Resize Pics On Xp

gburns57au

I have taken pics on a 5.1 mp digital cam and saved them to my HD....trouble is each pic is about 1mb in size.....how do I resize them to a managable size for e mailing etc....I will look at resizing when uploading from the cam next time if that is possible.

Try going into My Pictures, select the image, click on edit pictures (top centre of screen) and then compress pictures (right of screen, last option).. and hey presto, choose your preferred option! Save and then upload to email as normal.

I hope this helps..

You may also want to check the size / quality settings on your camera.

1MB pictures from a 5 meg camera are somewhat small, my D60 (5 megs) yields jpegs of about 2.5-4 megs depending upon content.

ALWAYS shoot highest resolution / quality, you can always resample for emailing :o

I have taken pics on a 5.1 mp digital cam and saved them to my HD....trouble is each pic is about 1mb in size.....how do I resize them to a managable size for e mailing etc....I will look at resizing when uploading from the cam next time if that is possible.

First option , get Adobe Photoshop CS2. If this seems too complicated , which it may well do :D

Acdsee is simple to use.

Probably similar to Faststone.

Crossy is right , always shoot at the highest quality and alter after.

Using a D2x in TIFF means I'm buying lots of Hard Discs :o

Cheers

1MB pictures from a 5 meg camera are somewhat small, my D60 (5 megs) yields jpegs of about 2.5-4 megs depending upon content.

ALWAYS shoot highest resolution / quality, you can always resample for emailing :o

you are right....I must have had the largest setting...I just checked it out and the lowest setting gives me a manageable size pic of about 40kb....

Thanks for all the replies...it is my first digital cam so I am still working it out.

Still cant resize the ones on my hard drive though...tried all the help topics...never mind...they arent important pics.

you are right....I must have had the largest setting...I just checked it out and the lowest setting gives me a manageable size pic of about 40kb....

Thanks for all the replies...it is my first digital cam so I am still working it out.

Still cant resize the ones on my hard drive though...tried all the help topics...never mind...they arent important pics.

The quickest and esiest way is this. The photo you have on your hard drive right click. In the box that opens you should see OPEN WITH. Move your mouse over this. You should then have the option of opening with Microsoft Picture editor or similar. Choose this by clicking it. Simply click edit or image tab depending on which version you have, this should be visible at the top. This should give you options of down sizeing for email or web images. Make sure you then save and rename that picture to the location you want. On some microsoft software you can down size the image manually by reducing the percentage, this way is a little fidly.

Edited by ltdknowledge

Thanks Tywais.....just done this and it took seconds to achieve the desired result....so thanks for the tip....havent explored it fully but it looks pretty good so far.

Thanks to all who have replied and thanks to those who sent PM's....much appreciated to all

FastStone Image Viewer is an excellant image viewing/editing program. It has a choice of sending image by e-mail and allows you to select the size you want it to be before sending. It's free also. Also for free on the same page is FastStone Image Resizer.

http://www.faststone.org/

Edited by gburns57au