Gambian president declares country Islamic republic

webfact

Gambian president declares country Islamic republic

606x341_318826.jpg

BANJUL: -- The president of the Gambia has declared his country an Islamic Republic.

Yahya Jammeh claims the move marks a break with the colonial past and was in line with Gambia’s religious identity and values.

Over 90% of Gambians are Muslim.

Jammeh has said that no dress code would be imposed and people of other religions would be allowed practice freely.

Known for being an animated orator, Jammeh has earned a reputation for making surprise declarations since taking office 21-years-ago.

In 2013, he pulled Gambia out of the Commonwealth, claiming it was neo-colonial.

Relations with the EU have suffered in recent times with aid money suspended last year over its poor human rights record.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-14

It is arguably unnecessary to proclaim your country as an Islamic republic...just observing how you treat your women, children, and non-Muslim people proclaims your allegiance to the militant male dominated religion...you should be so proud..May Allah Be Praise...

It is arguably unnecessary to proclaim your country as an Islamic republic...just observing how you treat your women, children, and non-Muslim people proclaims your allegiance to the militant male dominated religion...you should be so proud..May Allah Be Praise...

I don't think I've argued on behalf of Islam many times but it's not all as you see. Not all countries are male dominated. Most of the Middle East allows women to dress how they like and gives them freedom, the same as men. Same in many Islamic African countries.

Wonderful news. A new ISIS caliphate, and to think the Gambia was thought of a progressive by African standards only a decade ago. At last we have somewhere we can deport birmingham and tower hamlets too. Lock stock and barrel.

When you have been in power for 21 years you can say what you darn well please. He is playing to the majority which is Muslim so that he can be ruler for life statues placed on every corner you know the usual maneuver for despots seeking eternal glory. Yes a caliphate could be in the cards for the future. It could be a progressive move but only to suit his own needs and desires. Does he have a harem?

I don't think I've argued on behalf of Islam many times but it's not all as you see. Not all countries are male dominated. Most of the Middle East allows women to dress how they like and gives them freedom, the same as men. Same in many Islamic African countries.

You don't know much about Sharia law, do you?

The guy earlier this year offered refuge for Rohingya, as far as I know the only Muslim majority country to have done so for years. But given his reputation for corruption more likely saw it as an opportunity for a scam. He has also declared a ban on FMG, which so long as it translates to enforced reality is a good thing.

I suppose the place will now be a magnate for the usual arse@#$%, but again he's saying the right words.

Christians would be given their own respect. Our relationship with all the rest of the religions…Nobody has the right to interfere with their way of life. The way they celebrate Christmas would continue. I have not appointed anyone as an Islamic policeman. The way women dress is not your business. You are a Muslim; she is a Muslim. You should not tell her the way she should dress because it not your business. In the next world, you cannot defend her. We will be an Islamic state that would respect the rights of all citizens and non citizens,”

http://www.freedomnewspaper.com/gambia-gambian-dictator-announces-to-transform-the-gambia-as-an-islamic-state/

Edited by simple1

Having lived the last 10 years in Muslim countries, I'd guess I know more than you!

Having lived the last 10 years in Muslim countries, I'd guess I know more than you!

So you ought to know that even in Middle East countries where such freedoms are law, the practice is quite different. More so with regard to rural areas, lower income communities, and devout Muslims. Certain cities, especially the more modern parts, could be somewhat misleading when it comes to this.

So you ought to know that even in Middle East countries where such freedoms are law, the practice is quite different. More so with regard to rural areas, lower income communities, and devout Muslims. Certain cities, especially the more modern parts, could be somewhat misleading when it comes to this.

You mean just like in Thailand?

You mean just like in Thailand?

No, not just like Thailand.

Jammeh has said that no dress code would be imposed (...)

Hey, better than Thailand, where yellow clothing is soon to be made mandatory.

wink.png <--- for the humour-impaired... but still, yellow. Phew.

Don't make fun of yellow shirts, yellow shirts are worn in respect of the monarchy!!!!!