10 Things You Didn't Know About KFC

rooster59

What kind of oil do they use at KFC in Thailand?

Toxic oil of course, high in omega 6's. I don't eat this garbage and only use organic virgin coconut oil in my cooking which is extremely healthful, as against processed oils which are terrible for the heart and cause inflammation in the body (the real cause of heart damage NOT cholesterol) - cholesterol is actually vital for the body to function and will only compromise the heart if it is too low. Just figure, why would the body produce up to 80% of the cholesterol in the body if it was bad for you? Dietary cholesterol is insignificant and if the level is elevated then the body compromises by producing less.

If you want to reduce your vLDL cholesterol (bad) then simply exercise and eat more fiber (both insoluble and soluble) such as with oats, chia + flax seeds and fruit and veg.

Agree with you. I avoid anything with palm oil in it where I can. I use coconut oil for all my cooking and frying. It's easier to clean up too, apart from the fact that it sets hard on cool days!
Thais eat so much fried food (in palm oil!) , and it's hard to get a griller here.

Toxic oil of course, high in omega 6's. I don't eat this garbage and only use organic virgin coconut oil in my cooking which is extremely healthful, as against processed oils which are terrible for the heart and cause inflammation in the body (the real cause of heart damage NOT cholesterol) - cholesterol is actually vital for the body to function and will only compromise the heart if it is too low. Just figure, why would the body produce up to 80% of the cholesterol in the body if it was bad for you? Dietary cholesterol is insignificant and if the level is elevated then the body compromises by producing less.

If you want to reduce your vLDL cholesterol (bad) then simply exercise and eat more fiber (both insoluble and soluble) such as with oats, chia + flax seeds and fruit and veg.

Agree with you. I avoid anything with palm oil in it where I can. I use coconut oil for all my cooking and frying. It's easier to clean up too, apart from the fact that it sets hard on cool days!
Thais eat so much fried food (in palm oil!) , and it's hard to get a griller here.

Isn't coconut oil more expensive and less common / available than most other cooking oils?

Think of the positive. They don't charge any extra for the grease. It comes free with the chicken.

Isn't coconut oil more expensive and less common / available than most other cooking oils?

Yes it is more expensive than vegetable oil at 450 baht/litre, I buy mine from Big C/Carrefoure. The thing about it is that it is extremely good for you and cannot be stored in he body as dangerous fat as it goes straight to the liver and is burnt as fuel. Also, it has MCF's (medium chain fatty acids) which are good for the body and it can be used at high temperatures as it doesn't degrade like most oils (including olive oil) as it is extremely heat stable.

You mention about it being more expensive but would you put diesel in a petrol engine car? If you value your health, and who doesn't? then ditch the vegetable oils and all processed oils and go for organic virgin coconut oil NB: buy it in glass bottles.

KFC is definitely better tasting/cooked in Thailand (compared to Australia and it would have to be much better than in America), because most Asian countries know how to cook using oil.

Our first try of KFC in Thailand was in the small outlet at Tescos Hua Hin, it was so well cooked, tasted the same but no oil dripping off, almost as though it is zap fried.

Totally agree with you, KFC in Thailand is fantastic, Australia is awful..

KFC is definitely better tasting/cooked in Thailand (compared to Australia and it would have to be much better than in America), because most Asian countries know how to cook using oil.

Our first try of KFC in Thailand was in the small outlet at Tescos Hua Hin, it was so well cooked, tasted the same but no oil dripping off, almost as though it is zap fried.

Totally agree with you, KFC in Thailand is fantastic, Australia is awful..

There is certainly regional variance. Not sure what kind of breading they use here in Thailand but it has the texture of cornflakes and is under seasoned, making it tasteless. Chicken is also tasteless and usually overcooked. Was out shopping (Tesco) a couple of weeks back and found it was raining when I was about to leave. KFC is right next to the exit so I ordered a couple of crispy strips and sat down to wait it out. After one bite I threw the lot into the bin and rode home in the rain. Could just be the branch but that seems unlikely though I don't have much to compare it with. Only other time I have had KFC in Thailand was 1999 in Bangkok and it was nasty.

I know how unhealthy the food is, but KFC in my opinion is by far the best cooked fast food restaurant around today. ( the other would be subway sandwiches )

To each their own I guess and I certainly cannot dispute their success but if KFC was the last food on Earth, I would eat my sandals.

KFC, is and always has been junk food. But, I'll say this, the Thailand version is very similar to Popeye's back in the states. While no chicken in the states, unless it is NOT commercial raised, should ever be eaten. At least here when I do eat KFC, as seldom as possible, there isn't a ton of fat dripping out and fat globules inside the chicken like in the states. I used to spend 15 minutes just cleaning out the fat from store bought chicken in the states, don't miss it at all. My grandparents raised their own, damn good and oh my could mamma fry a chicken.

The name change explanation is false. After Kentucky Fried Chicken started to use lab GROWN chicken versus farm raised chicken, the government stepped in and told them they had to change their name.

The chickens they GROW in these labs don't have heads (the body's are feed with tubes), don't have feathers and don't have feet. The government doesn't consider these "mutant" chickens real, therefore Kentucky Fried Chicken was banned to use the word "chicken" in it's name and all publications (menus,signs,etc). Don't worry, this type of chick is only served at KFC's in the US.

Yes coconut oil is very healthy, but just wanted you to know omega 6's are good for you also.

I watched the video with interest; always fun to find out interesting facts about everyday subjects. But I have to agree with the Colonel in that although it tastes good because of the salt, fat and sugar content it probably is the worst fast food you can buy. Probably the original KFC served in the colonel's personal kitchen was tasty and good for you but the corporate product is soaked in grease and marinated in salt and sugar. The culinary equivalent of smoking cigarettes. About once a year or two I would forget how terrible this stuff is and buy an order only to realize about half way through eating it how bad it really is. I have remembered for many years now and probably haven't eaten KFC at all in seven or eight years. I shudder when I pass a KFC outlet and see little kids eating the stuff. Child abuse.

The name change explanation is false. After Kentucky Fried Chicken started to use lab GROWN chicken versus farm raised chicken, the government stepped in and told them they had to change their name.

The chickens they GROW in these labs don't have heads (the body's are feed with tubes), don't have feathers and don't have feet. The government doesn't consider these "mutant" chickens real, therefore Kentucky Fried Chicken was banned to use the word "chicken" in it's name and all publications (menus,signs,etc). Don't worry, this type of chick is only served at KFC's in the US.

You forgot to mention the extra legs which double the drumstick output. Do you think they will succeed in including the 11 herbs and spices in the chicken DNA after the egg injections failed?

Omega 3's are good for you but omega 6's cause inflammation when the balance of the ratio is skewed towards this much less healthy form.

Please bear in mind that the ideal ratio of 3's to 6's is 2:1 or 1:1 and considering that the SAD is 40:1 in favour of omega 6's then this is setting you up for having massive inflammation in the body!!

So what, you may say, but you must realise that it is inflammation that causes heart attacks/strokes (not cholesterol) as well as promoting cancer , autoimmune diseases, liver disease and most other diseases that we suffer from.

It really is a double whammy as it raises the LDL cholesterol in the blood whilst lowering the HDL (the good guy). Again, it is the ratio between the two that is important (not the actual levels) and this is also propelled the wrong way leading to ill health. Add to this the fact that they use solvents such as hexane to make them crystal clear (to look appetising) and worse than that, they hydrogenate the oils to increase the shelf life and this results in the formation of trans-fats. This fat is so toxic, that the listed safe level of consumption is actually ZERO!!

Still think that highly processed vegetable oils are good for you? Don't believe 'big foods' propaganda and lies as all they are interested in is keeping their shareholders happy (at your expense) and they try every trick and form of deceit that they can to get around labelling laws to convince you that they are safe to eat.

My food is cooked at home and made from 'whole foods' - if I eat out then I order soups, barbecued fish and vegetables to minimise my exposure to these poisons. I NEVER eat street food - the smell of the rancid oils is enough to safeguard me from that, no matter how hungry I am!!

KFC, is and always has been junk food. But, I'll say this, the Thailand version is very similar to Popeye's back in the states. While no chicken in the states, unless it is NOT commercial raised, should ever be eaten. At least here when I do eat KFC, as seldom as possible, there isn't a ton of fat dripping out and fat globules inside the chicken like in the states. I used to spend 15 minutes just cleaning out the fat from store bought chicken in the states, don't miss it at all. My grandparents raised their own, damn good and oh my could mamma fry a chicken.