UK expats for EU exit

Yesterday the Director General of the Confederation of British Industry said that it would not be in the Uks interests to leave the EU.

Also yesterday the head of the British Chamber of Commerce said that it would be in the UKs interests to leave the EU, he has been suspended for his comments!

I do love a level playing field and I am sure the general public do as well, another backfire from the remain group.

If you are wondering how you vote in the referendum, if you want to, there are options. A proxy vote where you can instruct someone you trust to vote on your behalf, they must vote at your local polling station, you can find out more at proxy vote/gov.uk

You can also get a postal vote for just this referendum if you wish, again postal vote/gov uk.

The forms can be downloaded from the site.

Just check the time required for setting these up.

So you say a proxy vote is for a friend to use in your polling district. How about the postal vote,presumably that can be used from anywhere .An idea when or even if postal votes will be dispatched overseas?
yes they will be dispatched overseas. I registered online to a former address in UK. Filled in form and scanned it, emailed to local council and got a letter back in post 2 weeks later telling me I am registered and will receive any ballot(in electoral register). See my facebook link in previous post for more info. Edited by kingalfred
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday the Director General of the Confederation of British Industry said that it would not be in the Uks interests to leave the EU.

Also yesterday the head of the British Chamber of Commerce said that it would be in the UKs interests to leave the EU, he has been suspended for his comments!

I do love a level playing field and I am sure the general public do as well, another backfire from the remain group.

If you are wondering how you vote in the referendum, if you want to, there are options. A proxy vote where you can instruct someone you trust to vote on your behalf, they must vote at your local polling station, you can find out more at proxy vote/gov.uk

You can also get a postal vote for just this referendum if you wish, again postal vote/gov uk.

So you say a proxy vote is for a friend to use in your polling district. How about the postal vote,presumably that can be used from anywhere .An idea when or even if postal votes will be dispatched overseas?
yes they will be dispatched overseas. I registered online to a former address in UK. Filled in form and scanned it, emailed to local council and got a letter back in post 2 weeks later telling me I am registered and will receive any ballot(in electoral register). See my facebook link in previous post for more info.

When a general election is called, 1 month is given for the election office to print out the form, post to the electorate, and then for the electorate to return the form. Obviously that cannot be done for Thailand. For this referendum they have 3 months to organize everything,so it will be interesting to see if they do.

I've mentioned this before but worth repeating I think.

I contacted my local council regarding 'renewal' of my postal vote (an annual rquirement). They have adivsed me that there will be a 'leading in' period of 16 weeks for the referendum.

In other words, whereas for the general election they could not have ballot papers ready to be sent out until the closure of nominations- which was about 3 weeks before the date. This resulted in many people not receiving ballot papers in time to return by post from Thailand. However, as the ballot paper is straightforward and they have 16 weeks, maybe the problems of late receipt will not occur.!

I'm going to contact them again next week and see if they have a specific date fixed for sending out the paper.I'll post the reply.

I have a particular problem in that I'm going to the UK in early June to watch the football. I am going to ask them if the ballot paper vould be sent to a UK address.Just in case we cross in midair.

Finally, it is interesting that the electoral office reply I received talked about "you would think people would recongise this is the 21st century" when replying to my query about whether the ballot paper could be sent out on line for us to downlad. Apparantly the answer is 'no', although they would prefer it.

Yes the postal vote form you fill in from the downloaded form and send it your local registration Office for the constituency you live in. On the form page you put in your post code and the address pops up, send the completed form there and they will send you the postal vote form when its available along with where to send your vote. You can do this just for the EU referendum or for all time until you tell them different.

The Proxy voter must vote at the same polling station as the one you would use, not a nearby one, its specific and I guess so that they see the person holding the proxy is entitled to vote there.

Have a look online it seems straight forward, I will go a for a postal vote, you just have to state you will be away on the date, 23rd June.

Yes the postal vote form you fill in from the downloaded form and send it your local registration Office for the constituency you live in. On the form page you put in your post code and the address pops up, send the completed form there and they will send you the postal vote form when its available along with where to send your vote. You can do this just for the EU referendum or for all time until you tell them different.

The Proxy voter must vote at the same polling station as the one you would use, not a nearby one, its specific and I guess so that they see the person holding the proxy is entitled to vote there.

Have a look online it seems straight forward, I will go a for a postal vote, you just have to state you will be away on the date, 23rd June.

