Chinese Tourist Dies After Being Hit by Songtaew in Chiang Mai

webfact

Chinese Tourist Dies After Being Hit by Songtaew
by CityNews

chinese-tourist-hit-1024x576.jpg

CityNews – An elderly Chinese tourist was hit by a songthaew while crossing the road on a green light at the Nong Ho intersection, becoming caught under the vehicle and later died at the scene.

On December 5th, rescue services were called to the scene and spent over 30 minutes retrieving the woman from under the vehicle, who became trapped under the vehicle.

The songthaew was driven by 48-year-old Niwet Thordjai. He was still shocked by the incident by the time police arrived at the scene.

According to initial investigations, the elderly Chinese woman had travelled to Chiang Mai with her six Chinese friends and stayed in a hotel, close to the scene.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/chinese-tourist-dies-after-being-hit-by-songtaew/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2015-12-07

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so sorry for the Chinese lady,RIP,but can some one explain to me why the Chinese have no road sense at all,they seem to have no fear of the traffic,and will walk just about anywere in the road and cross at any time,with out looking,i gave a lift to a thai lady yesterday,and she could not belive the risk the tourists were taking.crossing nimman road.but its not only there,and I no from experience thai motorists,hate stopping for any thing.especially pedestrians.

I am truly sorry to read about this and RIP to the lady.

At the same time, I myself feel very fortunate that I have not hit a Chinese tourist whilst driving in the north. I cannot count how many times I have encountered them walking down the middle of a road at night, or inexplicably having stopped their Honda Dreams directly on the pavement along a blind curve to capture some urgent selfies.

Looked the wrong way, I would bet.

When I first got to Chiang Mai... back in Feb 2013..... coming from a country where they drive on the right... I made it a point to look BOTH ways when crossing.... . until I got used to people driving on the other side of the road.

But still... one day... crossing with the green light from Malin Plaza on Huay Kaew Road to go to the 7/11.... a guy in a truck blasted right through the red light.. and almost hit me.... At his speed... I'm sure I would have been killed, or in the hospital for months..

You have to always be aware and looking... looking.. It sometimes seems that the traffic laws.. .are only traffic suggestions...

When living in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area of Thailand for the next four months... .. and riding around on Tuk Tuks and Song Taews for the first time... the words "organized chaos" came to mind to describe the traffic and the way people drive there...

Always be aware.... always watch carefully... .

Looked the wrong way, I would bet.

When I first got to Chiang Mai... back in Feb 2013..... coming from a country where they drive on the right... I made it a point to look BOTH ways when crossing.... . until I got used to people driving on the other side of the road.

But still... one day... crossing with the green light from Malin Plaza on Huay Kaew Road to go to the 7/11.... a guy in a truck blasted right through the red light.. and almost hit me.... At his speed... I'm sure I would have been killed, or in the hospital for months..

You have to always be aware and looking... looking.. It sometimes seems that the traffic laws.. .are only traffic suggestions...

When living in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area of Thailand for the next four months... .. and riding around on Tuk Tuks and Song Taews for the first time... the words "organized chaos" came to mind to describe the traffic and the way people drive there...

Always be aware.... always watch carefully... .

Been here full time since 1998. I still look BOTH ways before stepping into the road T.I.T thumbsup.gif

Actually, I'm surprised that it hasn't happened, multiple times, already.

You know where is Nong Ho intersection ? Is it in the city ?

Nong Ho intersection is close to the Resorts Condominium where that busy road intersects with the multiple lane Canal road. Crossing Canal road is tricky at the best of times and doubly so at night. The full article makes clear that the green light the woman was crossing with was not green in the direction she was going rather it was green for vehicles traveling in the direction she was crossing. In other words, she stepped out in traffic.

Also agree that being a pedestrian in Chiang Mai, which I am often, requires constant vigilance and giving way to traffic.

RIP

Actually, I'm surprised that it hasn't happened, multiple times, already.

You know where is Nong Ho intersection ? Is it in the city ?

Nong Ho intersection is close to the Resorts Condominium where that busy road intersects with the multiple lane Canal road. Crossing Canal road is tricky at the best of times and doubly so at night. The full article makes clear that the green light the woman was crossing with was not green in the direction she was going rather it was green for vehicles traveling in the direction she was crossing. In other words, she stepped out in traffic.

Also agree that being a pedestrian in Chiang Mai, which I am often, requires constant vigilance and giving way to traffic.

RIP

Roads do have names & numbers here. I've no idea where Resorts Condo is & I'm not going to google. But "busy road" & "multiple lane canal road" is very specific.....

Edited by MESmith

I have yet to come across a single pedestrian crossing in CM that has automated lights that permit a pedestrian to safely cross the road.

Outside the school in Huay Keow Road.

Look for yourself.

And at Chiang Mai gate traffic lights and further down the moat road by the hospital. On both sides. Talk about providing false information.

A very dangerous crossing in CM is on the zebra path front of Kad Suan Kaew. Have seen 4 accidents and attendant

ambulances in 2 weeks,

and been told by a store-owner across the road, that, in the past 14 years, 10 have died there.

Might have that backward; maybe 14 in 10 years, but you get the picture.

He keeps first aid supplies handy, and does not even look up to see the body flying when he hears a "whack";

just whips out his phone and calls for medical assistance. Good Thai man.

There are one or two lights on Huay Kaew Road between Nimman and the moat, and apparently authorities do not want to

further interfere with traffic any more than that.

Bangkok taught me not to cross at zebras. Seem to be a signal for speeding up. Yet I do cross there if I think i have a

chance. Oftentimes at least one tuk-tuk is parked at the zebra,there, obstructing the pedestrians' view from the Nimman

direction.

Interesting, too, is that crosing the zebra toward KSK, one arrives at the motor exit of KSK and deparing moto-sai.

Just reporting in the hope that the problem will be alleviated and---that I stay alert