Obtaining Thai drivers licence-car&MC,Nakhon Sri province

ACam

Hi All,,

there are other threads on TV regarding licences etc,, but all seem to be Bangkok or Pattaya based info.

However,, does anyone actually have first hand experience with obtaining DL in Nakhon sri Thammarat province??

Any advice or suggestions regarding requirements,waiting time or any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerssmile.png

It all sounds quite painful If you live in Pattaya, Phuket or BKK.

I don't know about NST but I'm sure its not that different to Songkhla, where it's ( was 14 months ago ) a matter of rocking up at 8.30 and waiting around until 9.00 ( or 8.00 for 8.30 ). No need to book an appointment or wait 3 months.

You need to take a certificate of residence and a 50B doctors note to declare your fitness to drive ( the quack just asked me if I was feeling OK ).

Hope someone from NST can advise you further.

Edited by recom273

Someone from Phuket just asked about getting a DL on Samui, where it takes one day, (unless things have really changed) .... but your drivers licence includes your address and a letter from Immigration is needed to verify such ....

Me thinks it won't be possible.... wink.png

Someone from Phuket just asked about getting a DL on Samui, where it takes one day, (unless things have really changed) .... but your drivers licence includes your address and a letter from Immigration is needed to verify such ....

Me thinks it won't be possible.... wink.png

I think this guy must be from NST looking to do the test in NST.

Are there any rules that say you have to do the test at your local DLT.

My local office doesn't do the test, there is no track - but they have a video room along with the colour / reaction test. So you can renew at the satellite, all centers seem to be linked to a central computer.

However, this being Thailand, I'm sure there is some small rule that can be made up to prevent people from doing something logical - over crowded there, move the traffic to a center that's under used.

Edited by recom273

I did it recently in NST - Sichon to be specific. I didn't have an international driving licence so had to do a full test.

Requirements:

- Certificate of residence from Immigration (has it's own requirements, i think 2x passport, tm30 receipt, copy of visa page, passport photos)

- Doctors letter stating healthy

- Copy of passport, I just get the whole thing copied every time - can't remember which bits they wanted

If you want car and bike, get 2x all the above

Pretty sure that was it..

Take the lot to the DLT office, they will check them over and issue you with a date to attend (was about 10 days for me)

Go on the day given to you in the morning, do an eyesight, reaction and depth perception test. Sit through 3 hours of videos. Do practical tests. It's a 9am - 3pm job.

If you fail the practical I believe you can try again the next day - might be wrong, i passed them both.

Next day, attend again and do the theory test (have to do it twice if you want car and motorbike - literally same questions) - couple of hours. Practice the theory test here - http://thaidriving.info/

If you have passed both, they will take your photo and issue you with a 1 year temp licence on the same day.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Ok .. It's a 3 day wait.

Have their always been waiting lists ? - in Songkhla it's a matter of ( and always has been a matter ) of just turning up, I guess it's the number of consoles available. The locals spend upto an hour per multiple question exam studying each question intently.

I did it recently in NST - Sichon to be specific. I didn't have an international driving licence so had to do a full test.

Requirements:

- Certificate of residence from Immigration (has it's own requirements, i think 2x passport, tm30 receipt, copy of visa page, passport photos)

- Doctors letter stating healthy

- Copy of passport, I just get the whole thing copied every time - can't remember which bits they wanted

If you want car and bike, get 2x all the above

Pretty sure that was it..

Take the lot to the DLT office, they will check them over and issue you with a date to attend (was about 10 days for me)

Go on the day given to you in the morning, do an eyesight, reaction and depth perception test. Sit through 3 hours of videos. Do practical tests. It's a 9am - 3pm job.

If you fail the practical I believe you can try again the next day - might be wrong, i passed them both.

Next day, attend again and do the theory test (have to do it twice if you want car and motorbike - literally same questions) - couple of hours. Practice the theory test here - http://thaidriving.info/

If you have passed both, they will take your photo and issue you with a 1 year temp licence on the same day.

Thank you so much,,that is excellent and valued information.....will get organised and start the proccess...thanks again