e85

bearpolar

I searched a bit, all threads are old and outdated and google is all spam

What's the current situation with e85? It's 25% cheaper than 91 and most new cars are fitted to run it correctly.

E20 loses performance & worse gas mileague than e10 91, thats all i know

I tried e85 these last few days and what i noticed was that my mileage was better in NON-eco mode except in stand still. Also my mileage is a couple km/l under what id get on 91.

I don't really see the performance increase as stated on google.

So any connaiseur can enlighten people on what to use with their e85 compatible car in the city or highway? Should we use eco-mode?

If you are referring to the Honda HRC dont put anything other than E20 for short runs. say 15 Km a day, and E85 on longer runs. 91 gains nothing.The Eco thingy just stops it going into Lo ish on the CV AutoBox. and trims the AC a bit. Problem is its such a cheeky ride i just tend to enjoy the Go. and sod the fuel, E85 does improve acceleration when the Vitec opens up but then you loose 3 Km Pl easy, same as the 1.8 Civic. Used E85 for 3Years in the Civic, but only done 1700 clicks in the Happy Honda.,,,,,,Hope that gives you some basic findings.

If one has a true "Flex" car then extra power with E85 at the expense of fuel usage. Old VW Gol 1l Flex in Brazil was if I recall 65hp on regular pump gas and 68 hp on alcool or E95.

Range on a tank of gas about 600 kms on alcool 450.

Fill the tank with each fuel and compare ranges. It boils down to the use of a calculator with each vehicle.

Ethanol likes high compression (high compression ratios or turbos) and although burns slower than benzene it burns quicker than benzene without knock due to the higher octane number which means it can be run leaner than benzene. Which means it can be better than benzene at higher(ish) revs, i.e. not eco mode.

Due to the multi fuel system it is a compromise for both so ethanol is not used to it's best as in racing fuels where it excels.

yeah i put the sport/manuel option on the car yesterday and driving around 2500-3000 rpm felt a lot faster than it did on e10.

but damn that MPG.. takes everything to keep 8-10km/l even when theres no traffic and a lot of coasting.

Definitely not worth it unless i put my tires 10 psi above the recommended usage. I don't get why they sell these and make new cars for it.. it's more expensive to run.

but damn that MPG.. takes everything to keep 8-10km/l even when theres no traffic and a lot of coasting.

Have you tried filling up with simple benzine at 31-ish baht/litre and see what mileage you get wit that. Then just use said calculator to get what you want.

NGV or LPG is still cheapest along as you do not mind queuing for an hour everytime to need to fill up.

I've never queued for LPG. Never been to a full station!
E20 is the best value in MJ/baht for regular cars.
Assuming all cars are tuned specifically for alcohol fuels, which they are not.
Best way is still empirical, not theoretical.. Try all the fuels and use a calculator.
Edited by VocalNeal

The correct A/F ratio for gasoline is 12.5:1 that is 12.5 part of air for 1 part fuel. E85 is about 7.5. So if you suck in 12.5 parts of air you need 1.66 parts of E85. You might get more power but you'll still use more fuel.

Agree yes OK to use if the car is built for it but it doesn't mean you save anything!

Interestingly I just read the part of the reason for 15% gasoline is to give to enhance flame luminosity in case of fire! Oh and to help cold starting. Alcool cars in Brazil have a small windsheild washer fluid-like bottle under the hood for petrol. Car starts on petrol then switches over. I discovered this when I noticed the car had two low fuel warning lights!

Edited by VocalNeal

e20 isnt even 2b cheaper than e10 91

people also say it makes the car sluggish

every thai post ive seen for baht per liter has e20 as the worst option

e10 vs e20 makes no difference in my swift in either economy or performance. So I use e20.

Yeah on a 91hp mini car i see that it could not make a difference but on a much heavier car from what ive read, e20 feels a lot sluggish which is not a good thing when we already have really low horse powers.

I'd really love to know how much more HP we get on e85 with the honda 1.8. It does make a big difference when im doing up hills

His Honda needs E 85.on long runs,and E20 on short,Nufin more needs saying.As for the Swift post he's spot on.Plus one never gets factory Kpl when it's full of family,going up hills n tings.

If the car is E85 compatible why cannot it use E85 all the time, what is the purpose of E20 on short runs ?

Nufin more needs saying.

Just as long as everyone has grasped that while E10 and E20 are 25% cheaper the vehicle probably uses 30% more fuel. Maybe worse with E85.

It is a question of trying all the fuels and working out the cost per km. Which everyone may have done?

Just because the fuel is cheaper at the pump does not necassarily mean it is cheaper to use!

Edited by VocalNeal

Ok the E85 is done on the HRV. Just upped my tire PSI from 32 recommended to 41.. no traffic.. 11km/l.. i would of had 14.5 to 16 on E10 that is 4b more expensive or maybe even more as i have not driven on e10 with high pressure in a while.

E85 is a waste, bit of performance increase thats it

gas about 20% cheaper but km/l is over 20% worse

Edited by bearpolar

Id just give up mate, messing about with Pressures, thats just silly, and your figs are showing 11 is right for trafic on E85, and 15 /16 on E20.. No one uses any other fuel in E Compat Engines ive known anyway. Cruzin at 85/90 on E20 should get you 20 kpl easy, mine did on sunday during a 2hr X2 run.facepalm.gifthumbsup.gif

e20 isnt even 2b cheaper than e10 91

people also say it makes the car sluggish

every thai post ive seen for baht per liter has e20 as the worst option

From BKK post today

GASOHOL 91 23.68

GASOHOL E85 18.99

GASOHOL 95 24.10

GASOHOL E20 21.74

There is only 3.3% energy content difference between the two of them but E20 is 8% cheaper. Depends which fuel that your car is set up for that will give you best fuel consumption. But even if it is not set up optimally for E20 you will still probably get better milage. Power is always going to be less with alcohol based fuels.

Edited by DPGumbypgh