You can also have a proxy postal vote whereby your proxy receives a postal ballot and sends it back to your constituency. This avoids the need for any overseas posting.

The problem with a postal vote is the time between the electoral office sending it to you and you filling it in and returning it. I think it is 7 days before a national election that postal vote is sent out so if the turn around time is too long your vote will not be counted.

The problem with a postal vote is the time between the electoral office sending it to you and you filling it in and returning it. I think it is 7 days before a national election that postal vote is sent out so if the turn around time is too long your vote will not be counted.

This is why a proxy postal vote is better.

In an article that has just appeared in the Daily Express tonight for us, about who is eligible to vote in the EU referendum it is is claimed that, voters in Cyprus and Malta will all have a vote, as will Gibraltar. Also residents in the UK from over 54 Commonwealth countries will also be eligible, inc Pakistan and Nigeria, Australia and Canada.

The same goes for Irish residents in the UK, how has that been allowed?

It's the same people as vote in parliamentary elections. The right to vote is based on being, or having been, a Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK. The UK has chosen to ignore the fact that the Republic of Ireland has left the Commonwealth, and has not really come to terms with the existence of the border.

In an article that has just appeared in the Daily Express tonight for us, about who is eligible to vote in the EU referendum it is is claimed that, voters in Cyprus and Malta will all have a vote, as will Gibraltar. Also residents in the UK from over 54 Commonwealth countries will also be eligible, inc Pakistan and Nigeria, Australia and Canada.

The same goes for Irish residents in the UK, how has that been allowed?

It's the same people as vote in parliamentary elections. The right to vote is based on being, or having been, a Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK. The UK has chosen to ignore the fact that the Republic of Ireland has left the Commonwealth, and has not really come to terms with the existence of the border.

They are not British Citizens and should not be allowed to register to vote, that is my point. Imagine if I had lived in the Republic of Ireland for a number of years, I would not be a citizen of Eire and should not be allowed to vote in any referendum that was applicable in the country, I would not expect to, I might have an opinion but its really nothing to do with me, its a local issue.

Boris Johnson to campaign to leave the EU!

He has the Balls to voice his opinion ,clap2.gifclap2.gif

Freedom of speech is a major part of UK democracy .Battles were fought for it,, lest we forget .

It is just unfortunate , a mishap , that the head of the British Chamber of Commerce ,

voiced his VALUED opinion , that GB , would be better off out of the EU, for which he was suspended .

And, there is more to come , our Prime Minister , who is a a firm believer in a free and democratic vote, 5555

is swaying the electorate against , leaving the EU .

His manta ,which got him into office, let the people , the electorate decide ,

Crap , big time .

Cameron is in a no win situation .. thumbsup.gif

George , is waiting , knives sharpened .

What is the alternative ? JC, aka as Jeremy Clown..coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

Chas and Dave yet to decide on EU Bexit, same for Ant and Dec. Their views are crucial if we are to know which way to vote! Could I handle an independent Tottenham or Tyneside without an interpreter even though they share the same currencyfacepalm.gif .Where is Dale Winton when you need him?

Now I am really looking forward to a BBC programme which is coming to BBC 1 before the EU referendum...........Jeremy Paxman goes to Brussels to interview Eurocrats and others about UK and the EU. I hope its not edited to suit and I hope to see Paxman give them both barrels, look out for it.

Edited by nong38

Chas and Dave yet to decide on EU Bexit, same for Ant and Dec. Their views are crucial if we are to know which way to vote! Could I handle an independent Tottenham or Tyneside without an interpreter even though they share the same currencyfacepalm.gif .Where is Dale Winton when you need him?

Now I am really looking forward to a BBC programme which is coming to BBC 1 before the EU referendum...........Jeremy Paxman goes to Brussels to interview Eurocrats and others about UK and the EU. I hope its not edited to suit and I hope to see Paxman give them both barrels, look out for it.

Spot on , clap2.gifclap2.gif

Ant and Dec , are the movers and shakers, just what the Great British people need,

Leadership , in our hour of need , lets not forget .

What about Simon Caldwell .. salt of the earth . a politician in the making , Churchill would be proud.

All is not lost .coffee1.gif

Emirates , the team destined to win , at all costs .wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Not sure if Arsenal are in the EU or out!

