Work For Thai Girlfriend In Bangkok

pedro01

So as it turns out I took my gf to the prakhanong I english center to sign up for the Mattayom 3 but they were able to confirm what I had anyway suspected, she is really functionally illiterate. She does not have a good enough grasp of Thai to be able to read and write at the level needed to complete the course.

I can't imagine not be able to read or write properly :D

Give her all the help she need's to learn Thai, and good on you :o

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

yes i agree. i chatted with a few others and everyone, incl me, thinks that learning her own language to a higher degree should preceed any real extensive english study.

i have found a guy that teaches english out of his home on soi 23, he is a thai man that seems to have a good thing going - not sure how effective his classes are - any comments please let me know, the entrance is in an alley down 23 right where there is an ice cream shop, forget the name but they have a large purple sign - maybe it starts with a 'B". he is popular with the bg set, esp the soi cowboy girls - of which mine is one.

anyway i am takling her to see him today as he says he would be able to give her remedial classes, he wants to see her to assess her needs. i would like to find out if anyone knows how effective he is or if anyone KNOWS OF OTHER PLACES WHERE SHE MIGHT GET THIS TEACHING DONE. sorry wanted to use caps to try and get readers attention in case anyone knows.

later

So as it turns out I took my gf to the prakhanong I english center to sign up for the Mattayom 3 but they were able to confirm what I had anyway suspected, she is really functionally illiterate. She does not have a good enough grasp of Thai to be able to read and write at the level needed to complete the course.

RAZZ

ooops last post ws actually by me, posted it incorrectly, here is a repeat

yes i agree. i chatted with a few others and everyone, incl me, thinks that learning her own language to a higher degree should preceed any real extensive english study.

i have found a guy that teaches english out of his home on soi 23, he is a thai man that seems to have a good thing going - not sure how effective his classes are - any comments please let me know, the entrance is in an alley down 23 right where there is an ice cream shop, forget the name but they have a large purple sign - maybe it starts with a 'B". he is popular with the bg set, esp the soi cowboy girls - of which mine is one.

anyway i am takling her to see him today as he says he would be able to give her remedial classes, he wants to see her to assess her needs. i would like to find out if anyone knows how effective he is or if anyone KNOWS OF OTHER PLACES WHERE SHE MIGHT GET THIS TEACHING DONE. sorry wanted to use caps to try and get readers attention in case anyone knows.

later

later

RAZZ

Hi

My Thai girlfriend reckons she wants to start working again. She left school at 16, and so far has worked on building sites, as a nanny and in a shoe shop.

She's looking because she's bored mostly - she speaks good English.

Anyway - we are looking at unskilled work obviously - any idea where a good place to start looking is ?

Agencies, local newspapers etc...

Any thoughts ?

Pedro

The incomplete schooling is going to create a lasting barrier to her opportunities. If you have the means, you might consider getting her through school then into a vocational training program.

OK - that's a very good point. How exactly would one approach this ? I mean, would she have to go to back school with a bunch of 16 year olds ? Are there any special programmes for people in this situation ? Night school etc ? Is there any way to kind of 'fast-track' this ?

It's certainly worth considering for sure.

Would she be interested in going to hair dresser school? I know someone who is going that route who has a similar background. Its not that expensive either.

Good luck

If she's worked as a nanny before and enjoys this type of work AND can speak English, then she would most likely be able to earn more money doing a job like this than by doing high school education and then trying to find a job. If she wants further education she should do it for herself and her own betterment rather than to find a job. Most decent jobs require a degree so she would need to study for a long time to be able to get something really good.

To find a job as a nanny she could try the Bambi website (if it's up and running again) and checking the classifieds, look in the family forum of Thaivisa (I think there are posts at the moment from people looking for a nanny), put up an ad or read the ads at Villa (not sure if the sukhumvit one currently allows this but nichada should) and try and make her name known in an international community (e.g. an international school). Good maids and nannies are always wanted. If she's not keen on working for a family, she could also apply for a job or send her CV to some preschools or international schools (send on spec, don't wait to see the job adverstised). My school employs nannies in the Early Years - they assist in the classrooms but with less responsibility than the teacher assistants. It is possible for nannies to move up to being a TA if they show they have the skills and ability to work as an assistant but for this she probably would need to improve her education. PM me if you would like more info.