Prisoner’s pardon received one month after her death

geovalin

Prisoner’s pardon fails to outpace her death
Mon, 7 December 2015

A Vietnamese woman imprisoned on child sex trafficking charges in 2009 received a humanitarian royal pardon last month, but only after she had been dead for more than a month, the rights NGO Licadho said yesterday.

The group said that in February it submitted a letter requesting a royal pardon for Ty Kemhoeung on the basis that she was in the final stages of terminal breast cancer. But Licadho reportedly received no response before learning of her death in prison in Phnom Penh in October.

Last week, investigators from the group finally obtained a copy of a royal decree, dated November 16 and issued following a request by Prime Minister Hun Sen, that confirmed the decision to pardon Kemhoeung.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/prisoners-pardon-fails-outpace-her-death

I don't know the whole story of this, but on the face of it, my feelings would be that no one convicted of child sex trafficking should ever be pardoned, for any reason. Haven't these NGO's got anything better to do?

Charities and NGOs are rife with child sex abusers. I know this might sound a bit odd, but it's not a comment made in ignorance. I suppose we don't know what they're meaning by child in this case, but as you'll probably be aware, Cambodia's where people go to get actual, little children. To cheer you up after that horrible comment of mine, I am told, by a reliable source that they actually have a very successful NGO operating there who catches lots of them:

http://aplecambodia.org/

They come highly recommended. Unfortunately, if you look their site up, a lot of the convictees end up getting one year sentences as they manage to bribe the judiciary, but I suspect it does a lot of good, getting them on the radar, as they're a network who liaise across SEA, so when they pop up next, they're being watched and the second they go near any children they're being watched 24/7. Hopefully that cheers you up a bit.