Israeli troops accused of shooting dead Palestinian protester in Bethlehem

webfact

Israeli troops accused of shooting dead Palestinian protester in Bethlehem

606x341_318555.jpg

BETHLEHEM: -- Israeli troops have shot dead a Palestinian protester in the West Bank town of Bethlehem, according to Palestinian medical sources.

The 19-year-old is said to have been among a group of people demonstrating against the soldiers, who had arrived to arrest two men – both of whom were reportedly apprehended.

The Israeli military said violence erupted during “routine activity” when its troops encountered a barrage of “pipe bombs, molotov cocktails and rolling burning tyres and fired warning shots in the air to disperse the mob and prevent an escalation.”

In a second arrest raid on Tuesday, Israeli troops detained a Palestinian in the West Bank town of Ramallah in connection with a stabbing incident in October, the military said.

Violent incidents have become a daily occurrence in the West Bank, Israel and Jerusalem in the past two months, as an increasing number of Jews visit East Jerusalem’s al-Aqsa mosque compound – Islam’s third holiest site, which is also revered by Jews as the location of two destroyed biblical-era temples.

Since 1 October, Israeli forces have killed 105 Palestinians, 65 of whom Israel says were assailants or had been caught on camera carrying out assaults. Most of the others were killed in clashes with police or troops.

One US citizen and 19 Israelis have been killed in Palestinian attacks.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-09

"The Israeli military said violence erupted during “routine activity” when its troops encountered a barrage of “pipe bombs, molotov cocktails and rolling burning tyres and fired warning shots in the air to disperse the mob and prevent an escalation.”

Lesson learned: Do not get involved in terrorism or mob violence.

Honestly, I just can't seem to figure out why Western countries are so gung-ho to support Israel.

The only democracy in the Mid East with a similar culture to ours, a successful economy and an extraordinary military. Western countries like to back winners.

Also, one of their main enemies is radical Islam - just like us.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Honestly, I just can't seem to figure out why Western countries are so gung-ho to support Israel.

The only democracy in the Mid East with a similar culture to ours, a successful economy and an extraordinary military. Western countries like to back winners.

A democracy in name only. Even the USA does not carry out human and civil rights violations to the extent that Israel does with impunity.

A democracy in name only. Even the USA does not carry out human and civil rights violations to the extent that Israel does with impunity.

Spoken like a true believer in the existence of one-size-fits all democracy. But since "even the USA" doesn't seem to be good enough for your standards, perhaps you could enlighten the forum as to which democratic role-model should Israel follow?

If Israel is a so called democracy, all the more reason it should behave in a more enlightened manner
But, modern democracies do not steal the land and occupy 4.5 million of its neigbors in defiance of UN resolutions and the Geneva Convention, subjecting them to apartheid conditions, collective punishment and daily humiliations, beatings and murders.
Modern democracies do not imprison 420 children and propose lowering the age of imprisonment to 12 years old, or hold prsoners indefinitely without trial
Modern democracies do not use live ammunition against stone throwing children.
Google images: Palestinian children killed. Modern democracies do not kill children.
Israel, end your occupation and start behaving like civilized human beings. Make killings such as the OP a dark footnote of your history.
Edited by dexterm

If Israel is a so called democracy, all the more reason it should behave in a more enlightened manner
But, modern democracies do not steal the land and occupy 4.5 million of its neigbors in defiance of UN resolutions and the Geneva Convention, subjecting them to apartheid conditions, collective punishment and daily humiliations, beatings and murders.
Modern democracies do not imprison 420 children and propose lowering the age of imprisonment to 12 years old, or hold prsoners indefinitely without trial
Google images: Palestinian children killed. Modern democracies do not kill children.
Israel, end your occupation and start behaving like civilized human beings. Make killings such as the OP a dark footnote of your history.

Because all democracies are cut to the same size and shape? All exist under the same conditions?

Why insist on comparing Israel with the supposedly most democratic countries on the globe?

Because all democracies are cut to the same size and shape? All exist under the same conditions?

Why insist on comparing Israel with the supposedly most democratic countries on the globe?