The show will called " Paxman in Brussels" and its said it ill be impartial lets see, Jeremy does not look like and "IN" bloke to me and then you have the BBC editors who no doubt will be on the hot line to Number 10!

Nick Robinson is also doing a two part programme called "them and US" again should be interesting.

I now wait for Jeremy Clarkson to weigh in followed Peirs Morgan and Mrs Merton.

Edited by nong38

The U.K. Has now agreed to give £500 million to Turkey in an agreement to manage the economic migration crisis, this is the same amount successive governments have been unable to find to cover the cost of unfreezing taxpayers pensions. In addition Cameron wants to give Turkey and it's 75,000,000 access to the tax payed NHS,while at the same time denying Ex-pats who Have paid into the system,unless these ex-pats are prepared to pay the full cost of treatment plus 50%. Does't it make you proud to be British.

When I want an idea of the likely result of an election, referendum, contest etc I've always found that the betting is an excellent yardstick. At the moment Betfair is suggesting a 65-75% turnout (which surprises me as most of us don't know what's best) and staying IN is a strong 4-9 favourite, with more than £2m already gambled!

When I want an idea of the likely result of an election, referendum, contest etc I've always found that the betting is an excellent yardstick. At the moment Betfair is suggesting a 65-75% turnout (which surprises me as most of us don't know what's best) and staying IN is a strong 4-9 favourite, with more than £2m already gambled!

I agree. My gut feeling is that the 'remain' vote will win. The 'undecided's' are obviously the key to this and I suspect the majority will vote 'remain' simply because, in the end, the tendancy appears to indicate a vote for the "status quo" if they are not sure. A 15% undecided could swing the final figure in excess of 20%.

So, we could end up with a mirror image of the Scottish referendum. Maybe 60/40% or 55/45% etc.

I'm not saying I agree with such an outcome but my senses tell me this is what will happen. If I'm wrong I'll grovel back on ths thread in 4 months time and apolgise.

I agree. My gut feeling is that the 'remain' vote will win. The 'undecided's' are obviously the key to this and I suspect the majority will vote 'remain' simply because, in the end, the tendancy appears to indicate a vote for the "status quo" if they are not sure. A 15% undecided could swing the final figure in excess of 20%.

So, we could end up with a mirror image of the Scottish referendum. Maybe 60/40% or 55/45% etc.

I'm not saying I agree with such an outcome but my senses tell me this is what will happen. If I'm wrong I'll grovel back on ths thread in 4 months time and apolgise.

I think you are spot on. There will be lots of scare tactics on both sides, but the 'remain' side will prevail, particularly when/if Ant & Dec, Adele, David Beckham and other cultural icons come out in favour of staying in. The 'leave' side are truly scary (Gorgeous George Galloway, Boris, Gove, Farage and the UKIP clowns, the far right in general).

There will be no need to apologise, you're offering an opinion, which we are all entitled to. 55/45% is favourite on Betfair and in case anybody is interested the US Presidential election is very much a 2 horse race with HC at 4/7 and DT at 9/2. It's 22/1 Bar!

Unfortunately you are probably correct. The younger generation will vote to remain in, as they have been indoctrinated into thinking there is no alternative. Added to parts of the electorate who do not understand the implications of this referendum and cannot comprehend how the EU will evolve over the next few years.

It will be interesting to see how the British will think,when in a further short period of time, they come to realise how they've been deceived once again.

On the bright side for all of us, whichever side is supported, the campagn has not even begun in real terms. My Electoral Office, in a reply to a query on my postal vote, informed me there will be a 17 day 'lead in' to the referendum.

I assume, this is when the campaing becomes 'official' with TV programmes, debates, (adds?) etc will really begin. After all, the 'leave' side campaing group has not yet been formally endorsed by the EC, as there are at least two. I assume this will then give them equal access to TV, radio, money etc as the 'remain' side.

I do notice now the rush to get the immigrant fllood issue resolved and off the front pages of the newspapers. Sheer con-incidence I'm sure.

Looking forward to the end of May when the campaign really gets going!. It really is a problem for me. The selfish part worries about future exchange rates etc, but equally I must consider the best interests of my home country.

By the way, I've lived abroad too long obviously. I have no idea who Ant and Dec are. I know who David Backham is, as my daughter swoons over him.

