Is there any point to buying a large sports tourer here?

Briggsy

Referring to Kawasaki GTR 1400, VFR 1200 F, FJR 1300, GSX 1250 etc.

Not referring to the bikes with big suspension, V-Strom, Super Tenere, Cross Tourer, BMW R1200 GS, the big KTM (don't know name), Verysys 1000, etc.

Would the roads, (condition, landscape, traffic), allow you to truly appreciate the former group?

I ride a Yam XJR1300 when back in Aus and i ride one when in Thailand. IMO, if you are capable/experienced of riding a big bike, it makes absolutely no difference which country you are riding it in and therefore truely appreciating it.

If, however you feel comfortable only on a small bike/scooter, you probably would not truely appreciate all the advantages of a big bike.

PS once again, its a personal choice like so many things in life,and i for one would not enjoy riding riding a small bike anywhere at all .Thats just me.

Edited by garryjohns

There are a few roads where you can open up the throttle enough to enjoy these bikes.

That being said, I'd rather take something with a "big suspension" for touring around here.

I'd like to get a GS but it's too expensive because of import. Wish the new Africa Twin had a bit more road oriented version.

Yes and no.

The big tourers are very comfortable, especially when 2up but not so many places where you can really utilize all the HP from the big bikes.

Why not the V1000 in that group?

If you leave say Bangkok or Pattaya 0700 am you can be in Changmai late afternoon on a Honda CB300F.

If you got the money, why not.

A Malaysian friend of mine just did Kuala Lumpur- North Thailand and back on a Versys 650 (same as my bike), 5300 km and he had a blast.

One Post removed - one word reply

Mr Briggsy, sir:

In my papa's opinion the simple answer would be:

No.

papa try not to be overly negatives in views,

but there it is.

There may be those who would really enjoy putting around on these massive bikes.

Good on them.

Good on them.

Would like to take a spin on one sometime.

Have never ridden a bike with larger displacement than my car,...

but game.

If you, or any other forum-man require elaboration of this theory, please reach out, man.

Buddha's blessing on you and all "living" things.

Peace\out smile.png .

• 3 weeks later...

Why not? I ride a GTR1400 in the UK and I would love to have it in LOS. I live close to a good hilly, twisty area, Khao Tao, Phetchabun.

The GTR would be cool to ride up there as well as more incentive for me to go touring as my Thai ride, a Versys 650 , although fine for my needs, is a little cramped and lacks overtaking oomph at speeds where pickups want to compete with you..120kph, f.ex. The Gtr has unlimited power in comparison.biggrin.png

Downsides would be the unwieldiness and weight at certain times, but i did the Pyrenees on the Gtr and whilst hard work , it was faultless for comfort and mile munching.

I am contemplating my next bike in Los, will keep the Versys but for sure a 1200 would be on the cards, Multistrada perhaps, although have heard of problems, BMW or KTM adventure, 100 or 1290 if available. Or maybe a Triumph 1700 twin just for DELETED and giggles.

Ride on.

Edited by seedy
language

Ride my HD all over the North. While a trifle large for roads like CNX-Pai-Mae Hong Son and Nan area. Those roads benefit from a smaller, lighter, more nimble bike. But, when riding to Singapore, over miles and miles of Superslab, there is no replacement for displacement. On that note I bought a second bike for the North.

Ace of Pops

Thanks for your post.

There is a slight difference between me and the crowd you posted in the above photo. tongue.png

They are approaching the question of owning a large displacement bike in Thailand from a cultural perspective. Their bikes are more akin to fashion statements and membership of a group.

Also I wouldn't call them sports tourers more like cruisers or choppers. But I accept their weight, torque and cost are not dissimilar. So your point certainly partially answers my question.

I was focussing more on whether the strengths of large sports tourers (power, handling, long distance comfort) would be cancelled out by Thai road conditions (bad surface, congestion, rot edan, dangerous driving/pulling out) bearing in mind that a large sports tourer will be 400,000 to 500,000 Baht more than a 650cc bike. For an example, I have driven a fair bit in Laos and there is no way I would recommend owning a large sports tourer there because of the roads and the traffic.

Cheers

Briggsy

I've found I can't handle some Bikes well.Had a Gold Wing go from under me years back and lost a lot of confidence.Now I just use a borrowed Kwakers ,I'll find a pic later. Bare Bike ,new and bags of power, superb balance too..I M 70 now but Stijl nutty.[emoji56]

Yes agree Ace, the er6n in red looks very nice and they sell a lot of them in Pattaya.

Yes agree again regarding the Versys as said by PBP, when going over 120+ you will have to go a gear down or 2 in order to accelerate fairly fast, on a big touring bike no need to gear down, they generally have loads of power left for easy overtaking from that speed.

My V runs quickly out of steam at about 170 and it will take a while to reach the top-speed at about 200 (never tried that yet, can't find the road where I fell I can test it safely) but then again, not many places in Thailand where you can safely go faster than about 120-140 so enough for me.

If I wanted a large capacity touring bike here, I would look hard at the Versys 1000, it gets very good reviews all over the board and they lowered the HP for getting more mid-range grunt where you normally need it.

I've found I can't handle some Bikes well.Had a Gold Wing go from under me years back and lost a lot of confidence.Now I just use a borrowed Kwakers ,I'll find a pic later. Bare Bike ,new and bags of power, superb balance too..I M 70 now but Stijl nutty.[emoji56]

post-156212-14516162069881_thumb.jpg

HNY & ride safe in 2016

Hmm, I will continue to ponder.

This year (2016!!) I will buy something to replace or add to the CB500X. (I have a 125cc bike too but that is not in this equation)

Guzzi

At 5'5", I am not sure a Versys 1000 is the bike for me. Horses for courses.

Hmm, I will continue to ponder.

This year (2016!!) I will buy something to replace or add to the CB500X. (I have a 125cc bike too but that is not in this equation)

Guzzi

At 5'5", I am not sure a Versys 1000 is the bike for me. Horses for courses.

Your right. My mate bought one 3 months ago and he's (maybe) 3" taller than you and can just about get on & off the bike. Great bike, mind.

You may be better checking out a bike with a lower seat height

Triumph Tiger Low

Ducati Scrambler

For instance

Edited by DILLIGAD