Ford truck

jayceenik

I'm a bit surprised your TGF's father in Ubon wants a Ford. One would think all older Thais want either an Isuzu or Toyota pick up, especially in Issan. In my opinion, all 3 (Toyota, Isuzu and Ford) have good pick ups. It really comes down to your personal preference and what is important to you. So if your TGF's father wants a Ford, why not buy him a Ford?

It's true...They want the LOS Rolls Royce.....A Toyota......I live in Isaan and my Thai friends ALL think the same...Forget about us farangs...

In your circle....

Market share changes over the past 5 years prove that ain't the case, on an overall basis. Most people I meet that are remotely into cars know that the Ranger/Everest are best in class - though, many are still perturbed about the same myths we've already covered here.

In real life, I know only 2 expats BTW - my main contact with Westerners is work colleagues (overseas) and this forum.

Actually, I should say, I'm friends with only 2. I have met several of course.

And, once again "The Rolls Royce of Thailand" is a.... Rolls Royce! Maybe an S class to those who know nothing about cars, maybe a C-Class to those unfortunate enough to have minimal schooling. Definitely not a Toyota though.

Edited by IMHO

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, do you live in Isaan, or deal with these folk...?

I do, they don't give a toss about market share and all that stuff. They care about a wow phone and drive a Toyota or Isuzu....The rest are has beens, if they go down other routes like me with my ancient Nokia phone, BUT, my old 4x4 Vigo is wai'd at at every intersection...Of course I wave and nod, which is only expected from a non Ford owner..giggle.gif

"wai'd or Why'd"?

I do, they don't give a toss about market share and all that stuff. They care about a wow phone and drive a Toyota or Isuzu....The rest are has beens, if they go down other routes like me with my ancient Nokia phone, BUT, my old 4x4 Vigo is wai'd at at every intersection...Of course I wave and nod, which is only expected from a non Ford owner..giggle.gif

I have relatives all over the country, including some in-laws in Isaan.

I challenge you to find one adult Thai person, just one, that doesn't know the name "Benz".

QED

If the old guy wants a Flord.....just go with the flow. It not worth the hassle getting in the middle of a family argument. Anyway a lot of Flords around here seem to be reliable. I've never seen either of them broken down on the side of the road!

Spent more than a few years working with Ford....Saw their cover ups - watched their slight of hand - tried to help them overcome their inabilities to be able to repair their built in design flaws which they wouldn't admit to - but couldn't fix....Watched them screw consumers with legitimate complaints - sometimes because they couldn't fix & other times they wouldn't because denial was better than class action.....Watched people unable to source parts in 3-5 year old vehicles from factory = obsolete (in part because they kept inventing "new" inovations replacing systems they couldn't fix before instead of overcoming previous design flaws)/// Disgusting corporate behaviour.....

Then spent many years with Toyota/Lexus = a total and complete turn around from the brief description above.....Analyzing warranty claims and handling convinced me that the Toyota product with 75,000 miles on it was still a better product/vehicle than showroom new vehicles of other makes - especially the domestic US manufacturers......

If Toyota had a real problem vehicle you'd see a team of engineers out to tear into the vehicle an solve the why.....With Ford the consumer was given an 800#....

Suspect Ford sold a lot of vehicles for other manufacturers....A breakdown showed once Toyota broke in to the full sized truck markert the farmers etc that spent hard earned money on trucks/equipment opted for two choices - if they'd owned a Toyota car they went with a Toyota pickup....Another was the Dodge Cummins (1,000,000 mile engine) workhorse.....

Given my observations/experience & the two choices - I'd go Toyota even if some designs are aged - they're longevity proven.....

Really? Ford in Thailand?

Admittedly, Toyota are very competent at dealing with their endless string of recalls.

Loads of Fords in Udon. I guess they're a bit more free thinking that other parts of Thailand.

The Ford Ranger has been best in class for over 4 years now - even in the face of all-new models from Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi this and last year, it only took a minor update for the Ford to stay on top.

The Ford dealer network is smaller than Toyota's and Isuzu's though.

How about some reference material, please.

New Mercedes-Benz pick on the way... Based on Navara! Liking the navara best myself, aussie tests give thumbs up...

will it be sold in Thailand ?

At this stage the only production centre that's been mentioned for the Benz pickup is Spain. We won't get it unless they build it here.

The Ford Ranger has been best in class for over 4 years now - even in the face of all-new models from Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi this and last year, it only took a minor update for the Ford to stay on top.

The Ford dealer network is smaller than Toyota's and Isuzu's though.

How about some reference material, please.

