Found a helpful bank in Khon Kaen

Kenny202

Went to the main Bangkok Bank branch the other day in Khonkaen and the dill in a suit I got stuck with had no clue. Rather than admit he wasn't sure of the procedure, and go check with HO, he proceeded to give me the usual face saving Thai run around. He tried about three different ways to find an issue which I was able to provide solutions. Finally he said there was a problem because of my OA visa. They didn't believe my passport as the stay until date had been written in hand, and he couldn't read the immigration officials signature!

He advised me I not only had to go and get a letter from immigration stating my status, but have the Imm official provide a copy of his ID card, personal telephone number and home address! Instead I opted to go to the other branch in Khonkaen that can handle foreign currency accounts at Prachasamoson Road.

I have had a bit to do with Thai banks and government departments and I have to say haven't had many good experiences. Usually starts off same as above and gets worse as a face saving battle of wills ensues. Anyway, dealt with a lady there called Ploii. An absolute angel. Sorted everything for me including opening a new branch account and the foreign currency account, online banking, card limits etc. Was actually a pleasurable experience. She speaks English well, has a great sense of humour and cant do enough for you. Bank relationships for most of us here are so important and I thought I would share this information for those needing a good contact.

Yep. I was initially told only a few select branches in Bangkok but if you Have a look on their website there are regional branches everywhere. I applied today at the bank mentioned. Ask for Ploii. They have many farang customers with FCD accounts

Yep. I was initially told only a few select branches in Bangkok but if you Have a look on their website there are regional branches everywhere. I applied today at the bank mentioned. Ask for Ploii. They have many farang customers with FCD accounts

Thanks for the confirmation I live in Ubon and when I previously enquired about a USD account they told me no problem but the account would need to be in Bangkok.

I will check again next week if things have changed as it was a while ago when I last enquired.

Thanks for the confirmation I live in Ubon and when I previously enquired about a USD account they told me no problem but the account would need to be in Bangkok.

I will check again next week if things have changed as it was a while ago when I last enquired.

What does that mean "the account would need to be in Bangkok"?

We were able to open up a Euro and USD account at a Bangkok Bank branch in Surin. Later on we moved to Ubon and whenever we needed something done that can't be done online, we would go to the Bangkok Bank branch in Ubon that handles foreign currency and get it done.

It's a mixture of ignorance, don't give a fark and "go away and let me get back to facebook" with the person at the branch u spoke to. If a Thai n a service position doesn't know the answer to your question, they'll pause for around 2 seconds and tell you a pack of BS all designed for you to get out of their life as soon as possible. Ever ask someone for directions here? Won't have a clue but won't tell you they don't know. Instead make up a story and tell u to go in the opposite direction.

I opened a Bangkok Bank FCD account in Chiangmai but they had to send all the paperwork in Bangkok to open the account and get the pass book later.

The clerk told me that I can withdraw foreign currency only at the Chiangmai branch where the account was open.

If I opened a FCD in the Bangkok main Branch I could withdraw money from all branches in Thailand.

BUT, the account was opened 3 years ago, so maybe the rules have changed now.

A little off topic but does anyone know if Bangkok Bank KK branches will issue a letter confirming the amount in my savings account if it was originally opened in Bangkok. I will need this for KK immigration when i next extend my stay which up till now I have always done in Bangkok and just got the letter on the spot from the head office. I obviously don't want to have to go all the way there and back up tp KK.

Thanks for any help

From: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/GPSD/FCDServiceBranch_En.p

Ubon Ratchathani Sapphasit Road 045-246072, 244171