Ant and Dec are two small Geordies who appear on tv as presenters, to the best of my knowledge they cannot sing, dance or do magic although they do appear to smile a lot. For this they sem to be paid an enormous amount of money, amazing! What the General Pubic sees in them is beyond me but they will have their ear when the time comes, just dont ask them what they think of EU, they will probably think is a new band.

For those waiting on pensions then I think the amount, which has recently been reduced due to the exchange rate should be aware there is likely to be more turmoil coming up to the vote on 23rd June, I expect the £ to go down in the days leading up to and it may well continue afterwards as well. Its not good news either way. If the vote is to stay in, then the Euro and the £ will start to rise again, so if its your pension that worries you and whats in the bank you should vote to stay in.

Whatever the outcome, its not likely that we will see too many of the results in our lifetimes, so if you going to vote for out, then the world you wish for will take time to be become clear if it will appear at all, you would be voting for future generations who you think will be better off outside the EU, a vote for the country rather a vote for your pocket.

No one knows what the future holds, in either camps, events appear that change directions and no one saw them coming, if we could predict the future we would all be rich.

Its a gamble either way, if we leave are we sure we can strike up the trade deals that will ensure our success, will London remain the global centre it is today, will be be better off outside the EU with our own democracy, laws, borders and security?

If we stay in what will the EU have in store for us now we shown doubt in their master plans? Will we be treated differently and if so how differently? What direction will the EU now go in, the one we think we voted for a different one, one we were not made aware of.

I look at Turkey, next to Syria, holding the EU to ransom to get into the EU, only about 10% of the country is actually in Europe and yet they are muscling there way in, another 75 million people who could be heading for the UK and we would be powerless to stop them ( not likely I grant you). Istanbul would then be Europes largest city.

I look at the EU members and wonder how is it right that everyone has an equal vote, Malta, Lithuania and Estonia have the same voting rights as the UK and Germany etc when they cash input is nil or thereabouts, here is where its difficult to make decisions so the un-elected EU beaurocrats get away with what they want taking it in the direction they want rather than what the peoples want.

We are the 3rd biggest trading nation in the world its what we have done for years, we will not suddenly stop trading but we might be able to do it better on our own with some EU folk doing it for us in their own way and their own time.

We would still be in the UN and on the security council and regain our seat on the WTO, still be members of the G8 G20 and NATO, does not sound to bad to me.

There is always a lot of talk about our trade with the EU, it would be in both sides interests to strike a deal, a lot of jobs depend on it on both sides, but, we must also remember that 90% of British companies do not deal with the EU as well but still have to adhere to their directives and laws.

The USA sells far more to the EU than we do, they dont pay anything into the coffers for the privilege either, they have their own deal

Security would still be linked up whether we are in or out, the notion put about by some that all co operation would cease is simply not true, its in all our interests to keep in touch and updated as to whats going on.

Having said all that I am for out and I doubt anybody is going to show me something that is going to change my mind, similarly there will be many out there who feel its right to stay in and nothing I say or show you will change your mind, that I understand, you see when ti comes down to it we have a "gut" feeling about everything and which way it draws us, we have had several decades to stiffen that position as well..

Now I look with interest on the bookies odds and on the popularity of the Government and Cameron for the latest numbers now that the show is on the road, theres a long way to go and the gun has yet to fired officially yet!

Edited by nong38

The U.K. Has now agreed to give £500 million to Turkey in an agreement to manage the economic migration crisis, this is the same amount successive governments have been unable to find to cover the cost of unfreezing taxpayers pensions. In addition Cameron wants to give Turkey and it's 75,000,000 access to the tax payed NHS,while at the same time denying Ex-pats who Have paid into the system,unless these ex-pats are prepared to pay the full cost of treatment plus 50%. Does't it make you proud to be British.

Would be intersting to know ,

what are the stats, for UK tax payers , committing suicide , God bless you both. RIP.

Social Security scroungers , and economical refugees , UK is the place 2B.

Ant and Dec , the way forward .wai2.gif

Ant and Dec are two small Geordies who appear on tv as presenters, to the best of my knowledge they cannot sing, dance or do magic although they do appear to smile a lot. For this they sem to be paid an enormous amount of money, amazing! What the General Pubic sees in them is beyond me but they will have their ear when the time comes, just dont ask them what they think of EU, they will probably think is a new band.