Sure, here's some reading (again, don't take my word for it):

http://www.caradvice.com.au/249408/ute-comparison-ford-ranger-v-holden-colorado-v-isuzu-d-max-v-mazda-bt-50-v-mitsubishi-triton-v-nissan-navara-v-toyota-hilux-v-volkswagen-amarok/

http://www.motoring.com.au/tray-chic-4x4-dual-cab-ute-comparison-27964/

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-comparison/working-class-mitsubishi-v-vw-v-toyota-v-nissan-v-ford-v-mazda-20120202-1qumc.html

Remove the vast price differences that are unique to AU, and Ranger comes out top. In any case, it's only ever battling it out with it's BT-50 brother ;)

Second hand Fords are a good buy in LOS because as we all know, they are not so popular with the Thais. Not fortunate enough to have driven one, but the new Rangers seem a very decent motor.

OP, if you were back home in your own country and married to a local lass, would you buy your FIL a new motor?

Second hand Fords are a good buy in LOS because as we all know, they are not so popular with the Thais. Not fortunate enough to have driven one, but the new Rangers seem a very decent motor.

OP, if you were back home in your own country and married to a local lass, would you buy your FIL a new motor?

I give my TGF a fixed monthly amount for her private use.

From that she'll pay the major part of the instalment plan.

TGF is against second-hand. Me too.

She was dead set for a Toyota but now accepts that it's going to be a Ford Ranger since it's what papa really really wants.

He is the one who must be happy with the purchase.

BTW not married to TGF but it's a permanent relationship ...

Spent more than a few years working with Ford....Saw their cover ups - watched their slight of hand - tried to help them overcome their inabilities to be able to repair their built in design flaws which they wouldn't admit to - but couldn't fix....Watched them screw consumers with legitimate complaints - sometimes because they couldn't fix & other times they wouldn't because denial was better than class action.....Watched people unable to source parts in 3-5 year old vehicles from factory = obsolete (in part because they kept inventing "new" inovations replacing systems they couldn't fix before instead of overcoming previous design flaws)/// Disgusting corporate behaviour.....

Then spent many years with Toyota/Lexus = a total and complete turn around from the brief description above.....Analyzing warranty claims and handling convinced me that the Toyota product with 75,000 miles on it was still a better product/vehicle than showroom new vehicles of other makes - especially the domestic US manufacturers......

If Toyota had a real problem vehicle you'd see a team of engineers out to tear into the vehicle an solve the why.....With Ford the consumer was given an 800#....

Suspect Ford sold a lot of vehicles for other manufacturers....A breakdown showed once Toyota broke in to the full sized truck markert the farmers etc that spent hard earned money on trucks/equipment opted for two choices - if they'd owned a Toyota car they went with a Toyota pickup....Another was the Dodge Cummins (1,000,000 mile engine) workhorse.....

Given my observations/experience & the two choices - I'd go Toyota even if some designs are aged - they're longevity proven.....

Really? Ford in Thailand?

Admittedly, Toyota are very competent at dealing with their endless string of recalls.

That's because Toyota voluntarily generates a recall if a flaw/pattern is found......Other manufacturers wait to be forced into a recall by legal/government edict....Again a corporate philosophy/procedural difference....One wants their product right and kept on the road /// others

don't want to fix but keep the consumer unaware and on the road.....

That's because Toyota voluntarily generates a recall if a flaw/pattern is found......Other manufacturers wait to be forced into a recall by legal/government edict....Again a corporate philosophy/procedural difference....One wants their product right and kept on the road /// others

don't want to fix but keep the consumer unaware and on the road.....

Really? Except for the Takata airbag scandal, when did Toyota Thailand last do a recall?

In most cases, they keep their flaws 'quiet' and execute them as "Special Service Campaigns" - which means no notifications are sent to owners, they just quietly fix major issues during routine servicing. If you're out of warranty, and no longer using Toyota dealership service, you'll never get some design flaws fixed. Even if you're in warranty and using dealer service, you'd could be driving a flawed car for up to 6 months.

The way I see it, It's all designed to keep flaws out of the media and public eye.

Not really what I'd call "transparent" - more like "invisible".

But I also have to say, Toyota aren't the only manufacturer in TH who do it this way....

AFAIK, only Ford do recalls in TH, and they even provide a website where you can enter your VIN to check for them - JIC your contact methods on file no longer work, or you're not the first owner.

Edited by IMHO

Yeah, I took my Fortuner in to a Main Dealer in 2006 for it's first service, they said they were going to do work on the brakes, all free, so I guess this was like a silent recall issue, or a 'Special Service Campaign ' as stated by IMHO.

