Pattaya to Loei for a few days

VBF

Hi all seasoned Thailand travelers

Been searching the forums and the airline, bus and train sites to go from Pattaya to Loei, stay in Loei for a few days and back to Pattaya.

Staying with friends in Loei but want to inconvenience them as little as possible.

I don't have a car and don't want to hire one and for the purposes of this question, let's ignore cost (within reason!)

I'm aware of the following options:

Nakonchai air bus - done it several times and it's a long journey (was fun the first time but tedious now!)

Don Meung to Loei (Nok air) - long time to get from Pattaya to DM and back - done that too!

Utapao to Udon Thani (Air Asia) - need to get from UT to Loei and back. Is there a bus between those 2, does anyone know?

One of those options will clearly do the trick, I'm also considering combining them eg, bus out and fly back or vice-versa.

(BTW - also looked at Kan air but they don't appear to fly between UTP and Loei)

So before I decide, have i missed any other practical options please?

Thanks........ wai2.gif

Edited by VBF

You can take a bus from Mor Chit to Phu Rua then change to a bus to Loei.

There is no quick means as such going from Pattaya to Loei,the quickest as you stated is flying from DM.

Actually I believe the bus can be boarded from Pattaya to Phu Rua or failing that from Pattaya to Lom Sak then change to Phu Rua etc.

Edited by stoneyboy

You can take a bus from Mor Chit to Phu Rua then change to a bus to Loei.

There is no quick means as such going from Pattaya to Loei,the quickest as you stated is flying from DM.

Actually I believe the bus can be boarded from Pattaya to Phu Rua or failing that from Pattaya to Lom Sak then change to Phu Rua etc.

Thanks Stoneyboy - has there been a change then??

I ask because in 2013 I went from a bus station in Loei to Pattaya (Sukhumvit) on one bus that took about 12 hours, stopping at many places.

My ex-girlfriend got the tickets - on the way North we stopped at Chaiyaphum for a week and then took another bus to Loei, but going South we certainly did not change buses from Loei to Pattaya

I think the company was Nakonchai Air or Nakonchai Tour and it went through Pak Chong and I recall that they gave you a ticket for some food at a services area.

It was an air conditioned double-decker bus and as comfortable as expected (!) That was what I referred to in my OP as "Nakonchai air bus - done it several times and it's a long journey....."

I just cannot find this route anywhere on the 'net so any help is appreciated.

Edited by VBF

I would hate the long bus ride.

Kan AIr has no (more) flights from U-Tapao (currently).

UTP to UTH and then bus from Udon to Loei seems convinient.

Just that you have to get up very early (departure from UTP is 7:55h).

AirAsia shuttle bus leaves Central shopping at 5:50h.

A full hour waiting in UTP.

DMK to Loei is almost worse, as departure is 8:40h.

Or you prefer to arrive in the evening, departure 17:40h?

The latter one looks good for me as I would arrive about the same time as going by an early bus from Pattaya?

Night bus is an absolute no-no for me.

Pattaya to DMK: bus to Suvarnabhumi, 134 Baht, free shuttle to DMK.

I would use this option!

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would hate the long bus ride.

Kan AIr has no (more) flights from U-Tapao (currently).

UTP to UTH and then bus from Udon to Loei seems most convinient.

Just that you have to get up very early (departure from UTP is 7:55h).

AirAsia shuttle bus leaves Central shopping at 5:50h.

A full hour waiting in UTP.

DMK to Loei is almost worse, as departure is 8:40h.

Or you prefer to arrive in the evening, departure 17:40h?

The latter one looks good for me as I would arrive about the same time as going by an early bus from Pattaya?

Night bus is an absolute no-no for me.

Pattaya to DMK: bus to Suvarnabhumi, 134 Baht, free shuttle to DMK.

I would use this option!

From my post above (#4) it would appear that the bus is no longer an option anyway, although I think a quick trip to the bus station itself in Pattaya would answer THAT question if no-one here can!
(I don't actually arrive in Thailand for a few weeks so am attempting to plan ahead, in case anyone's wondering)
Early morning starts don't bother me at all - never have, but I agree that DMK to Loei is almost as inconvenient as the long-distance bus if you're starting from Pattaya!
Last time I flew from DMK, the traffic between Pattaya and DMK was horrendous (3 hours!) and I nearly missed my flight!
I'm inclining towards UTP to UTH and then bus from Udon to Loei except that I think I might prebook a taxi from Pattaya to UTP - I'm sure "Mister T" will oblige. Can always get the shuttle back to Central to save a bit on the return trip.
I assume that if i did that, I'd need to go into Udon to get a bus to Loei - not possible to get a bus from Udon airport to Loei (?)

If you do go, would you mind letting us know how you got there? And any other details you'd like to share? Especially pictures!

We've got that all new sub forum for trip reports!

It won't be until February but yes, i'll try to remember! Been there several times before to visit mates, first time I did fly to Udon and met mates in Udon, other times have taken the long-distance bus stopping at Chayaphum (my ex's home) on the way up and direct on the way back. That's why I'm surprised at the lack of bus options now as I commented above.

Edited by VBF