For those waiting on pensions then I think the amount, which has recently been reduced due to the exchange rate should be aware there is likely to be more turmoil coming up to the vote on 23rd June, I expect the £ to go down in the days leading up to and it may well continue afterwards as well. Its not good news either way. If the vote is to stay in, then the Euro and the £ will start to rise again, so if its your pension that worries you and whats in the bank you should vote to stay in.

Whatever the outcome, its not likely that we will see too many of the results in our lifetimes, so if you going to vote for out, then the world you wish for will take time to be become clear if it will appear at all, you would be voting for future generations who you think will be better off outside the EU, a vote for the country rather a vote for your pocket.

No one knows what the future holds, in either camps, events appear that change directions and no one saw them coming, if we could predict the future we would all be rich.

Its a gamble either way, if we leave are we sure we can strike up the trade deals that will ensure our success, will London remain the global centre it is today, will be be better off outside the EU with our own democracy, laws, borders and security?

If we stay in what will the EU have in store for us now we shown doubt in their master plans? Will we be treated differently and if so how differently? What direction will the EU now go in, the one we think we voted for a different one, one we were not made aware of.

I look at Turkey, next to Syria, holding the EU to ransom to get into the EU, only about 10% of the country is actually in Europe and yet they are muscling there way in, another 75 million people who could be heading for the UK and we would be powerless to stop them ( not likely I grant you). Istanbul would then be Europes largest city.

I look at the EU members and wonder how is it right that everyone has an equal vote, Malta, Lithuania and Estonia have the same voting rights as the UK and Germany etc when they cash input is nil or thereabouts, here is where its difficult to make decisions so the un-elected EU beaurocrats get away with what they want taking it in the direction they want rather than what the peoples want.

We are the 3rd biggest trading nation in the world its what we have done for years, we will not suddenly stop trading but we might be able to do it better on our own with some EU folk doing it for us in their own way and their own time.

We would still be in the UN and on the security council and regain our seat on the WTO, still be members of the G8 G20 and NATO, does not sound to bad to me.

There is always a lot of talk about our trade with the EU, it would be in both sides interests to strike a deal, a lot of jobs depend on it on both sides, but, we must also remember that 90% of British companies do not deal with the EU as well but still have to adhere to their directives and laws.

The USA sells far more to the EU than we do, they dont pay anything into the coffers for the privilege either, they have their own deal

Security would still be linked up whether we are in or out, the notion put about by some that all co operation would cease is simply not true, its in all our interests to keep in touch and updated as to whats going on.

Having said all that I am for out and I doubt anybody is going to show me something that is going to change my mind, similarly there will be many out there who feel its right to stay in and nothing I say or show you will change your mind, that I understand, you see when ti comes down to it we have a "gut" feeling about everything and which way it draws us, we have had several decades to stiffen that position as well..

Now I look with interest on the bookies odds and on the popularity of the Government and Cameron for the latest numbers now that the show is on the road, theres a long way to go and the gun has yet to fired officially yet!

Good points Nong.

The leave campaign have some excellent and articulate people. You have to scratcharound for them at the moment on programmes like the Andrew Marr show, but they are there. It should be a vigorous campaign!.

I would guess I'm 60/40 for exit and my views have been hardened for leaving by some of the misleading statements by the PM.

When he went to a meeting in a factory after he had 'secured' his great deal, he told the audience- among other things "I have kept the country out of the Euro"...........I was unaware we had been clamouring to join since he took office in 2010. But he knows that some younger voters will take that as gospel, as though we could have been dragged in against our will.

Also, I was one of those who believed he should have presented his outcome firstly to parliament rather than a group of factory workers.

I'm now going to watch the cricket and forget about this for a while!

To stay in is the right thing to do.

To come out is stupid. We all know that.

Do you actually know that the EU got its power over Britain by deceit?...The EU can't even be honest enough to ask for the British citizens consent.

The current situation is like Phnom Phen in Cambodia ruling Thailand without the Thai's having any say.

Financial Times have a thread with all the polls for IN or OUT of the EU, their poll of polls currently stands at 45% In and 40% out.

Polls are not to be taken seriously as they are easily manipulated by interested parties...the polls were miles out at the last British general election.

Boris Johnson to campaign to leave the EU!

Bumbling idiots like Boris, George Galloway and Farage, not to mention the downright scary Gove, are not likely to do much to attract undecideds!

These EU corporate puppets want people to vote to stay in the EU so that should be enough reason to vote OUT!

post-7723-0-08796700-1457753126_thumb.jp