I insist on comparing Israel to most democracies in the world, because the poster I was replying to did so, as well all Israeli apologists on this forum, most US and EU politicians who defend Israel, and Netanyahu himself makes the same claim...which for the reasons I gave above [and more] is patently false.
Edited by dexterm

I insist on comparing Israel to most democracies in the world, because the poster I was replying to did so, as well all Israeli apologists on this forum, most US and EU politicians who defend Israel, and Netanyahu himself makes the same claim...which for the reasons I gave above [and more] is patently false.

Well, since I'm not making this claim (and neither do all those who oppose your views on these matters), how's about responding to a realistic position rather than one which is clearly wrong?

I do not think that Israel's democracy is perfect, or even coming close. But then again, it does not exist under the same conditions as found in more progressive countries. There are different levels of democracy, and there are different forms in which democracy is practiced. The question is less if Israel's version can fully match up to Western ideals, and more if it retains enough essential elements which are associated with having a democratic system.

Saying that Israel is a democracy, is not quite the same as equating it with well-established peaceful progressive democracies in the West.

Sorry thread full...

Morch wrote...

"Well, since I'm not making this claim (and neither do all those who oppose your views on these matters), how's about responding to a realistic position rather than one which is clearly wrong?

I do not think that Israel's democracy is perfect, or even coming close. But then again, it does not exist under the same conditions as found in more progressive countries. There are different levels of democracy, and there are different forms in which democracy is practiced. The question is less if Israel's version can fully match up to Western ideals, and more if it retains enough essential elements which are associated with having a democratic system.

Saying that Israel is a democracy, is not quite the same as equating it with well-established peaceful progressive democracies in the West."

Your 2nd paragraph is the usual fence sitting act designed to obfuscate.

I would suggest that Israeli apologists and Israeli politicians stop using the phrase "the only democracy in the Middle East" if they don't actually mean what most intelligent people understand it to mean, and what they are clearly implying when they use it.

Sorry thread full...
Morch wrote...
"Well, since I'm not making this claim (and neither do all those who oppose your views on these matters), how's about responding to a realistic position rather than one which is clearly wrong?
Saying that Israel is a democracy, is not quite the same as equating it with well-established peaceful progressive democracies in the West."
I would suggest that Israeli apologists and Israeli politicians stop using the phrase "the only democracy in the Middle East" if they don't actually mean what most intelligent people understand it to mean, and what they are clearly implying when they use it.

So basically, you re-affirm your adherence to a simplified either/or world view. Any opinion needs to be firmly entrenched in whatever side. As for obfuscation, I'm not the one dealing slogans and then running away from discussing how they fare in reality.

I don't think I actually ever said Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, but once again, you insist on addressing someone else's views,

Spoken like a true believer in the existence of one-size-fits all democracy. But since "even the USA" doesn't seem to be good enough for your standards, perhaps you could enlighten the forum as to which democratic role-model should Israel follow?

Perhaps Switzerland during the period of 1914-1945.

They were surrounded by hostile countries, yet managed to maintain their territorial integrity and way of life without becoming a police state and descending into savage barbarity.

Gotta be money at bottom, and maybe fundamentalist Xian nutjobs.

Last time i checked Palestinians have been sucking Western tit for a few decades now with very little to show for it

Perhaps Switzerland during the period of 1914-1945.

They were surrounded by hostile countries, yet managed to maintain their territorial integrity and way of life without becoming a police state and descending into savage barbarity.

Hostile how? Were there open wars waged between Switzerland and its neighbors during those years?

Switzerland declared itself neutral with regard to the conflicts between other European powers, it was not an involved party.

Also, wasn't Switzerland one of the last bastions withholding voting rights from women?

Last time i checked Palestinians have been sucking Western tit for a few decades now with very little to show for it

You can thank israel for that, whilst they are sucking on the other tit.

Sorry thread full...

Morch wrote...

So basically, you re-affirm your adherence to a simplified either/or world view. Any opinion needs to be firmly entrenched in whatever side. As for obfuscation, I'm not the one dealing slogans and then running away from discussing how they fare in reality.

I don't think I actually ever said Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, but once again, you insist on addressing someone else's views,

No one said you did say they are the only democracy. But another poster did say that and used it to try and elevate israels standing as superior to others.

I think they've been working a little farther south as well.

Did not expect anything better from YOU, anyone else with common sense might disagreecoffee1.gif

Israel has a self-sufficient economy. The Palestinians live on table scraps from their enemies.