Ford truck

jayceenik

TGF's papa in Ubon wants to buy a new truck.

​He wants a Ford but she doesn't like Ford and wants him to buy a Toyota instead.

She has a say because she'll help the purchase with my bahts !!!

Anybody has an opinion about how good or bad this idea of buying a Ford truck is ?

Like after sale service, reliability, etc.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ford Ranger has been best in class for over 4 years now - even in the face of all-new models from Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi this and last year, it only took a minor update for the Ford to stay on top.

The Ford dealer network is smaller than Toyota's and Isuzu's though.

Edited by IMHO

Spent more than a few years working with Ford....Saw their cover ups - watched their slight of hand - tried to help them overcome their inabilities to be able to repair their built in design flaws which they wouldn't admit to - but couldn't fix....Watched them screw consumers with legitimate complaints - sometimes because they couldn't fix & other times they wouldn't because denial was better than class action.....Watched people unable to source parts in 3-5 year old vehicles from factory = obsolete (in part because they kept inventing "new" inovations replacing systems they couldn't fix before instead of overcoming previous design flaws)/// Disgusting corporate behaviour.....

Then spent many years with Toyota/Lexus = a total and complete turn around from the brief description above.....Analyzing warranty claims and handling convinced me that the Toyota product with 75,000 miles on it was still a better product/vehicle than showroom new vehicles of other makes - especially the domestic US manufacturers......

If Toyota had a real problem vehicle you'd see a team of engineers out to tear into the vehicle an solve the why.....With Ford the consumer was given an 800#....

Suspect Ford sold a lot of vehicles for other manufacturers....A breakdown showed once Toyota broke in to the full sized truck markert the farmers etc that spent hard earned money on trucks/equipment opted for two choices - if they'd owned a Toyota car they went with a Toyota pickup....Another was the Dodge Cummins (1,000,000 mile engine) workhorse.....

Given my observations/experience & the two choices - I'd go Toyota even if some designs are aged - they're longevity proven.....

Go with Toyota, their service is head and shoulders better than Thai Ford who are really bad and all Fords here depreciate like a brick.

Go find some used 2011+ Ranger Wildtraks (i.e. the ones that are actual Fords, not rebadged Mazda's) then compare their prices to same vintage top model Hilux G 3.0L AT 4x4's.... wink.png

Edited by IMHO

@IMHO

Thanks

Thanks to all for the input.

This Ford vs Toyota TGF family discussion has been going on for a while.

And the mama favors a Nissan !

Note that it'll be their first car. Papa is a professional truck driver.

@IMHO just summed it all above. A Ford Ranger it will be.

http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger

The papa is in love with Ford for some reason. Papa will be the one driving the truck and he's the one who must be happy with it !!

So I've decided and so I've just convinced my TGF biggrin.png

I have had my 2001 Ford Ranger 4 door 4x4 2.5 turbo diesel 14 years from new and it has over 330,xxx km on the clock and while showing its age and needing a bit more TLC than when it was new it is still plugging along.

I still get about 11.5 km/ltr. It has had about 5 batteries, 4 sets of tyres, 1 set of shock absorbers, a radiator and all the dents and scrapes are mine except 1.

Would I buy another Ford pickup? If I had the money, I would and buy one this afternoon and I live in rural Khampaeng Phet where my nearest dealer is 65 km away. In fact ALL of the dealers are in Khampaeng Phet city so it makes no difference to me.

Reliability and after sales service when I bought mine in BKK were always very good.

As for the OPs wife saying that she has a say because it is your money, she doesn't have to drive it, her Dad does.

Go with Toyota, their service is head and shoulders better than Thai Ford who are really bad and all Fords here depreciate like a brick.

Go find some used 2011+ Ranger Wildtraks (i.e. the ones that are actual Fords, not rebadged Mazda's) then compare their prices to same vintage top model Hilux G 3.0L AT 4x4's.... wink.png

Actually, I'm in a good mood today, let me help you with that :)

http://www.one2car.com/toyota/hilux-vigo/champ-double-cab/g/?min_year=2013&max_year=2013&transmission=automatic

http://www.one2car.com/ford/ranger/double-cab/wildtrak/?min_year=2013&max_year=2013&transmission=automatic

Note: the Wildtrak was 50K Baht more when new though (1.05M vs 1M).

@OP: You can either buy the best pickup, or you can buy the one that is propped up by the highest marketing spend in the entire country. Up2u smile.png

Man that marketing money works...

And reliability.......Toyota..........thumbsup.gif

Ma & Pa ain't interested in gizmo's, A to B with no ploblem.....Toyota..smile.png

Bit of a stretch to say the new Revo is reliable as it is very much an unknown at this stage.

But if you want reliable buy a Vigo.

The press car fleet is usually loaned out for between 1-7 days to each publication at the time the model is launched - the bigger more established ones getting them for longer than the lesser publications. After that launch round of loaners is complete, the cars are usually offered to the bigger publications for long term loans up until the car's first birthday / new financial year - i.e. 6-12 months on average.

Edited by IMHO

@OP: You can either buy the best pickup, or you can buy the one that is propped up by the highest marketing spend in the entire country. Up2u smile.png

Man that marketing money works...

And reliability.......Toyota..........thumbsup.gif

Ma & Pa ain't interested in gizmo's, A to B with no ploblem.....Toyota..smile.png

Bit of a stretch to say the new Revo is reliable as it is very much an unknown at this stage.

But if you want reliable buy a Vigo.

