Need new wireless card for Dell Latitude E5500

Blackfish64

The Broadcom/proprietary nonsense has got to go. Every time I try a new Linux distro, and I try a ton of them, I have to go through the pain of making the Broadcom wireless card work with it--if I can even get the job done!

Looking for a non-proprietary wireless card so I can use Linux with much less effort and baloney.

Though I must admit, once the Broadcom is up and running it is good stuff.

Anyone? Again, non-proprietary wireless card for Dell Latitude E5500. Intel Core Duo.

Thanks!

I would highly recommend the Intel models.

And the card I couldn't remember is the AR9485WB-EG.

Still looking...

Would you happen to know where I could get one?

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/wireless-networking/intel/
All three shown appear to have Bluetooth. I suppose that won't matter?

Nope.

I never use it and just disable that to save power.

10-4. Thanks a million. The least expensive one looks best to me. I never use Bluetooth anyway. I assume they ship to Thailand.

Oh, duh. This is in Thailand. Small device. Too hard to read the links.

No problem. The company is in Hua Hin and a forum sponsor. Really good people there.

10-4. Thanks a million. The least expensive one looks best to me. I never use Bluetooth anyway. I assume they ship to Thailand.

No problem. The company is in Hua Hin and a forum sponsor. Really good people there.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Found what I was looking for and it's shipped already. So far so good with this outfit. I never knew they existed.

Thank you!
Found what I was looking for and it's shipped already. So far so good with this outfit. I never knew they existed.
Glad to hear; the one caveat I neglected to mention would be a possible BIOS whitelist. My forementioned Lenovo has one and I would need to download a cracked BIOS to get around it. Looking around the Web it seems that Dell didn't institute it on your model...

**edit**

speeling

Thank you!
Glad to hear; the one caveat I neglected to mention would be a possible BIOS whitelist. My forementioned Lenovo has one and I would need to download a cracked BIOS to get around it. Looking around the Web it seems that Dell didn't institute it on your model...

**edit**

speeling

I did quite a bit of research on this before buying. I didn't stumble on anything like that in anything I read. First I have heard of it. Hopefully will be OK.

I bought the least expensive card they had in case this turns out for any reason to be not such a good idea. If Intel parts solve all my Linux problems I'll think about an upgrade, if necessary.

Archived