Maybe they should have announced a recall.

That said, my car is 10 years old in January, never had a problem, service every 10,000 Kms.

BTW. why are the service intervals so short in Thailand, not complaining as my Fortuner has only averaged 10,000 Kms per year, have a Honda City too, I prefer driving that at times, 2009 model, also never had a problem, same service interval.

I'm tempted by the Everest, if I put a deposit down before the end of the year will I get the pre tax raise price when it eventually gets delivered in about 6 months ?

I'm tempted by the Everest, if I put a deposit down before the end of the year will I get the pre tax raise price when it eventually gets delivered in about 6 months ?

Unlikely - they wouldn't have revealed their 2016 prices at the Motor Expo if they were going to take bookings at 2015 prices. Try a few dealers though - you never know if one of them might have a cancelled/abandoned booking that can deliver this year. I'd imagine there'd be a few people also looking for an opportunity like that though ;)

Your experience of Ford was obviously many years ago, how do you rationalise what you claim about that US domestic Ford market with the current Thai market? Over the past many years a lot has changed in the motor industry.

@OP: You can either buy the best pickup, or you can buy the one that is propped up by the highest marketing spend in the entire country. Up2u smile.png

Man that marketing money works...

And reliability.......Toyota..........thumbsup.gif

Ma & Pa ain't interested in gizmo's, A to B with no ploblem.....Toyota..smile.png

What gizmos do current model Fords have that are going to be problematic that the equivalent current Toyotas don't have?

I keep reading here that Fords have all this trendy crap that in my opinion Mr & Mrs.Thai don't want or need. Gizmo's go wrong after time, the tech stuff...This is LOS...Reliability........Toyota can fit any gizmo you can name IF they want too, but the LOS market don't need it..

I'm afraid to tell you that in the battle to try and keep up, the Hilux also has that trendy crap mate.

Not as good trendy crap as the Ranger, but trendy crap no less.

Indeed where it falls short isn't the trendy crap - it's the basics, like chassis tuning and design.

Edited by IMHO

And reliability.......Toyota..........thumbsup.gif

Ma & Pa ain't interested in gizmo's, A to B with no ploblem.....Toyota..smile.png

What gizmos do current model Fords have that are going to be problematic that the equivalent current Toyotas don't have?

I keep reading here that Fords have all this trendy crap that in my opinion Mr & Mrs.Thai don't want or need. Gizmo's go wrong after time, the tech stuff...This is LOS...Reliability........Toyota can fit any gizmo you can name IF they want too, but the LOS market don't need it..

"Ma & Pa ain't interested in gizmo's..." "...Fords have all this trendy crap..." "Gizmo's go wrong after time, the tech stuff..."

I'm interested in what is "all this trendy crap" (and gizmos that go wrong) that Fords have but current equivalent model Toyotas don't have? You keep banging on about them but you don't specify what they are which is odd considering that you keep reading about them.

On board BBQ's as standardfor one..........Disco music when the head lights are turned on, microphone popping out the dashboard when 100kph is reached, must I go on....laugh.png

Please do go on - they're quite inventive fantasies biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Even better, start a new thread.. You can call it "Transams big list of fictional defects that Rangers have & Hilux's don't"

Be warned that Imma gonna make the Hilux hurt bad in my (non fictional) responses though tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

On board BBQ's as standardfor one..........Disco music when the head lights are turned on, microphone popping out the dashboard when 100kph is reached, must I go on....laugh.png

Please do go on - they're quite inventive fantasies biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Can't at the mo, but will, concentrating as being poster of the year...ITS TRUE...facepalm.gif

Got to get ACE in gear to promote my campaign, but he don't like my singing...rolleyes.gif

Oh no, another TV POTY. Last year's was kinda sad, think I might avoid the threads this year.

"Ma & Pa ain't interested in gizmo's..." "...Fords have all this trendy crap..." "Gizmo's go wrong after time, the tech stuff..."

I'm interested in what is "all this trendy crap" (and gizmos that go wrong) that Fords have but current equivalent model Toyotas don't have? You keep banging on about them but you don't specify what they are which is odd considering that you keep reading about them.

Luckily the Ford has none of that. might be why it is the better vehicle.

I'm afraid to tell you that in the battle to try and keep up, the Hilux also has that trendy crap mate.

Not as good trendy crap as the Ranger, but trendy crap no less.

Indeed where it falls short isn't the trendy crap - it's the basics, like chassis tuning and design.

B..b..but it's a Toyota!