I agree, Toyota ain't daft though, their new engine in my opinion has been taken to the moon and back...Stick with no fuss basics. few gizmo's, reliability.

I read an Aussy test on all the latest pickup offerings...Made me smile..Sure gizmo wise stuff was better but RELIABILITY........No fuss, get you home...TOYOTA..

None of the mainstream brands makes a lemon. They are all well built and [as] reliable [as each other]. Toyota's "better reliability" is a proven myth, just as it's "better resale" is.

Edited by IMHO

I agree, Toyota ain't daft though

I fully agree with that.

They ain't daft -they have an inferior product, they know it, they have lost market share because of it, and they are now making up for it with the largest media spends ever seen in this country - which of course every buyer ultimately pays for.

Took Toyota many years to get the Hilux/Vigo reliable. I do not believe for one second the Revo will show the same reliability straight off the bat.

They improved the Tiger with the Vigo, l rarely read stuff on improving faults with the Vigo. Read stuff on injector seals, but......I don't believe for one minute they will take a step back..All this 3.2 stuff went over their head, not interested, continue the Toyota reliability thingy...

"3.2 stuff"?

Perhaps you're talking about the new GD series 3.2L engine project which looks to have been canned?

I'm not sure why that project went all quiet - but I suspect it's a difficult business case to make, given the lofty pricing on the Revo's.

"3.2 stuff"?

Perhaps you're talking about the new GD series 3.2L engine project which looks to have been canned?

I'm not sure why that project went all quiet - but I suspect it's a difficult business case to make, given the lofty pricing on the Revo's.

Anyone wants reliable engineering....Pay for it....Ford or Mercedes ride in the same class....Pay for it...smile.png

Reliable engineering. OK shall we talk about how Toyota gave the Revo project to TTCau (Toyota Technical Centre Australia), and right after the Revo launch announced they were scaling that operation back from a full R&D centre to an operation that now only tunes imports, and no longer develops actual cars?

Should we talk about how Toyota scrapped years of work on the Vigo's successor, and clean-sheeted the re-design (using TTCau) right after the T6 Ranger's 2011 launch? On that, remember when we were going to get the Vigo's successor in Q4/2012?

Actually, not sure how much detail I can go into on that one without getting into big trouble tongue.png

I think it's time for another beer mate tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

I can't comment on the newer models but I have a 2011 Ranger. XLT model Open Cab.

120k on the clock now and not one problem with it. So for me, its just as reliable as any of the other brands. As for servicing, does it matter if you have to drive 50km to get it serviced ? Now that the warranty has expired, I just get the regular service locally :)

As we know, Toyota employ USA folk to design stuff for the USA market...Sensible...As folk from a different part of the world look at stuff differently...Ford gave other folk outside the USA to design an engine for Ford diesel trucks...Seems that Ford USA could not do that....No idea why..

To me it's about engineering...stuff that will survive in any 'climate'...

If money was no object folk would by a Porsche,BMW SUV over a Ford SUV for that engineering thingy, OR looking cool.......laugh.png

I have one of those brands of SUV's you mentioned, plus a British one (with a Ford engine BTW), plus an Everest.

What's the conversation? biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

As we know, Toyota employ USA folk to design stuff for the USA market...Sensible...As folk from a different part of the world look at stuff differently...Ford gave other folk outside the USA to design an engine for Ford diesel trucks...Seems that Ford USA could not do that....No idea why..

If money was no object folk would by a Porsche,BMW SUV over a Ford SUV for that engineering thingy, OR looking cool.......laugh.png

I have one of those brands of SUV's you mentioned, plus a British one (with a Ford engine BTW), plus an Everest.

ET's...................laugh.png

OK then, the Porsche wins. Easily :P

Eeez on about Porsche Trucky SUV rubbish,same crap as BMW, Trans..biggrin.png Range Rover tops the Lot. Then a Land Cruiser by them slanty eyed buggers.IMHOs not from East End like Me E gets a bit confused with Brits..

ET's...................laugh.png

OK then, the Porsche wins. Easily tongue.png

Eeez on about Porsche Trucky SUV rubbish,same crap as BMW, Trans..biggrin.png Range Rover tops the Lot. Then a Land Cruiser by them slanty eyed buggers.IMHOs not from East End like Me E gets a bit confused with Brits..

Yep, the Cayenne is just a pimped up VW bus :P

Yep, the Cayenne is just a pimped up VW bus tongue.png

Or a down spec Bentayga....biggrin.png whichever way you want to look at it!

I'm a bit surprised your TGF's father in Ubon wants a Ford. One would think all older Thais want either an Isuzu or Toyota pick up, especially in Issan. In my opinion, all 3 (Toyota, Isuzu and Ford) have good pick ups. It really comes down to your personal preference and what is important to you. So if your TGF's father wants a Ford, why not buy him a Ford?

I'm a bit surprised your TGF's father in Ubon wants a Ford. One would think all older Thais want either an Isuzu or Toyota pick up, especially in Issan. In my opinion, all 3 (Toyota, Isuzu and Ford) have good pick ups. It really comes down to your personal preference and what is important to you. So if your TGF's father wants a Ford, why not buy him a Ford?

Practically everyone is online now - even "that" previously die-hard T/H/I fan uncle smile.png

Thai motoring journo's are even getting over their fears of ridicule now, and calling the best the best - but of course adding a disclaimer on dealership numbers so the unapologetic T/H/I fans still have something to grasp onto biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO