Department of Land Transport organizes taxis in Ratchaprasong

webfact

Department of Land Transport organizes taxis in Ratchaprasong

BANGKOK, 14 December 2015 (NNT) – 199 taxi drivers around the Ratchaprasong area have been found guilty, after officials monitored their behaviours for misconducts against passengers.

The Land Transport Department's director-general Sanit Promwong has disclosed that the Land Transport Department inspection team, police and military officers and the staff of four shopping malls have been monitoring the behavior of taxi drivers for two weeks.

The monitored area covers the four major shopping malls in the Ratchaprasong area, notoriously reported among the public regarding taxi misconducts. Officials survey the behaviours during 4.30 p.m. to 10 p.m. every day during 27 November to 10 December 2015. Up to 199 taxi drivers were found guilty.

173 of them refused to take the passengers. Nine of them did not use a meter and six did not display their driving licenses.

27 drivers were fined immediately, while the rest had to report to the authorities to check their offenses and re-enter into training, in order to create awareness of good service.

If a taxi driver is caught with repeated misconduct, their driving license will be suspended or revoked, according to their offense.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-14 footer_n.gif

I don't live in Bkk and haven't been there for many a long year. Last time the taxi driver at Morchit bus station did the ' pay xxx, no use meter ' routine.

My knowledge of Bkk taxis is now what i read in the forum etc but doesn't the Land Transport Dept regularly ' organise ' taxis but nothing seems to change ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

At the airport last year i had the worlds fastest meter. Did not trust the guy the moment i saw him and should have demanded another driver. The fare from the airport to Mochit should be about 250-260 baht. Mr. Piece of Crap taxi 660 baht.

That is actually the correct meter rate. I have often done the Swampy to Sofitel (very near Mochit) & it's always about 600 baht.

More traffic getting in to Mochit (I'm assuming the bus station), so 660 sounds about right.

At the airport last year i had the worlds fastest meter. Did not trust the guy the moment i saw him and should have demanded another driver. The fare from the airport to Mochit should be about 250-260 baht. Mr. Piece of Crap taxi 660 baht.

That is actually the correct meter rate. I have often done the Swampy to Sofitel (very near Mochit) & it's always about 600 baht.

More traffic getting in to Mochit (I'm assuming the bus station), so 660 sounds about right.

You must be unlucky and get the dodgy guy everytime. I live next to Chatuchak (Morchit). Taxi including tolls usually 250 - 300+

You must be unlucky and get the dodgy guy everytime. I live next to Chatuchak (Morchit). Taxi including tolls usually 250 - 300+
Yes ...250-300 is correct ..tolls on top.of course.

I know what the price is to our village ... a friend came to stay here ... got charged a couple of hundred baht more than he should have ...said it's only about four pounds so why worry .....taxi drivers get away with it time and time again ...BUT some are really genuine hard working nice guys and it's a shame for them to be tarred with the same brush ...

Edited by JAS21

'... the rest had to report to the authorities to ... re-enter into training, in order to create awareness of good service.' Oh, right. That'll do a lot of good, I'm sure.

'If a taxi driver is caught with repeated misconduct, their driving license will be suspended or revoked, according to their offense.' Always assuming they have one to revoke.

I doubt that. It sounds much more as though you have been done to a turn on a regular basis.