at ripping it off. Without outside help too!

Another good reason NOT to go to Phuket, not that I needed one....

For post #12 another good reason NOT to go to the Phuket Forum, not that you needed one.

@kiwikeith

"Mafia bikeys wanted for shootings and other ill deeds can enter thailand easily, so why not ISIS probably sucking on bongs at soi 3/5 Sukhomvit."

They sure make a mean 60thb swarma there down from Gullivers,where it's probably the safest place to be !

Why shouldn't the treat be real, I for one have got the info through my embassy but as pr last week they so far see no reason to warn people about travelling here. Maybe Prayut could gain propaganda but his Government and people are already loosing millions pr. day due to the Bangkok bombing.

This has to be one of the weakest statements I have ever read from a Thai official ?

"Gov Chamroen said, “We will do our best to act with caution and seek help from local residents and tourists to keep an eye and ear out for us too. In this type of situation, we need to work as a team. We will add more CCTV in areas that need it.

“I don't want people to start panicking, but rather to stay alert and help with providing security in their community and help police officers when they can. International crime and terrorism is a problem in every country that these said members enter, especially within tourist destinations like Phuket."

How about explaining to the Thai people, and others, what to look for ?

How about giving all of us a phone number to call, that will be answered immediately if we suspect a problem ?

Tell us where we should be looking ?

I know of no CCTV system, in the world, that has STOPPED a terrorist attack, but here they "say", as they have on many occasions, they will add more. It seems this statement is just another "throw away" comment, meant to appease everyone. It certainly hasn't stopped any violence on Phuket or made any safer the so called "safety" zones.